* Including an active timestamp in encrypted (crypt) org entries
@ 2012-01-15  6:57 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2012-01-15  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi folks,

So I timestamp everything I input into my (org-based) GTD system (except
for inbox items, that I'm sure I will review soon anyway). Here's how I do
it:

* Sample entry
  <2012-01-15 Sun 00:52>

I have  (org-insert-time-stamp nil t nil) bound to C-x C-y and I just
insert it below the entry. This makes for a nice chronologic history of
every data in the system.

However, I have a problem with encrypted entries. Of course, if I add it as
part of the content to be encrypted, it will not appear as plain text, but
i tried to do like this:

1) Create the entry:

* Sample Entry

2) Write its contents
3) Tag with :crypt:

* Sample Entry :crypt:

3) Save the buffer. The contents are now encrypted:

* Sample Entry :crypt:
-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (Darwin)

hQEMA7MmqOB5vxnzAQgAy6tE4lj1uLMaAm8+dPL9N2LHxZsH+VWyiig6gY1rE0M0
Y1wDLDPYTIR+AUoSMGmU4S+9DZ9v4xoTBev4tjhtZIA9Lvw6aqf3Xlb2YGTJCCeq
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

4) Add the timestamp *before* the --BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-- line:

* Sample Entry :crypt:
  <2012-01-15 Sun 00:52>
-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----

5) Save again.

Expected: Encrypted message and timestamp to stay as is.
What happens: A new encrypted message is written, with the timestamp + the
"old" encrypted message as part of it.

Any hints appreciated :)

- Marcelo.

* Re: Including an active timestamp in encrypted (crypt) org entries
@ 2012-01-15  8:16 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-01-15  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> So I timestamp everything I input into my (org-based) GTD system (except for inbox items, that I'm
> sure I will review soon anyway). Here's how I do it:
>
> * Sample entry
>   <2012-01-15 Sun 00:52>
>
> I have  (org-insert-time-stamp nil t nil) bound to C-x C-y and I just insert it below the entry. This
> makes for a nice chronologic history of every data in the system.
>
> However, I have a problem with encrypted entries. Of course, if I add it as part of the content to be
> encrypted, it will not appear as plain text, but i tried to do like this:
>
> 1) Create the entry:
>
> * Sample Entry
>
> 2) Write its contents
> 3) Tag with :crypt:
>
> * Sample Entry :crypt:
>
> 3) Save the buffer. The contents are now encrypted:
>
> * Sample Entry :crypt:
> -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (Darwin)
>
> hQEMA7MmqOB5vxnzAQgAy6tE4lj1uLMaAm8+dPL9N2LHxZsH+VWyiig6gY1rE0M0
> Y1wDLDPYTIR+AUoSMGmU4S+9DZ9v4xoTBev4tjhtZIA9Lvw6aqf3Xlb2YGTJCCeq
> -----END PGP MESSAGE-----
>
> 4) Add the timestamp *before* the --BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-- line:
>
> * Sample Entry :crypt:
>   <2012-01-15 Sun 00:52>
> -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
>
> 5) Save again.
>
> Expected: Encrypted message and timestamp to stay as is.
> What happens: A new encrypted message is written, with the timestamp + the "old" encrypted message as
> part of it.
>
> Any hints appreciated :)

Maybe (untried, untested) put the timestamp on the headline?

* Sample entry <2012-01-15 Sun 00:52> :crypt:

Nick

* Re: Including an active timestamp in encrypted (crypt) org entries
@ 2012-01-15  8:23 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-01-15  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org Mode

[2nd attempt: I think the first one went astray]

@ 2012-01-15 12:38 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-01-15 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Expected: Encrypted message and timestamp to stay as is.
> What happens: A new encrypted message is written, with the timestamp
> + the "old" encrypted message as part of it.
>
> Any hints appreciated :)

Put the timestamp in the header.

* Re: Including an active timestamp in encrypted (crypt) org entries
@ 2012-01-16 14:27   ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2012-01-16 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Org encrypts everything inside a heading with the chosen tag. It does not
try to be "smart" and decide what should and what should not be encrypted
inside that heading.

Putting the time-stamp in the headline as suggested by others should work,
since org uses that information and the heading itself is not encrypted.

Another solution is to put the information that must be encrypted inside a
subheading and encrypt only the subheading. This way you can have all the
usual org data (schedule, deadline timestamps, lognotes, etc) in the main
heading and profit from the org power while all your sensitive data is
still encrypted.

--
Darlan