From: Reid Priedhorsky <reid@reidster.net>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: rebinding Tab key
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 11:10:28 -0600	[thread overview]

Hi,

I'm an org-mode newbie just getting started. I use a lot of other
software where Tab means "indent this outline item more" and Shift-Tab
means "indent this outline item less", so I'd like to make org-mode
behave consistently. Also, I use Meta-Right/Left in other contexts for
expanding and collapsing outline; again, I'd like to make org-mode
consistent.

(I've looked in the FAQ and manual, and searched the web and the mailing
list but didn't come up with anything. I apologize in advance if I've
missed something.)

More specifically, I'd like the following keybindings:

M-RIGHT - progressively expand headline
   if headline is in state OVERVIEW, change to CONTENTS
   if headline is in CONTENTS, change to SHOW ALL
   if headline is in SHOW ALL, do nothing

M-LEFT - progressively collapse headline
   if headline is in SHOW ALL, change to CONTENTS
   if headline is in CONTENTS, change to OVERVIEW
   if headline is in OVERVIEW, do nothing

M-S-RIGHT - progressively expand whole file
M-S-LEFT - progressively collapse whole file
   same as without Shift, but apply to whole file instead of headline

TAB - demote current subtree (what's now bound to M-S-RIGHT)
S-TAB - promote current subtree (now bound to M-S-LEFT)

I see that TAB normally does a lot of other stuff in addition to
rotating states. It would be nice to keep this, but I'm willing to give
it up for now.

Is this possible to do this without writing a lot of elisp? I know very
little elisp; I did find the definition of org-cycle in org.el, but I
think hacking it is beyond me (for the amount of effort I'm willing to
invest).

Thanks,
Reid

--
IM (Google Chat):    reid.priedhorsky@gmail.com (not a valid e-mail)

E-mail response time: I check e-mail periodically throughout the day,
not continually, so I might not see your note for several hours.
Please use IM or phone if you need an immediate response.