All right, preliminary patch is attached, *maybe* good enough for more serious consideration now, but might need some fixes. Still only uses ordinary regexps and plain-text strings, but can now handle the example with formatting-breaks next to quotes. Things have been moved into more appropriate locations, made customs, docstrings and types fixed, etc, etc. It supports onscreen display of "smart" quotes (when enabled); I have the quotes displayed in org-document-info face so they are slightly distinct, to make it clearer that they are "altered" from what they are in the plain text. This may or may not be a popular (or good) idea. I have also built it into the new export engine in org-e-latex and org-e-html as proofs of concept. I'm not positive the latex one will work properly for German, though; there might need to be something enabled in LaTeX for it to format ,, into „. It should probably be set not to smartify quotes onscreen in comments; I haven't done that yet. Comments welcome; I hope I didn't complicate matters in the export engines too much. ~mark