* just made orgmode-7.8.02
@ 2011-12-29 17:36 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-12-29 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Once that was done I figured to run make ./update in the org-7.8.02
directory and get the latest patches.  No cigar, this isn't within any git
repository apparently on my end so couldn't be pulled by make ./update.
Do I need to edit the Makefile to clear this problem and if so how?  If
not, how do I get this version to the update capability?

Jude <jdashiel-at-shellworld-dot-net>

* Re: just made orgmode-7.8.02
@ 2011-12-29 18:37 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-12-29 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:

> Once that was done I figured to run make ./update in the org-7.8.02
> directory and get the latest patches.  No cigar, this isn't within any git
> repository apparently on my end so couldn't be pulled by make ./update.
> Do I need to edit the Makefile to clear this problem and if so how?  If
> not, how do I get this version to the update capability?

You need to clone the git repository:

    git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git /path/to/your/local/org/mode/git/repository

before you can use the update target in the Makefile, which just does a git pull
before remaking:

,----
| update:
| 	git pull
| 	${MAKE} clean
| 	${MAKE} all
`----

Note that the /path/to/your/local/org/mode/git/repository must not exist beforehand:
it is created by the cloning process. And, of course, you need to have git installed.

Nick

* Re: just made orgmode-7.8.02
@ 2011-12-29 19:02   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-12-29 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Then perhaps something more is wrong.  I downloaded orgmode-7.8.02 and
installed that after having run the standard gitclone command to clone
org-mode on this system.  I did that because the gitclone process pulled
version 5.23 for me and also created my git repository for me in that
process.  I don't know how or why that happened but it was a satellite
connection yesterday and not my usual cable connection.On Thu, 29 Dec

@ 2011-12-29 19:35     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-12-29 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:

> Then perhaps something more is wrong.  I downloaded orgmode-7.8.02 and
> installed that after having run the standard gitclone command to clone
> org-mode on this system.  I did that because the gitclone process pulled
> version 5.23 for me and also created my git repository for me in that
> process.  I don't know how or why that happened but it was a satellite
> connection yesterday and not my usual cable connection.

Oy, vey: that is pretty weird.

Just delete the whole cloned repository and clone again. I just did that
and git describe says:

,----
| $ git describe
| release_7.8.02-53-g88ef5fe
`----

Nick

On Thu, 29 Dec
> 2011, Nick Dokos wrote:
>
> > Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Once that was done I figured to run make ./update in the org-7.8.02
> > > directory and get the latest patches.  No cigar, this isn't within any git
> > > repository apparently on my end so couldn't be pulled by make ./update.
> > > Do I need to edit the Makefile to clear this problem and if so how?  If
> > > not, how do I get this version to the update capability?
> > >

> > You need to clone the git repository:
> >
> >     git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git /path/to/your/local/org/mode/git/repository
> >
> > before you can use the update target in the Makefile, which just does a git pull
> > before remaking:
> >
> > ,----
> > | update:
> > | 	git pull
> > | 	${MAKE} clean
> > | 	${MAKE} all
> > `----
> >
> > Note that the /path/to/your/local/org/mode/git/repository must not exist beforehand:
> > it is created by the cloning process. And, of course, you need to have git installed.
> >
> > Nick

> Jude <jdashiel-at-shellworld-dot-net>
> <http://www.shellworld.net/~jdashiel/nj.html>

* Re: just made orgmode-7.8.02
@ 2011-12-29 21:12 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-12-29 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

We're now golden.  When I ran git describe I was told no repository
exists.  So I ran git init and created an empty repository and then ran
the git clone command and this time aI have an installed version of 7.8.02
and am told I'm up to date.  Apparently running a git clone operation on
slackware 13.0 without having an existing repository for git to populate
makes git a very unhappy camper.

@ 2011-12-29 21:25 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-12-29 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net>wrote:

> We're now golden.  When I ran git describe I was told no repository
> exists.  So I ran git init and created an empty repository and then ran
> the git clone command and this time aI have an installed version of 7.8.02
> and am told I'm up to date.  Apparently running a git clone operation on
> slackware 13.0 without having an existing repository for git to populate
> makes git a very unhappy camper.

You're just trying to clone the orgmode repo? You shouldn't need to do 'git
init.' That's used when you want to create a local git repo from your own,
pre-existing files. You're just trying to pull from a remote repository.

,---
| $ git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
`---

Should work on it's own from any directory and will create a new directory
populated with the orgmode git tree.

Git should work, regardless of the distro. Can you try again? If you'e
like, try cd-ing to a directory where you want this to live and executing:

,---
| $ git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git org.git
`---

See what happens. If you get errors, post the exact output to the list and
others should be able to help.

Thanks!
John

@ 2011-12-29 22:07     ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2011-12-29 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

On 12/29/2011 07:02 PM, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Then perhaps something more is wrong.  I downloaded orgmode-7.8.02 and
> installed that after having run the standard gitclone command to clone
> org-mode on this system.  I did that because the gitclone process pulled
> version 5.23 for me and also created my git repository for me in that
> process.  I don't know how or why that happened but it was a satellite
> connection yesterday and not my usual cable connection.

Maybe you're cloning the right repository but ending up using the shipped
version in Emacs anyway?

What is your configuration to use git org-mode from the git repository?