From: "Christopher J. White" <orgmode@grierwhite.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Org Mode TOOD two way sync tool
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 08:03:05 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi Karra,

I've been working on org-toodledo.el to perform bi-directional sync of
TODO items with the Toodledo server, and faced many of the same issues
you raise about figuring out the exact format and grammar of a TODO item.

You may find looking at my source useful, either as inspiration,
integration, or just understanding what fields are what.

The general approach was to build an object that represents a parsed
TODO item, and fill that in from either the org-buffer TODO items, or
from items retrieved from the server.  That object can then be compared
to others (one from the server and one from the local buffer), converted
to a new org TODO, sent to the server as a new TODO, etc.  The
components of the TODO item are obviously targeted to what makes sense
for Toodledo, but I think they are fairly generic.

You might also look at org-element.el which I recently learned about
which may also help.  I have it on my TODO list to learn more about it
to see if I can't refactor org-toodledo to leverage it.  It is more
geared toward generic org items as opposed to specifically TODO items.

...cj