* taskjuggler (tj3) export issues and proposals
@ 2012-02-01  4:59 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-02-01  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Leading my first project and decided to dig into taskjuggler again. It
just seems so natural to have everything in org if possible, so I took
another look at the exporter, manual, and worg tutorial. [1][2]

As is, as far as I can tell, the exporter does not work out of the box
with tj3. I /think/ I could get it to work if I added in a massive
report definition (which now seems mandatory for tj3) under
=org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports=, but that just feels clumsy.
For one, not every project will have the same report. Secondly, it
seems odd to tweak report definitions through my .emacs file? I didn't
see a way to specify it in the orgmode file itself. Any non-headline
text appears to be stripped during export.

Based on my fiddling tonight, here are some suggestions/inquiries:

1) Could there be something equivalent to #+latex/#+begin_latex that
would let me export some literal taskjuggler syntax into a file?
Perhaps throw everything between a #+begin/end_taskjuggler just before
the closing "}" for the task?

2) Could a different naming convention be used? It seems the currently
it's either what is defined by the property :task_id: or defaults to
the first word of the headline. If the default were more likely to be
unique, it would spare having to define a ton of =task_id= properties;
instead one could define dependencies based on headline names because
the syntax for naming was known and not likely to clash with another
headline's ID.
--- First word of the parent headline + "_" + first word of actual headline?
--- Bump it to the first two words of each headline?

3) As a piggyback on #1, I am successful with the following process:
-- create reports.tji with my report definitions
-- org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports set to nothing
-- export from orgmode
-- edit exported-file.tjp and add: include "reports.tji" to the end
-- run =tj3 filename.tjp=

Simply allowing the addition of =include "reports.tji"= or even
mandating that it exists would allow the use of tj3 with the current
exporter.

I don't know lisp and feel a bit guilty making potentially code-heavy
suggestions about this... That said, I'm happy to pitch in with the
manual/worg since they're a but outdated anyway. I don't see an
obvious place where one can even download tj 2.x.x anymore. The tj
team seems to have left that version behind; perhaps the org exporter
should to? Definitely chime in if you're still using it, though. I'd
be curious to know!

Thanks for any feedback.

[1] http://orgmode.org/manual/TaskJuggler-export.html
[2] http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-taskjuggler.html

Best regards,
John

@EricFraga: if implementing the LaTeX gantt package has moved into
either of the two actionable categories you mentioned in our last
discussion (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-08/msg01259.html),
I'd be happy to hear about it :)

* Re: taskjuggler (tj3) export issues and proposals
@ 2012-02-01 14:09 ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2012-02-01 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi John

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> Leading my first project and decided to dig into taskjuggler again. It
> just seems so natural to have everything in org if possible, so I took
> another look at the exporter, manual, and worg tutorial. [1][2]

Cool.

> As is, as far as I can tell, the exporter does not work out of the box
> with tj3. I /think/ I could get it to work if I added in a massive
> report definition (which now seems mandatory for tj3) under
> =org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports=, but that just feels clumsy.

First off let me say that I'm using the taskjuggler exporter with tj3,
so it should work.

As far as I know setting the org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports
should work. As I agree that this is a bit clumsy and sets the reports
for all projects. I'm setting the variable in a file variable like so
(the compile-command is optional but you need to adapt it to match the
location of your tj3 binary and your file name):

# Local Variables:
# org-export-taskjuggler-target-version: 3.0
# org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports: ("include \"reports.tji\"")
# compile-command: "~/.gem/ruby/1.9.1/bin/tj3 yourfilename.tjp"
# End:

Then I define the reports in a separate file which is included similar
to the solution you outline below.

I guess I should have some default report definitions for tj3 in the
exporter itself. The tj3 reports are quite massive and it is hard to
come by some which could be included in the Emacs source (you need
copyright assignments). Maybe the ones I have in my reports.tji could
qualify.

> For one, not every project will have the same report. Secondly, it
> seems odd to tweak report definitions through my .emacs file?

Yes I agree, see above.

> Based on my fiddling tonight, here are some suggestions/inquiries:
>
> 1) Could there be something equivalent to #+latex/#+begin_latex that
> would let me export some literal taskjuggler syntax into a file?
> Perhaps throw everything between a #+begin/end_taskjuggler just before
> the closing "}" for the task?

I can see a use case for this with regards to reports. But what is the
use case if you'd place this inside tasks? The problem with literal
sections of taskjuggler is where to place them. Something might me
related to the project header, other stuff to the reports, etc.

