* Can I export from org mode to org mode?
@ 2012-05-04  6:47 Piter_
From: Piter_ @ 2012-05-04  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi everybody.
I keep my notes in one big org file. It have grown big
One solution could be filtering tree and display only the information I need,
another id to split it into smaller files by topic.
I would appreciate a hint on how to do the later.

Thanks.
Petro.

* Re: Can I export from org mode to org mode?
@ 2012-05-04  8:16 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-05-04  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I keep my notes in one big org file. It have grown big
> One solution could be filtering tree and display only the information I need,
> another id to split it into smaller files by topic.
> I would appreciate a hint on how to do the later.

Not the answer you're looking for, but you can archive old stuff to a
separate org file.  Just position the cursor on a node and `C-c C-x C-a'

* Re: Can I export from org mode to org mode?
@ 2012-05-04 13:21     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-05-04 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: x.piter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

<x.piter@gmail.com> writes:

> William Gardella <gardellawg@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Thanks for your replies. I will try it.
> Another thing I have not been able to find is "export current node"
> command (into pdf or odt (preferably)). Let's say I have a node witch contains  a table and
> want to convert it into odt format. Is there a command to do it? I know
> that I can copy paste it into a new file, but I will be doing it quite
> often (no one around uses org-mode, and I have to share data).
> Thanks.

You can first mark the subtree with C-c @ which runs `org-mark-subtree',
then subsequent export operations will only run on the marked subtree.

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: Can I export from org mode to org mode?
@ 2012-05-04 14:37 ` William Gardella
From: William Gardella @ 2012-05-04 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Piter_ <x.piter@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi everybody.
> I keep my notes in one big org file. It have grown big
> One solution could be filtering tree and display only the information I need,
> another id to split it into smaller files by topic.
> I would appreciate a hint on how to do the later.
>
> Thanks.
> Petro.

Hi there,

You could try something like this:  change your Org setup to include

(setq org-refile-use-outline-path 'file)

and then you can `org-refile' headlines in your One Big Org File to
other files, or subtrees of other files.  Use this together with the
`org-sparse-tree' to limit your view by regexp, tags or properties
before refiling; that way the file will appear less big and hairy as you
work.

Good luck!

-WGG

* Re: Can I export from org mode to org mode?
@ 2012-05-04 15:16   ` x.piter
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: x.piter @ 2012-05-04 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

@ 2012-05-04 15:29     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-05-04 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: x.piter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM,  <x.piter@gmail.com> wrote:
> William Gardella <gardellawg@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Thanks for your replies. I will try it.
> Another thing I have not been able to find is "export current node"
> command (into pdf or odt (preferably)). Let's say I have a node witch contains  a table and
> want to convert it into odt format. Is there a command to do it? I know
> that I can copy paste it into a new file, but I will be doing it quite
> often (no one around uses org-mode, and I have to share data).
> Thanks.

C-c C-e 1 + export type [p/o/h] will only export the headline on which
the cursor resides.

Fantastic feature that I only recently discovered myself :)

If various things are spread around, you can also visit those
headlines, tag with :export: (C-c C-c) and then run C-c C-e as usual
to export those. Then I'll do C-c / m export RET to show only the
headlines tagged export and untag them when I'm finished.

John

@ 2012-05-04 15:30     ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2012-05-04 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: x.piter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

To export current node:

After `C-c C-e', you get a list of options. Press `1' to export the
current subtree rather than the whole buffer, then go on to specify
the backend (e.g. `O' to export to ODT and open, `d' to export to pdf
and open).

It might be a good idea if the manual page on `The export dispatcher'
also described these options.

Yours,
Christian