* multiple date_tree values possible in a single file
@ 2012-04-12  1:34 Stuart McLean
From: Stuart McLean @ 2012-04-12  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello, everyone

I really like the date tree hierarchy. I was wondering whether it was
possible to use
multiple date_tree hierarchies in a single file, or how one would go
about setting it up.

For example

* Items TODO
** tree 1
   :PROPERTIES:
   :DATE_TREE: t
   :END:
** tree 2
   :PROPERTIES:
   :DATE_TREE: t
   :END:

I don't think i can get this to work. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Stuart

* Re: multiple date_tree values possible in a single file
@ 2012-04-12  4:36 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-04-12  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stuart McLean; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Stuart McLean <smclean0640@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, everyone
>
> I really like the date tree hierarchy. I was wondering whether it was
> possible to use
> multiple date_tree hierarchies in a single file, or how one would go
> about setting it up.
>
> For example
>
> * Items TODO
> ** tree 1
>    :PROPERTIES:
>    :DATE_TREE: t
>    :END:
> ** tree 2
>    :PROPERTIES:
>    :DATE_TREE: t
>    :END:
>
> I don't think i can get this to work. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what you mean: what exactly can you not get to work?

Nick

* Re: multiple date_tree values possible in a single file
@ 2012-04-12 14:28   ` Stuart McLean
From: Stuart McLean @ 2012-04-12 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi, Nick

I have expressed myself poorly. It is not so much what I can not get to
work. It is more "is such-and-such possible". I would like to have two headings
in one file, and to be able to use `org-capture' to file notes under
each of them
in a date-tree. I know you can file notes under an individual heading
using the DATE_TREE property, but how would you use this for two
different headings?

I hope this is a little more clear,

Stuart

@ 2012-04-12 14:55     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-04-12 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stuart McLean; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Stuart McLean <smclean0640@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Nick
>
> I have expressed myself poorly. It is not so much what I can not get to
> work. It is more "is such-and-such possible". I would like to have two headings
> in one file, and to be able to use `org-capture' to file notes under
> each of them
> in a date-tree. I know you can file notes under an individual heading
> using the DATE_TREE property, but how would you use this for two
> different headings?
>
> I hope this is a little more clear,

Yes, thanks!

The docs seem to imply that you cannot do that indeed: the file+datetree
target takes a filename arg, but no heading arg, and afaik they all end
up in the same date tree, i.e. the date tree provides the top level
structure. Cursory experimentation confirms that, but I may have missed
something.

Nick

* Re: multiple date_tree values possible in a single file
@ 2012-04-13 19:47       ` Stuart McLean
From: Stuart McLean @ 2012-04-13 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks, Nick

That is what I thought, but I wanted to be sure.

Stuart

@ 2012-04-14 13:23       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2012-04-14 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Stuart McLean, emacs-orgmode

On 12.4.2012, at 16:55, Nick Dokos wrote:

> Stuart McLean <smclean0640@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, Nick
>>
>> I have expressed myself poorly. It is not so much what I can not get to
>> work. It is more "is such-and-such possible". I would like to have two headings
>> in one file, and to be able to use `org-capture' to file notes under
>> each of them
>> in a date-tree. I know you can file notes under an individual heading
>> using the DATE_TREE property, but how would you use this for two
>> different headings?
>>
>> I hope this is a little more clear,
>>
> Yes, thanks!
>
> The docs seem to imply that you cannot do that indeed: the file+datetree
> target takes a filename arg, but no heading arg, and afaik they all end
> up in the same date tree, i.e. the date tree provides the top level
> structure. Cursory experimentation confirms that, but I may have missed
> something.

It would be useful to allow an heading argument - nice exercise for someone… ?

- Carsten

@ 2012-04-14 22:14         ` T.F. Torrey
From: T.F. Torrey @ 2012-04-14 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> I would like to have two headings
>>> in one file, and to be able to use `org-capture' to file notes under
>>> each of them
>>> in a date-tree. I know you can file notes under an individual heading
>>> using the DATE_TREE property, but how would you use this for two
>>> different headings?
>>
>> The docs seem to imply that you cannot do that indeed: the file+datetree
>> target takes a filename arg, but no heading arg, and afaik they all end
>> up in the same date tree, i.e. the date tree provides the top level
>> structure. Cursory experimentation confirms that, but I may have missed
>> something.
>
> It would be useful to allow an heading argument - nice exercise for someone… ?
>
> - Carsten

+1

* Re: multiple date_tree values possible in a single file
@ 2012-04-15 20:43         ` Simon Thum
From: Simon Thum @ 2012-04-15 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Stuart McLean, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

On 04/14/2012 03:23 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On 12.4.2012, at 16:55, Nick Dokos wrote:
>
>> Stuart McLean<smclean0640@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Nick
>>>
>>> I have expressed myself poorly. It is not so much what I can not get to
>>> work. It is more "is such-and-such possible". I would like to have two headings
>>> in one file, and to be able to use `org-capture' to file notes under
>>> each of them
>>> in a date-tree. I know you can file notes under an individual heading
>>> using the DATE_TREE property, but how would you use this for two
>>> different headings?
>>>
>>> I hope this is a little more clear,
>>>
>> Yes, thanks!
>>
>> The docs seem to imply that you cannot do that indeed: the file+datetree
>> target takes a filename arg, but no heading arg, and afaik they all end
>> up in the same date tree, i.e. the date tree provides the top level
>> structure. Cursory experimentation confirms that, but I may have missed
>> something.
>
> It would be useful to allow an heading argument - nice exercise for someone… ?
+1

FWIW, my workaround is to set up multiple templates with different tags,
and then filtering by tag if I only want to see those from a certain
template.

But it's probably not too hard to do better.

Cheers,

Simon