* [babel] How to set multiple variables with properties
@ 2011-06-21 18:42 Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2011-06-21 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using org-babel to automate a few tasks and I'd like to define a few
variables that are common to several code blocks as sub-tree properties.

It works when I have only one variable, where I can use
* Heading
  :PROPERTY:
  :var: variable1="value1"
  :END:
  #+begin_src python :results output
    print variable1
  #+end_src

  #+results:
  : value1

Is it possible to set multiples variables in this way?
I tried things like
:PROPERTY:
:var: variable1="value1" variable2="value2"
:END:

:PROPERTY:
:var: variable1="value1",variable2="value2"
:END:

:PROPERTY:
:variable1: "value1"
:variable2: "value2"
:END:
but none of them worked.

--
Darlan Cavalcante

* Re: [babel] How to set multiple variables with properties
@ 2011-06-21 20:17 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-06-21 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Unfortunately org-mode properties only allow a single entry for any
given key, so you can only specify one variable using properties.

However the following workaround does exist.

*** alternative
    :PROPERTIES:
    :var:      vars=variables
    :END:

#+tblname: variables
| var1 | 1 |
| var2 | 2 |

#+begin_src python
  print vars[0][1]
  print vars[1][1]
#+end_src

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: [babel] How to set multiple variables with properties
@ 2011-06-21 21:01   ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-06-21 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Eric,

Just curious: What about the org-entry--multivalued-property functions
mentioned in "Using the properties API"?

Is anybody using multivalued properties for anything?

Yours,
Christian

@ 2011-06-21 21:03     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-06-21 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Christian,

That's the first I've heard of that variable?  If you do get something
working with multivalued properties please do share.

Cheers -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: [babel] How to set multiple variables with properties
@ 2011-06-22  1:03   ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2011-06-22  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Eric,

I'll minimize the need of this by using "#+babel: var=something" for
variables that are common to many blocks.

The tip with the table is a good one also.

--
Darlan Cavalcante

@ 2011-06-22 18:27       ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-06-22 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again,

I was referring to these functions:
- org-entry-put-multivalued-property
- org-entry-get-multivalued-property
- org-entry-add-to-multivalued-property
- org-entry-remove-from-multivalued-property
- org-entry-member-in-multivalued-property
described here:
http://orgmode.org/manual/Using-the-property-API.html

I've found a few discussions:
- http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/33457
- http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-02/msg00251.html

I don't have anything working with them, as such,[1] and I was curious
if anyone did. They don't currently seem to be integrated into
completion, search functions, Babel, and so on, which would limit
their usefulness (though searching can be done with regexps). And I
think implementing wider support for them would run into a problem
with distinguishing between properties that are meant to be
multivalued, or and properties that just contain a single value which
happens to contain spaces.

But handling multiple var=value expressions in a :var: property for
Babel, as Darlan asked about, might perhaps be doable...? Stuff might
break, though.

Yours,
Christian

[1] I do have a small research database with some "multivalued"
properties in it. For queries, I use your org-collector and regular
expression matching against properties with multiple values. The
multivalued-properties functions didn't really come into it, except
that knowing they were there made me go ahead and put multiple values
in one property. (As it turned out, that wasn't a very good design
choice.)

@ 2011-06-23  1:38         ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2011-06-23  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

One of the things I tried (that didn't work, otherwise I would not have
sent any e-mail) was
:PROPERTY:
:var: variable1="value1" :var variable2="value2"
:END:

I thought that maybe babel would just ask org what is the value of :var:,
put ":var" before it, and include this in the block header. Therefore I
would get the effect of adding
":var variable1="value1" :var variable2="value2""
in the block header and it could work.

However, even if this method had worked It would not be flexible. One of
the nice things about properties is inheritance. I would like to define
"general variables" as properties in level-1 headings and define more
specific variables in the sub-headings as necessary. However, if babel
always use :var: as the property then defining a variable in a subheading
will overwrite the upper level variable.

The best option in my use-case-scenario would be some name scheme to
identify variable definitions for org-babel. For instance
:PROPERTY:
:ob-someVariable:      "some string maybe with\nline breaks"
:ob-someOtherVariable: 123456
:END:
would make the variables "someVariable" and "someOtherVariable" known to
org-babel.

--
Darlan Cavalcante

@ 2011-06-24  5:25         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-06-24  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Christian,

I took a look at these functions, while they do seem to work they don't
provide for any inheritance from higher-level subtrees.  I think this is
a deal-breaker for use resolving header arguments as inheritance is
generally more useful than multiple values.

Thanks for pointing these out, at some point I do think that it may be
worth taking a look at how Org-mode resolves properties generally.

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: [babel] How to set multiple variables with properties
@ 2011-06-24  5:28           ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-06-24  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think that a solution more integrated with the rest of Org-mode's
property handling would be preferable.  That is to say, there should be
a way to collect multiple value for a property in Org-mode, and Babel
should simply make use of the more general facility.

This doesn't exist yet, but I'd rather wait for the general Org solution
than push through a temporary Babel-specific solution.

Cheers -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/