* dependencies and schedule repeater problem
@ 2011-11-01 10:17 Sandra Snan
From: Sandra Snan @ 2011-11-01 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

What I want is that if I look at my list of things to do, and I’ve
already swept the floor and marked it as done, it shouldn’t bother me
anymore for the day, but pop up the next day.
And if I’ve swept the floor, I’ll be presented with the opportunity to
also mop the floor, if it’s been a week since last time. (And I don’t
want to mop an unswept floor. And I don’t need to mop every time I
sweep.)

This is what I have now.

I’m using GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d
scroll bars) of 2010-12-11 on brahms, modified by Debian and the
version of org-mode that came with it.

* TODO mop the floor :home:
  SCHEDULED: <2011-11-01 Tue .+1w>
** TODO sweep the floor
   SCHEDULED: <2011-11-01 Tue .+1d>

I have a custom agenda search that hides future items.
For example, expressions like
("hh" tags-todo "home+SCHEDULED=\"\"|SCHEDULED<=\"<today>\"")
deep inside org-agenda-custom-commands.

I have custom-set
 '(org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks (quote invisible))
 '(org-enforce-todo-dependencies t)

The problem is that “sweep the floor” never gets marked done since it
has a repeater, so “mop the floor” never becomes visible.

Can I fix this problem, or can I get the desired behavior some other way?

Thank you,
Sandra

PS
“mop the floor” and “sweep the floor” are just examples and so are the
specific intervals. I have many different repeating and depending
tasks that work like this.

* Re: dependencies and schedule repeater problem
@ 2011-11-02 20:49 ` Shelagh Manton
From: Shelagh Manton @ 2011-11-02 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 11:17:51 +0100, Sandra Snan wrote:

> What I want is that if I look at my list of things to do, and I’ve
> already swept the floor and marked it as done, it shouldn’t bother me
> anymore for the day, but pop up the next day. And if I’ve swept the
> floor, I’ll be presented with the opportunity to also mop the floor, if
> it’s been a week since last time. (And I don’t want to mop an unswept
> floor. And I don’t need to mop every time I sweep.)
>

> This is what I have now.
>
> I’m using GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
> bars) of 2010-12-11 on brahms, modified by Debian and the version of
> org-mode that came with it.
>
> * TODO mop the floor :home:
>   SCHEDULED: <2011-11-01 Tue .+1w>
> ** TODO sweep the floor
>    SCHEDULED: <2011-11-01 Tue .+1d>
>
> I have a custom agenda search that hides future items. For example,
> expressions like
> ("hh" tags-todo "home+SCHEDULED=\"\"|SCHEDULED<=\"<today>\"") deep
> inside org-agenda-custom-commands.
>
> I have custom-set
>  '(org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks (quote invisible))
>  '(org-enforce-todo-dependencies t)
>
> The problem is that “sweep the floor” never gets marked done since it
> has a repeater, so “mop the floor” never becomes visible.
>
> Can I fix this problem, or can I get the desired behavior some other
> way?
>
> Thank you,
> Sandra

> PS
> “mop the floor” and “sweep the floor” are just examples and so are the
> specific intervals. I have many different repeating and depending tasks
> that work like this.

Sandra

you might like to look at org-depend module if you have complicated
dependency problems, but another way to "repeat" is to not use the
repeater notation which never gives you a done chore but to use the clone
subtree shift time (which you can find in the menu for edit structure)

Just some quick thoughts.

Shelagh