> 2) Could a different naming convention be used? It seems the currently
> it's either what is defined by the property :task_id: or defaults to
> the first word of the headline. If the default were more likely to be
> unique, it would spare having to define a ton of =task_id= properties;
> instead one could define dependencies based on headline names because
> the syntax for naming was known and not likely to clash with another
> headline's ID.
> --- First word of the parent headline + "_" + first word of actual headline?
> --- Bump it to the first two words of each headline?

The exporter just makes the task_id locally unique. That's what tj
expects. From your usage I guess that you have a lot of tasks with the
same name (probably within different hierarchies). Both methods you
outline could be implemented. Which one is more general?

> 3) As a piggyback on #1, I am successful with the following process:
> -- create reports.tji with my report definitions
> -- org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports set to nothing
> -- export from orgmode
> -- edit exported-file.tjp and add: include "reports.tji" to the end
> -- run =tj3 filename.tjp=

Could you not set org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports to "include
\"reports.tji\""? Otherwise you can use file variables as I outlined
above.

> Simply allowing the addition of =include "reports.tji"= or even
> mandating that it exists would allow the use of tj3 with the current
> exporter.
>
> I don't know lisp and feel a bit guilty making potentially code-heavy
> suggestions about this... That said, I'm happy to pitch in with the
> manual/worg since they're a but outdated anyway.

I'm happy to take you up on this offer. The worg page is a lot of work,
as it has all these screen shots. I'd be happy if you could update it
once you get all of this working.

> I don't see an obvious place where one can even download tj 2.x.x
> anymore.

I have it installed on an old machine.

> The tj team seems to have left that version behind; perhaps
> the org exporter should to?

I still prefer the old reports. But I guess yes, the exporter should
move on and support tj3 out of the box. The two main problems are

1. default reports with copyright assignments. As I include this in the
   Emacs source we need to have assignments. I can't just take the ones
   from the tj3 manual (I'd have to ask the author first).

2. A way to invoke the view (as seamless as before). For tj 2.4 I was
   able to just invoke the taskjuggler gui with the exported tjp file.
   For tj3 the exporter needs to somehow find out which reports are
   generated (HTML, text, csv) and then invoke the appropriate viewer.
   This might be simplified I take some assumptions, but I haven't come
   up with a clever way to do this.

Thanks
Christian

--
Christian Egli

* Re: taskjuggler (tj3) export issues and proposals
@ 2012-02-01 14:18   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-02-01 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Egli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 01/02/12 15:09, Christian Egli wrote:
> Hi John
>
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Leading my first project and decided to dig into taskjuggler
>> again. It just seems so natural to have everything in org if
>> possible, so I took another look at the exporter, manual, and
>> worg tutorial. [1][2]
>
> Cool.
>
>> As is, as far as I can tell, the exporter does not work out of
>> the box with tj3. I /think/ I could get it to work if I added in
>> a massive report definition (which now seems mandatory for tj3)
>> under =org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports=, but that just
>> feels clumsy.
>
> First off let me say that I'm using the taskjuggler exporter with
> tj3, so it should work.

This is good news. As I am planning of using it only for basic stuff,
it should work for me as well.

But I am not clear about

1) how your .org file looks
2) your reports.tji looks
3) what I have to set in emacs / org variables to use tj3.

Would it be possible to post a small basic example so that one has
something to start working with? I still feel lost.

Thanks,

Rainer

> [...]
>
> I have it installed on an old machine.
>
>> The tj team seems to have left that version behind; perhaps the
>> org exporter should to?
>
> I still prefer the old reports. But I guess yes, the exporter
> should move on and support tj3 out of the box. The two main
> problems are
>
> 1. default reports with copyright assignments. As I include this in
> the Emacs source we need to have assignments. I can't just take the
> ones from the tj3 manual (I'd have to ask the author first).
>
> 2. A way to invoke the view (as seamless as before). For tj 2.4 I
> was able to just invoke the taskjuggler gui with the exported tjp
> file. For tj3 the exporter needs to somehow find out which reports
> are generated (HTML, text, csv) and then invoke the appropriate
> viewer. This might be simplified I take some assumptions, but I
> haven't come up with a clever way to do this.

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: taskjuggler (tj3) export issues and proposals
@ 2012-02-01 15:07   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-02-01 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Egli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:09 AM, Christian Egli <christian.egli@sbs.ch> wrote:
> Hi John
>
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Leading my first project and decided to dig into taskjuggler again. It
>> just seems so natural to have everything in org if possible, so I took
>> another look at the exporter, manual, and worg tutorial. [1][2]
>
> Cool.

First off, thanks for the input!

>> As is, as far as I can tell, the exporter does not work out of the box
>> with tj3. I /think/ I could get it to work if I added in a massive
>> report definition (which now seems mandatory for tj3) under
>> =org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports=, but that just feels clumsy.
>
> First off let me say that I'm using the taskjuggler exporter with tj3,
> so it should work.

