* Date-tree navigation question
@ 2012-03-05 15:28 Robert Horn
From: Robert Horn @ 2012-03-05 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode list

Is there a short simple key sequence that will take you to the last
entry in a date-tree and open that headline?  Slightly better would be a
way to go to the last, and open the last N headlines.  It could be
generalized into "go to end of current item and open last N items of
whatever depth" when applied to other outline forms.

I know how to do this with tabs and cursor movement to walk down the
tree opening headlines as needed.  This requires more work and paying
attention.

I have not found a simple way to do this.  Does one exist?

R Horn

* Re: Date-tree navigation question
@ 2012-03-05 18:34 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2012-03-05 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rjhorn; +Cc: Org-mode list

Robert Horn <rjhorn@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> Is there a short simple key sequence that will take you to the last
> entry in a date-tree and open that headline?  Slightly better would be
> a way to go to the last, and open the last N headlines.  It could be
> generalized into "go to end of current item and open last N items of
> whatever depth" when applied to other outline forms.
>
> I know how to do this with tabs and cursor movement to walk down the
> tree opening headlines as needed.  This requires more work and paying
> attention.
>
> I have not found a simple way to do this.  Does one exist?

Can't you just do something like this on the top-level headline for the
tree

C-c C-k C-c C-f M-7 C-c C-p

(where N=7 in this example)

That puts the cursor on the 7th-last heading (hope that makes sense)
It's not particularly short though...
  C-c C-k - show all siblings
  C-c C-f - go forward to next headline
  M-7 C-c C-p - go back to previous heading 7 times

or maybe

C-c C-f C-b C-c C-r

You should be able to build a local interactive function that takes a
prefix argument for N to get you where you want to be.

You can also use M-3 S-TAB to open show level 3 tasks and then navigate
the folded tree.

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: Date-tree navigation question
@ 2012-03-09 20:35 ` Martin Pohlack
From: Martin Pohlack @ 2012-03-09 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rjhorn; +Cc: Org-mode list

Hi Robert,

Not sure what you want to do after opening but I have some code that
extracts a time range out of a date tree.  Maybe you can reuse the
searching parts ...

Cheers,
Martin

(defun mp26/org-find-headline-prefix-in-buffer (heading &optional buffer pos-only)
  "Find node with heading-prefix HEADING in BUFFER.
Return a marker to the heading if it was found, or nil if not.
If POS-ONLY is set, return just the position instead of a marker.

The heading prefix must match as prefix of the full headline.  It
may have a TODO keyword, a priority cookie and tags in the
standard locations."
  (with-current-buffer (or buffer (current-buffer))
    (save-excursion
      (save-restriction
	(widen)
	(goto-char (point-min))
	(let (case-fold-search)
	  (if (re-search-forward
	       (format org-complex-heading-regexp-format
		       (concat (regexp-quote heading) ".*")) nil t)
	      (if pos-only
		  (match-beginning 0)
		(move-marker (make-marker) (match-beginning 0)))))))))

(defun mp26/org-week-from-journal ()
  "Insert a copy of the current week from the journal."
  (interactive)
  (insert
   (mapconcat
    'identity
    (with-current-buffer "Journal.org<Daten>"
      (loop for days in '(-6 -5 -4 -3 -2 -1 0)
            collect
            (let* ((date (calendar-current-date days))
                   (date-string
                    (format "%d-%02d-%02d"
                            (nth 2 date) (nth 0 date) (nth 1 date))))
              (setq pos (mp26/org-find-headline-prefix-in-buffer
                         date-string nil t))
              (when pos
                (goto-char pos)
                (org-copy-subtree)