* Org release 7.8.08 (BUGFIX-only release)
@ 2012-04-02 16:41 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-02 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I released 7.8.08.

This release fixes the most obvious problems introduced
by the renaming of some variables in Org 7.8.07.

Please spread the word and test this release heavily.

  http://orgmode.org/org-7.8.08.zip
  http://orgmode.org/org-7.8.08.tar.gz
  http://orgmode.org/org-mode-download.html

 Bastien

* Re: Org release 7.8.08 (BUGFIX-only release)
@ 2012-04-02 18:07 ` Chris Randle
From: Chris Randle @ 2012-04-02 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

On 2012-04-02 17:41, Bastien wrote:
> I released 7.8.08.
<snip>
> Please spread the word and test this release heavily.

org-version reports 7.8.07

--
Chris Randle

* Re: Org release 7.8.08 (BUGFIX-only release)
@ 2012-04-02 18:18   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-02 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Randle; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Chris Randle <chris@amlog.co.uk> writes:

> org-version reports 7.8.07

Fixed.

--

@ 2012-04-02 18:21     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-04-02 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:
> Chris Randle <chris@amlog.co.uk> writes:
>
>> org-version reports 7.8.07
>
> Fixed.

...and if you already picked up the un-annotated tag in your cloned
repo: you need to

git tag -d release_7.8.08
git remote update

to get the correct version.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: Org release 7.8.08 (BUGFIX-only release)
@ 2012-04-03 17:17     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-04-03 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:
> Chris Randle <chris@amlog.co.uk> writes:
>
>> org-version reports 7.8.07
>
> Fixed.

I think you've either not pushed the fixed (annotated) tag to the server
yet or it has rejected the push (in this case you must delete the tag on
the server first and then push it again).

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Org release 7.8.08 (BUGFIX-only release)
@ 2012-04-04  7:03       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-04  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Bastien writes:
>> Chris Randle <chris@amlog.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>> org-version reports 7.8.07
>>
>> Fixed.
>
> I think you've either not pushed the fixed (annotated) tag to the server
> yet or it has rejected the push (in this case you must delete the tag on
> the server first and then push it again).

Not sure I understand: the tag release_7.8.08 *is* on the server and was
pushed from the maint branch (see http://orgmode.org/w/org-mode.git).

Do you mean I need to annotate it?  (I will do.)

--

@ 2012-04-04 19:36         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-04-04 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:
> Not sure I understand: the tag release_7.8.08 *is* on the server and was
> pushed from the maint branch (see http://orgmode.org/w/org-mode.git).

Git has two types of tags: lightweight, which really aren't much more
than a different way to mark the head of a tree without actually
creating a branch at that point.  The second kind is the annotated one,
which is more like a commit - it comes with a description like a commit,
just not with a change set.

> Do you mean I need to annotate it?  (I will do.)

Yes, from the git-tag man page:

  By default (without --all or --tags) git describe only shows annotated
  tags. For more information about creating annotated tags see the -a
  and -s options to git-tag(1).

This is a peculiar choice, but it makes much sense when considering that
release tags would almost always be annotated ones (they could carry the
changelog between releases for instance).  Now if you use only
lightweight tags for keeping track of various points in you Git history
by name, git describe will still pick up the release tags and not your
nilly-willy ones.

Regards,
Achim.