This statement seems to indicate that org may work out of the box with tj3.

> As far as I know setting the org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports
> should work. As I agree that this is a bit clumsy and sets the reports
> for all projects. I'm setting the variable in a file variable like so
> (the compile-command is optional but you need to adapt it to match the
> location of your tj3 binary and your file name):
>
> # Local Variables:
> # org-export-taskjuggler-target-version: 3.0
> # org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports: ("include \"reports.tji\"")
> # compile-command: "~/.gem/ruby/1.9.1/bin/tj3 yourfilename.tjp"
> # End:

This seems to indicate that org does *not* work out of the box with
tj3, but only if you use this tweak for the reports definitions.
That's fine, I just want to be clear with whether org does or not work
out of the box by just setting =org-export-taskjuggler-target-version:
3.x= I'm thinking it does not and you'll get a failed build with no
output.

And... sigh. I had never thought to define reports /as/ =include
"reports.tji=. How simple.

> Then I define the reports in a separate file which is included similar
> to the solution you outline below.
>
> I guess I should have some default report definitions for tj3 in the
> exporter itself. The tj3 reports are quite massive and it is hard to
> come by some which could be included in the Emacs source (you need
> copyright assignments). Maybe the ones I have in my reports.tji could
> qualify.

Since these can vary, I actually think it would be fine to specify in
the manual that you need a separate definition. But maybe a brand new
tj user wouldn't like that?

>> For one, not every project will have the same report. Secondly, it
>> seems odd to tweak report definitions through my .emacs file?
>
> Yes I agree, see above.
>
>> Based on my fiddling tonight, here are some suggestions/inquiries:
>>
>> 1) Could there be something equivalent to #+latex/#+begin_latex that
>> would let me export some literal taskjuggler syntax into a file?
>> Perhaps throw everything between a #+begin/end_taskjuggler just before
>> the closing "}" for the task?
>
> I can see a use case for this with regards to reports. But what is the
> use case if you'd place this inside tasks? The problem with literal
> sections of taskjuggler is where to place them. Something might me
> related to the project header, other stuff to the reports, etc.

Maybe that wasn't well thought out. I was thinking it could be useful,
but I guess the primary use was for include reports.tji.

>> 2) Could a different naming convention be used? It seems the currently
>> it's either what is defined by the property :task_id: or defaults to
>> the first word of the headline. If the default were more likely to be
>> unique, it would spare having to define a ton of =task_id= properties;
>> instead one could define dependencies based on headline names because
>> the syntax for naming was known and not likely to clash with another
>> headline's ID.
>> --- First word of the parent headline + "_" + first word of actual headline?
>> --- Bump it to the first two words of each headline?
>
> The exporter just makes the task_id locally unique. That's what tj
> expects. From your usage I guess that you have a lot of tasks with the
> same name (probably within different hierarchies). Both methods you
> outline could be implemented. Which one is more general?

Maybe "parent_headline_task_headline"? But that gets tricking for:

* Task Container
** Send product samples to X
** Send product samples to Y
** Send product samples to Z

Append a number? My files are not [too] complex; perhaps the exporter
should be done while thinking of how org might have worked for the
Fedora tj example
(http://www.taskjuggler.org/tj3/examples/Fedora-20/f-20.tjp).

>> 3) As a piggyback on #1, I am successful with the following process:
>> -- create reports.tji with my report definitions
>> -- org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports set to nothing
>> -- export from orgmode
>> -- edit exported-file.tjp and add: include "reports.tji" to the end
>> -- run =tj3 filename.tjp=
>
> Could you not set org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports to "include
> \"reports.tji\""? Otherwise you can use file variables as I outlined
> above.

Again. Yes. So simple. So overlooked by me...

>> Simply allowing the addition of =include "reports.tji"= or even
>> mandating that it exists would allow the use of tj3 with the current
>> exporter.
>>
>> I don't know lisp and feel a bit guilty making potentially code-heavy
>> suggestions about this... That said, I'm happy to pitch in with the
>> manual/worg since they're a but outdated anyway.
>
> I'm happy to take you up on this offer. The worg page is a lot of work,
> as it has all these screen shots. I'd be happy if you could update it
> once you get all of this working.

I'm down and sounds good.

>> I don't see an obvious place where one can even download tj 2.x.x
>> anymore.
>
> I have it installed on an old machine.

Gotcha.

