* "Wrapping" section into LaTeX statements?
@ 2012-05-11  9:43 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-05-11  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I want to wrap a section of a document into LaTeX statements, as I would like to redefine
\subsectionbreak so that it does a \pagebreak before - but *only in one section*:

* A normal section
* Here I want the redefinition
#+BEGIN_LaTeX
  \let\oldsubsection = \subsection
  \renewcommand{\subsection}[1]{
    \pagebreak{}
    \oldsubsection{#1}
  }
#+END_LaTeX
** subsection 1
** subsection 2
* And here I want to use the old sectionbreak
#+BEGIN_LaTeX
  \renewcommand{\subsection}[1]{
    \oldsubsection{#1}
  }
#+END_LaTeX
** subsection 1
** subsection 2

Now I can do this as above, but I don't like it, as the second LaTeX code actually should be at
the end of the previous section and if I insert a section, I have to move the LaTeX code.

I could put it into the previous section, but then it would be in the subsection 2, and if I add a
subsection 3, I would have to move the LaTeX code into this subsection.

So nothing is optimal - is there an alternative which makes more sense and is easier to maintain?

Thanks,

Rainer

- --
Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
(Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: "Wrapping" section into LaTeX statements?
@ 2012-05-11 15:57 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-05-11 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R.M.Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> I want to wrap a section of a document into LaTeX statements, as I would like to redefine
> \subsectionbreak so that it does a \pagebreak before - but *only in one section*:
>
> * A normal section
> * Here I want the redefinition
> #+BEGIN_LaTeX
>   \let\oldsubsection = \subsection
>   \renewcommand{\subsection}[1]{
>     \pagebreak{}
>     \oldsubsection{#1}
>   }
> #+END_LaTeX
> ** subsection 1
> ** subsection 2
> * And here I want to use the old sectionbreak
> #+BEGIN_LaTeX
>   \renewcommand{\subsection}[1]{
>     \oldsubsection{#1}
>   }
> #+END_LaTeX
> ** subsection 1
> ** subsection 2
>
> Now I can do this as above, but I don't like it, as the second LaTeX code actually should be at
> the end of the previous section and if I insert a section, I have to move the LaTeX code.
>
> I could put it into the previous section, but then it would be in the subsection 2, and if I add a
> subsection 3, I would have to move the LaTeX code into this subsection.
>
> So nothing is optimal - is there an alternative which makes more sense and is easier to maintain?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rainer
Aloha Rainer,

* section

\pagebreak
** subsection 1
** subsection 2

Would this work?  Note that \pagebreak doesn't have a required
argument--the optional argument \pagebreak[] lets LaTeX decide whether
or not to break the page.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: "Wrapping" section into LaTeX statements?
@ 2012-05-14  7:33   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-05-14  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 11/05/12 17:57, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I want to wrap a section of a document into LaTeX statements, as I would like to redefine
>> \subsectionbreak so that it does a \pagebreak before - but *only in one section*:
>>
>> * A normal section * Here I want the redefinition #+BEGIN_LaTeX \let\oldsubsection =
>> \subsection \renewcommand{\subsection}[1]{ \pagebreak{} \oldsubsection{#1} } #+END_LaTeX **
>> subsection 1 ** subsection 2 * And here I want to use the old sectionbreak #+BEGIN_LaTeX
>> \renewcommand{\subsection}[1]{ \oldsubsection{#1} } #+END_LaTeX ** subsection 1 ** subsection
>> 2
>>
>> Now I can do this as above, but I don't like it, as the second LaTeX code actually should be
>> at the end of the previous section and if I insert a section, I have to move the LaTeX code.
>>
>> I could put it into the previous section, but then it would be in the subsection 2, and if I
>> add a subsection 3, I would have to move the LaTeX code into this subsection.
>>
>> So nothing is optimal - is there an alternative which makes more sense and is easier to
>> maintain?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rainer
> Aloha Rainer,
>
> * section
>
> \pagebreak ** subsection 1 ** subsection 2
>
> Would this work?  Note that \pagebreak doesn't have a required argument--the optional argument
> \pagebreak[] lets LaTeX decide whether or not to break the page.

Thank - but I would like to have a pagebreak before *each* subsection in a section. Without doubt,
I could use \pagebreak before each subsection header, but it is easier to redefine \subsection{}
for this section and to set it back to the original afterwards.

Cheers,

Rainer

> All the best, Tom

- --