From: lukeflo@posteo.de
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: [BUG] Get "Args out of range" when trying to link heading with completion from inside a footnote
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 21:04:50 +0000	[thread overview]

Hello everybody,

I'm writing a thesis and having trouble linking internal headings from
within footnotes of my document. Its the first time I'm submitting to
the mailing list, so if I oversaw some rules, just tell me so I can
learn about it.

My problem is the following. When I create a footnote with C-c C-x f or
org-footnote-new, and then try to link to an internal heading of my
document typing [[*xyz]] and hitting M-tab for completion, I get nothing
but the message in the minibuffer which says "args-out-of-range "" 1
nil". If I manually type the name of the heading and export to PDF
through LaTeX, the result is fine. But since some Headings are really
long, auto-completion would be very helpful here. From everywhere else
inside my document auto-completion for internal links works fine.

First I thought it might be due to my init settings and my completion
package (corfu with cape and orderless). But the error remains even when
I find a new file from the CLI with `emacs -q test.org` with the simple
content of:

* A heading

Some great text. [fn:1]

* Footnotes

[fn:1] Link to [[*]]

The behaviour is the same as described above. When hitting M-tab after
the asterisk, I still get "Args out of range: "", 1, nil" and nothing
further happens.

Thus, it seems like a bug to me, since it is not working even with this
very simple setup.

I'm looking forward for some hints, a solution or even a reproof if I
propably made an error.

Best,
lukeflo