>> The tj team seems to have left that version behind; perhaps
>> the org exporter should to?
>
> I still prefer the old reports. But I guess yes, the exporter should
> move on and support tj3 out of the box. The two main problems are
>
> 1. default reports with copyright assignments. As I include this in the
>   Emacs source we need to have assignments. I can't just take the ones
>   from the tj3 manual (I'd have to ask the author first).

Gotcha. I started with the tj example and built my own... could I
provide it without these issues?

> 2. A way to invoke the view (as seamless as before). For tj 2.4 I was
>   able to just invoke the taskjuggler gui with the exported tjp file.
>   For tj3 the exporter needs to somehow find out which reports are
>   generated (HTML, text, csv) and then invoke the appropriate viewer.
>   This might be simplified I take some assumptions, but I haven't come
>   up with a clever way to do this.

I've never used csv or text... maybe
org-export-taskjuggler-format-html/csv/text? And then something like
=org-export-taskjuggler-default-export-format=? Default=html but could
be changed with a file option?

> Thanks
> Christian

Thanks a ton for the response and effort.

John

@ 2012-02-01 15:20     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-02-01 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R.M.Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Christian Egli

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/02/12 15:09, Christian Egli wrote:
>> Hi John
>>
>> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

>> First off let me say that I'm using the taskjuggler exporter with
>> tj3, so it should work.
>
> This is good news. As I am planning of using it only for basic stuff,
> it should work for me as well.
>
> But I am not clear about
>
> 1) how your .org file looks

I copied the second big code block example from the worg tutorial
(http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-taskjuggler.html) into a
new org file. I used the part immediately following the phrase:
"Your resulting Org mode project file will look somewhat like the following:"

> 2) your reports.tji looks

I attached one based on the taskjuggler tutorial but simplified and
with the header tweaked to match the four main sections of the
project.

> 3) what I have to set in emacs / org variables to use tj3.
--- in .emacs: =(setq org-export-taskjuggler-target-version 3.1)=
--- I attached a screenshot of my settings for
org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports at present (tested it in a
session just now and will change to a permanent setting in .emacs of
=(setq org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports "include
\"reports.tji\"")=.

> Would it be possible to post a small basic example so that one has
> something to start working with? I still feel lost.

Let me know if the above suffices!

John

> [...]
>> problems are
>>
>> 1. default reports with copyright assignments. As I include this in
>> the Emacs source we need to have assignments. I can't just take the
>> ones from the tj3 manual (I'd have to ask the author first).
>>
>> 2. A way to invoke the view (as seamless as before). For tj 2.4 I
>> was able to just invoke the taskjuggler gui with the exported tjp
>> file. For tj3 the exporter needs to somehow find out which reports
>> are generated (HTML, text, csv) and then invoke the appropriate
>> viewer. This might be simplified I take some assumptions, but I
>> haven't come up with a clever way to do this.
>>
>> Thanks Christian
>>

> - --
> Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation
> Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)
>
> Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology

[-- Attachment #2: 2012-02-01_091731.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 49532 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: reports.tji --]

### begin report definition
macro TaskTip [
  tooltip istask() -8<-
    '''Start: ''' <-query attribute='start'->
    '''End: ''' <-query attribute='end'->
    ----
    '''Resources:'''

    <-query attribute='resources'->
    ----
    '''Precursors: '''

    <-query attribute='precursors'->
    ----
    '''Followers: '''

    <-query attribute='followers'->
    ->8-
]

navigator navbar {
  hidereport 0
}

textreport frame "" {
  header -8<-
    == Project Title ==
    <[navigator id="navbar"]>
  ->8-
  footer "----"

 textreport index "Overview" {
    formats html
    center '<[report id="overview"]>'
  }

}

taskreport overview "" {
  header -8<-
    === Project Overview ===

    Project Areas

    * Specification
    * Software Specification
    * Software Testing
    * Manual

    === Timeline ===
  ->8-
  columns bsi { title 'WBS' },
          name, start, end, duration, status, chart { ${TaskTip} }
  # For this report we like to have the abbreviated weekday in front
  # of the date. %a is the tag for this.
  timeformat "%Y-%m-%d"
  loadunit days
  hideresource 1
  sorttasks tree
  #caption 'All effort values are in man days.'

}

* Re: taskjuggler (tj3) export issues and proposals
@ 2012-02-01 15:54     ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2012-02-01 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> But I am not clear about
>
> 1) how your .org file looks
> 2) your reports.tji looks
> 3) what I have to set in emacs / org variables to use tj3.
>
> Would it be possible to post a small basic example so that one has
> something to start working with? I still feel lost.

I attached a sample org file (basically the one from the worg page) that
also sets (as file variables) the two variables that you need to set.
Also I attached the reports.tji that I'm using. This should answer your
question 1 and 2. As for question 3: If you take the attached org files
all the relevant variables are set for you. If you do it manually you'll
have to set org-export-taskjuggler-target-version and
org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports.

