* Referring to ID in other Org-mode file
@ 2011-07-23 15:05 Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2011-07-23 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

How can I refer to an ID in another Org-mode file (withing the same
folder)?

,----[ file:foo.org ]
`----

,----[ file:bar.org ]
| I would like you to point to id:foo.org#interesting
`----

The link like this does not (yet) work. How can I accomplish this?

I was searching in the Org-mode manual but could not find any
solution for my problem. Either this is not possible or I could not
find the (existing) solution yet.

--
Karl Voit

* Re: Referring to ID in other Org-mode file
@ 2011-07-23 15:15 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-07-23 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Karl Voit <devnull@karl-voit.at> wrote:
> I would like you to point to id:foo.org#interesting

This should work:

[[id:interesting][Description]]

--
Suvayu

* Re: Referring to ID in other Org-mode file
@ 2011-07-23 15:45 ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-07-23 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> How can I refer to an ID in another Org-mode file (withing the same
> folder)?
[...]

,----[ (info "(org)Search options") ]
|    Here is the syntax of the different ways to attach a search to a file
| link, together with an explanation:
|
|      [[file:~/code/main.c::255]]
|      [[file:~/xx.org::My Target]]
|      [[file:~/xx.org::*My Target]]
!      [[file:~/xx.org::#my-custom-id]]
|      [[file:~/xx.org::/regexp/]]
`----

?

Memnon

* Re: Referring to ID in other Org-mode file
@ 2011-07-23 16:32   ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2011-07-23 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Karl Voit <devnull@karl-voit.at> wrote:
>> I would like you to point to id:foo.org#interesting
>
> This should work:
> [[id:interesting][Description]]

Wow, this worked indeed! I assumed that this would work only within
files of org-agenda-files.

Thanks!

--

@ 2011-07-23 16:45   ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2011-07-23 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> How can I refer to an ID in another Org-mode file (withing the same
>> folder)?
> [...]
>> I was searching in the Org-mode manual but could not find any
>> solution for my problem. Either this is not possible or I could not
>> find the (existing) solution yet.
>
> ,----[ (info "(org)Search options") ]
> `----

Sorry, I was not searching good enough. Shame on me :-(

In this case, that method is exactly what I need:

            file:README.org::*foobar

Since GitHub's interpretation of Org-mode files is not that
perfect I want to avoid drawers containing IDs at all.[1]

The more I am using Org-mode the more I see its beauty :-)

  1. https://github.com/novoid/Memacs
--

@ 2011-07-25 18:14     ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2011-07-25 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: news1142; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

You don't need to type this manually. Use org-store-link (usually "C-c l")
in a sub-tree to store the link (it uses the sub-tree's id - it will ever
create an id if there isn't one already). Then use org-insert-link (usually
"C-c C-l") to insert the link.

--
Darlan

At Sat, 23 Jul 2011 18:45:01 +0200,