* Hide table columns on export
@ 2011-08-16 20:05 Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2011-08-16 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there a way to hide certain columns of a table when exporting?

I know the "/" will hide rows, and "<>" can group columns, but haven't
been able to find any way to hide certain columns on export? The
rationale being that I use some column for intermediary calculations
that I don't want to see in the export.

Thanks for any pointers!
--
Johnny

* Re: Hide table columns on export
@ 2011-08-16 21:38 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-08-16 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> wrote:

> Is there a way to hide certain columns of a table when exporting?
>
> I know the "/" will hide rows, and "<>" can group columns, but haven't
> been able to find any way to hide certain columns on export? The
> rationale being that I use some column for intermediary calculations
> that I don't want to see in the export.
>
> Thanks for any pointers!

I don't know of any way to do that within org and it might be a nice
feature to have.

But it's always good to remember that "it's all just text (TM)" and
you have emacs as well as org backing you up.

In this particular case, you could easily kill the columns you don't
want to export (with M-S-left in a table context), do the export (C-c e
h or whatever) and then undo (C-x u) enough times to get back to where
you started.

Nick

* Re: Hide table columns on export
@ 2011-08-17  6:07   ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2011-08-17  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to hide certain columns of a table when exporting?
>
> In this particular case, you could easily kill the columns you don't
> want to export (with M-S-left in a table context), do the export (C-c e
> h or whatever) and then undo (C-x u) enough times to get back to where
> you started.

Thanks, I will use this as a workaround, but at the same time put in a
feature request to hide columns. Maybe it is possible to expand the
group functionality to include a symbol that indicates the group should
also be hidden on export? E.g. something like "|<<  |  |  >", or any
other symbol if double "<<" within one column is not easy to implement.

@ 2011-08-17 15:01     ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2011-08-17 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

I didn't test this, but I think you can do what you want with org-babel
without too much work.

Just put the table somewhere that is not exported and put a src block that
receives the table where you want the table to appear.

--
Darlan

At Wed, 17 Aug 2011 07:07:56 +0100,