Let me know if the attached files work for you out of the box. I have
some small local changes to the taskjuggler exporter but AFAIK they
should not influence this.

Thanks
Christian

[-- Attachment #2: sample org file --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2248 bytes --]

#+PROPERTY: Effort_ALL 2d 5d 10d 20d 30d 35d 50d
#+PROPERTY: allocate_ALL dev doc test
#+COLUMNS: %30ITEM(Task) %Effort %allocate %BLOCKER %ORDERED

* Accounting Software                                        :taskjuggler_project:

** Specification
   :PROPERTIES:
   :Effort:   20d
   :BLOCKER:  start
   :allocate: dev
   :END:

** Software Development
   :PROPERTIES:
   :ORDERED:  t
   :BLOCKER:  previous-sibling
   :priority: 1000
   :allocate: dev
   :END:

*** Database coupling
    :PROPERTIES:
    :Effort:   20d
    :END:

*** Back-End Functions
    :PROPERTIES:
    :Effort:   30d
    :task_id:  back_end
    :END:

*** Graphical User Interface
    :PROPERTIES:
    :Effort:   35d
    :allocate: paul, seb
    :END:

** Software testing
   :PROPERTIES:
   :ORDERED:  t
   :BLOCKER:  previous-sibling
   :allocate: test
   :END:
*** Alpha Test
    :PROPERTIES:
    :Effort:   5d
    :task_id:  alpha
    :END:

*** Beta Test
    :PROPERTIES:
    :Effort:   20d
    :task_id:  beta
    :allocate: test, paul
    :END:

** Manual
   :PROPERTIES:
   :Effort:   50d
   :task_id:  manual
   :BLOCKER:  start
   :allocate: doc
   :END:

** Milestones
*** Project start
    :PROPERTIES:
    :task_id:  start
    :END:

*** Technology Preview
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BLOCKER:  back_end
    :END:

*** Beta version
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BLOCKER:  alpha
    :END:

*** Ship Product to Customer
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BLOCKER:  beta manual
    :END:

* Resources                                         :taskjuggler_resource:
** Developers
   :PROPERTIES:
   :resource_id: dev
   :END:
*** Paul Smith
    :PROPERTIES:
    :resource_id: paul
    :END:
*** Sébastien Bono
    :PROPERTIES:
    :resource_id: seb
    :END:
*** Klaus Müller

** Others
*** Peter Murphy
    :PROPERTIES:
    :resource_id: doc
    :limits:   { dailymax 6.4h }
    :END:
*** Dim Sung
    :PROPERTIES:
    :resource_id: test
    :END:

* File Variables

# Local Variables:
# org-export-taskjuggler-target-version: 3.0
# org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports: ("include \"reports.tji\"")
# compile-command: "~/.gem/ruby/1.9.1/bin/tj3 foo.tjp"
# End:

[-- Attachment #3: sample tj3 reports --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1535 bytes --]

textreport report "Plan" {
  formats html
  header '== <-query attribute="name"-> =='

  center -8<-
    [#Plan Plan] | [#Status Status] | [#Resource_Allocation Resource Allocation]
    ----
    === Plan ===
    <[report id="plan"]>
    ----
    === Status ===
    <[report id="status.completed"]>
    ----
    <[report id="status.ongoing"]>
    ----
    <[report id="status.future"]>
    ----
    === Resource Allocation ===
    <[report id="resourceGraph"]>
  ->8-
}

# A traditional Gantt chart with a project overview.
taskreport plan "" {
  headline "Project Plan"
  columns bsi, name, start, end, effort, chart
  loadunit shortauto
  hideresource 1
}

taskreport status "" {
  columns bsi, name { width 150 }, start { width 100 }, end { width 100 },
          effort { width 75 }, status { width 75 }, gauge {width 150 }
  loadunit shortauto

  taskreport completed "" {
    headline "Completed tasks"
    hidetask plan.complete < 100.0
    sorttasks plan.start.up
  }
  taskreport ongoing "" {
    headline "Ongoing tasks"
    hidetask ~(isleaf() & (plan.start <= ${now}) & (plan.complete < 100.0))
  }
  taskreport future "" {
    headline "Future tasks"
    hidetask ~(plan.start > ${now} & (plan.complete < 100.0))
  }
}

# A graph showing resource allocation. It identifies whether each
# resource is under- or over-allocated for.
resourcereport resourceGraph "" {
  headline "Resource Allocation Graph"
  columns no, name, effort, weekly
  loadunit shortauto
  hidetask ~(isleaf() & isleaf_())
  sorttasks plan.start.up
}

Christian Egli

-----
Neu bei der SBS: 9000 Buecher kaufen oder schenken. Mehr dazu finden Sie unter http://www.sbs.ch/verkauf

* Re: taskjuggler (tj3) export issues and proposals
@ 2012-02-01 17:47       ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-02-01 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Egli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

2012/2/1 Christian Egli <christian.egli@sbs.ch>:
> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> But I am not clear about
>>
>> 1) how your .org file looks
>> 2) your reports.tji looks
>> 3) what I have to set in emacs / org variables to use tj3.
>>
>> Would it be possible to post a small basic example so that one has
>> something to start working with? I still feel lost.
>
> I attached a sample org file (basically the one from the worg page) that
> also sets (as file variables) the two variables that you need to set.
> Also I attached the reports.tji that I'm using. This should answer your
> question 1 and 2. As for question 3: If you take the attached org files
> all the relevant variables are set for you. If you do it manually you'll
> have to set org-export-taskjuggler-target-version and
> org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports.

Exports fine, but I get this error:
----------
$ tj3 foo.tjp
TaskJuggler III v3.0.0 - A Project Management Software

Copyright (c) 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
              by Chris Schlaeger <chris@linux.com>

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
the terms of version 2 of the GNU General Public License as published by the
Free Software Foundation.

./reports.tji:33: Error: Unexpected token 'gauge' found. Expecting one
of 'alert', 'alertmessages', 'alertsummaries', 'alerttrend', 'chart',
'complete', 'completed', 'criticalness', 'cost', 'daily',
'directreports', 'duration', 'duties', 'efficiency', 'effort',
'effortdone', 'effortleft', 'email', 'end', 'flags', 'followers',
'freetime', 'freework', 'fte', 'headcount', 'hierarchindex', 'hourly',
'id', 'index', 'inputs', 'journal', 'journal_sub', 'journalmessages',
'journalsummaries', 'line', 'managers', 'maxend', 'maxstart',
'minend', 'minstart', 'monthly', 'no', 'name', 'note',
'pathcriticalness', 'precursors', 'priority', 'quarterly', 'rate',
'reports', 'resources', 'responsible', 'revenue', 'scenario', 'seqno',
'start', 'status', 'targets', 'wbs', 'bsi', 'weekly', 'yearly'
          effort { width 75 }, status { width 75 }, gauge
----------

Commenting out your report.tji like so works:
----------
taskreport status "" {
  columns bsi, name { width 150 }, start { width 100 }, end { width 100 },
          effort { width 75 }, status { width 75 } # commented out ",
gauge {width 150 }"
[...]
----------

> Let me know if the attached files work for you out of the box. I have
> some small local changes to the taskjuggler exporter but AFAIK they
> should not influence this.

Is gauge in your tweaks or is this a tj 2.x.x specific syntax?

By the way, nice report! I'm still trying to learn the syntax and how
to hide/show different things. Yours is great.

Thanks,
John

@ 2012-02-01 18:36       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-02-01 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Egli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 01/02/12 16:54, Christian Egli wrote:
> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> But I am not clear about
>>
>> 1) how your .org file looks 2) your reports.tji looks 3) what I
>> have to set in emacs / org variables to use tj3.
>>
>> Would it be possible to post a small basic example so that one
>> has something to start working with? I still feel lost.
>
> I attached a sample org file (basically the one from the worg page)
> that also sets (as file variables) the two variables that you need
> to set. Also I attached the reports.tji that I'm using. This should
> answer your question 1 and 2. As for question 3: If you take the
> attached org files all the relevant variables are set for you. If
> you do it manually you'll have to set
> org-export-taskjuggler-target-version and
> org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports.
>
> Let me know if the attached files work for you out of the box. I
> have some small local changes to the taskjuggler exporter but AFAIK
> they should not influence this.

Works like a charm. Now I have to figure out why my org file is not
working - but I'll look at that tomorrow.

Thanks a lot,

Rainer

> Thanks Christian

- --

@ 2012-02-02  7:10         ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2012-02-02  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> Exports fine, but I get this error:

> ./reports.tji:33: Error: Unexpected token 'gauge' found. Expecting one
>
> Is gauge in your tweaks or is this a tj 2.x.x specific syntax?

Ah, sorry. 'gauge' seems to only work in tj3 3.1.0.

> By the way, nice report!

I was trying to squezze it all into one html file so I can open it
easier from Emacs.

Thanks
Christian

--
Christian Egli

-----

@ 2012-02-02  8:23     ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2012-02-02  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

>> First off let me say that I'm using the taskjuggler exporter with tj3,
>> so it should work.
>>

> This statement seems to indicate that org may work out of the box with tj3.

Well if you take it out of the box it doesn't work with tj3. You need to
adapt the target version and the default reports. I think it might be
time to change this since most distros do not have taskjuggler2.4
anymore (except Debian stable is still happily using it) and tj2.4
doesn't even run on Windows or Mac.

>> The exporter just makes the task_id locally unique. That's what tj
>> expects. From your usage I guess that you have a lot of tasks with the
>> same name (probably within different hierarchies). Both methods you
>> outline could be implemented. Which one is more general?
>>

> Maybe "parent_headline_task_headline"? But that gets tricking for:
>
> * Task Container
> ** Send product samples to X
> ** Send product samples to Y
> ** Send product samples to Z
>
> Append a number? My files are not [too] complex; perhaps the exporter
> should be done while thinking of how org might have worked for the
> Fedora tj example
> (http://www.taskjuggler.org/tj3/examples/Fedora-20/f-20.tjp).

I had a look at the Fedora tj example. This is using tj to the max. It
might not be a good use case for the tj exporter :-). But to understand
your use case, could you maybe send me some example org files of yours,
so I could look at them (off-list if you like)

Thanks
Christian

--
Christian Egli

* Re: taskjuggler (tj3) export issues and proposals
@ 2012-02-02 15:49           ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-02-02 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Egli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 1:10 AM, Christian Egli <christian.egli@sbs.ch> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Exports fine, but I get this error:
>
>> ./reports.tji:33: Error: Unexpected token 'gauge' found. Expecting one
>>
>> Is gauge in your tweaks or is this a tj 2.x.x specific syntax?
>
> Ah, sorry. 'gauge' seems to only work in tj3 3.1.0.

Weird. I looked in the documentation to be sure and did not see it.
Today... I found it (columnid:
http://www.taskjuggler.org/tj3/manual/columnid.html).

I thought I was on 3.1; alas, only 3.0 as ships through Arch Linux AUR.

Thanks,
JOhn

>> By the way, nice report!
>
> I was trying to squezze it all into one html file so I can open it
> easier from Emacs.
>
> Thanks
> Christian
>
> --
> Christian Egli
> Swiss Library for the Blind, Visually Impaired and Print Disabled
> Grubenstrasse 12, CH-8045 Zürich, Switzerland
>
> -----
> Neu bei der SBS: 9000 Buecher kaufen oder schenken. Mehr dazu finden Sie unter http://www.sbs.ch/verkauf

* OT: taskjuggler question [was: Re: taskjuggler (tj3) export issues and proposals]
@ 2012-02-02 16:08             ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-02-02 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, nicholas.dokos, Christian Egli

I hope you'll excuse the off-topic noob question: I (think I) installed
tj3.1 per the official instructions. I get

$ tj3 --version
TaskJuggler v3.1.0 - A Project Management Software

I can export the example org file that Christian sent out to a tjp,
process it to Plan.html from the command line and the html file looks OK
afaict, so the basics seem to be in place.  But I have no TaskJugglerUI
executable, which seems to be what the exporter tries to call for
export-and-open (C-c C-e J): what am I missing?

Thanks,
Nick

* Re: OT: taskjuggler question [was: Re: taskjuggler (tj3) export issues and proposals]
@ 2012-02-02 16:22               ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-02-02 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Christian Egli

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:
> I hope you'll excuse the off-topic noob question: I (think I) installed
> tj3.1 per the official instructions. I get
>
> $ tj3 --version
> TaskJuggler v3.1.0 - A Project Management Software
>
> I can export the example org file that Christian sent out to a tjp,
> process it to Plan.html from the command line and the html file looks OK
> afaict, so the basics seem to be in place.

Did you tweak =org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports= variable? What
report definition exists in your resultant .tjp? Mine fails with the
default setting in org-taskjuggler.el.

> But I have no TaskJugglerUI
> executable, which seems to be what the exporter tries to call for
> export-and-open (C-c C-e J): what am I missing?

Nothing wrong. There currently is no UI for tj3. The original org
exporter was designed for 2.4.3 which did have a UI. The new workflow
(unless they come up with a new UI) is:

org -> C-e j -> tj3 file.tjp -> view output report

Best regards,
John

> Thanks,
> Nick

* Re: OT: taskjuggler question
@ 2012-02-02 16:24               ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2012-02-02 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> But I have no TaskJugglerUI executable, which seems to be what the
> exporter tries to call for export-and-open (C-c C-e J): what am I
> missing?

The TaskJugglerUI exists only if you have taskjuggler2.4 installed. The
exporter predates tj3 and naively assumes that there is a TaskJugglerUI
executable. It should really invoke a browser on the resulting HTML
report[1] when you call export-and-open, at least when you are targeting
tj3. The worst part is that it doesn't even tell the user that something
failed, as it invokes the executable asynchronously using
start-process-shell-command (info: (elisp) Asynchronous Processes). That
way you can continue to work with emacs but emacs doesn't know what
happened to the subprocess. I'll have to do some more research on how to
start a process in the background and still check if it succeeded.

Thanks
Christian

Footnotes:
[1]  the tricky bit here is of course to find the resulting HTML, as the
name of it is defined in a tj3 report definition. I'd rather refrain
from parsing these report definitions just to find the name of the HTML
file to open.

--
Christian Egli

* Re: OT: taskjuggler question
@ 2012-02-02 17:13                 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-02-02 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Egli; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Christian Egli <christian.egli@sbs.ch> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
> > But I have no TaskJugglerUI executable, which seems to be what the
> > exporter tries to call for export-and-open (C-c C-e J): what am I
> > missing?
>
> The TaskJugglerUI exists only if you have taskjuggler2.4 installed. The
> exporter predates tj3 and naively assumes that there is a TaskJugglerUI
> executable. It should really invoke a browser on the resulting HTML
> report[1] when you call export-and-open, at least when you are targeting
> tj3. The worst part is that it doesn't even tell the user that something
> failed, as it invokes the executable asynchronously using
> start-process-shell-command (info: (elisp) Asynchronous Processes). That
> way you can continue to work with emacs but emacs doesn't know what
> happened to the subprocess. I'll have to do some more research on how to
> start a process in the background and still check if it succeeded.

(setq p (start-process-shell-command "foo" nil "foo"))
#<process foo>
(process-status p)
exit
(process-exit-status p)
127

> Thanks
> Christian
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  the tricky bit here is of course to find the resulting HTML, as the
> name of it is defined in a tj3 report definition. I'd rather refrain
> from parsing these report definitions just to find the name of the HTML
> file to open.

Yup - a pain. Maybe ask for an option to tj3:

      $ tj3 --silent --spit-out-name-of-html-file foo.tjp
      Plan.html

or

      $ tj3 --silent --symlink-report-to foo.html foo.tjp

and you can go after foo.html - but of course this assumes
that you have symlinks.

Nick

* Re: taskjuggler (tj3) export issues and proposals
@ 2012-05-07  4:26 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2012-05-07  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> @EricFraga: if implementing the LaTeX gantt package has moved into
> either of the two actionable categories you mentioned in our last
> discussion (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-08/msg01259.html),
> I'd be happy to hear about it :)

Unfortunately, my change in my job (resulting in a move literally around
the world, about as far as I could go ;-), has led to a real
interruption in anything not directly work related!

However, I am again starting to write some proposals that will need
GANTT charts so maybe I can justify looking at this again.

thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.1.50.1
: using Org release_7.8.09-529-g035ab3.dirty

* Re: taskjuggler (tj3) export issues and proposals
@ 2012-05-08  8:16   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-08  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

> However, I am again starting to write some proposals that will need
> GANTT charts so maybe I can justify looking at this again.

good to know you are back on this!  No matter how far you go, Org
will always find you :)

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: taskjuggler (tj3) export issues and proposals
@ 2012-05-08  9:14     ` Eric Fraga
From: Eric Fraga @ 2012-05-08  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> However, I am again starting to write some proposals that will need
>> GANTT charts so maybe I can justify looking at this again.
>
> good to know you are back on this!  No matter how far you go, Org
> will always find you :)
>
> Best,

Thanks.  Despite being quiet on the list for a few months, I can assure
you that org was with me the whole time!  I would have a hard time
functioning any longer without it.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.1.50.1
: using Org release_7.8.09-527-gc2aac5

* Re: taskjuggler (tj3) export issues and proposals
@ 2012-05-08 14:36   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-05-08 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy, emacs-orgmode

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 11:26 PM, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> @EricFraga: if implementing the LaTeX gantt package has moved into
>> either of the two actionable categories you mentioned in our last
>> discussion (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-08/msg01259.html),
>> I'd be happy to hear about it :)
>
> Unfortunately, my change in my job (resulting in a move literally around
> the world, about as far as I could go ;-), has led to a real
> interruption in anything not directly work related!
>
> However, I am again starting to write some proposals that will need
> GANTT charts so maybe I can justify looking at this again.

Thanks for the update and no worries. Good luck on the adjustment to
new duties and environment! I should be able to look into this as
well... I just don't know the elisp to get things from table/headline
properties in org into the appropriate LaTeX code... I should really
learn lisp so I can give back. Sigh... I was going to learn Python
next.

Best regards,
John