* [DEV] Package org-find-timestamps on worg
@ 2011-12-17 21:34 Marc-Oliver Ihm
From: Marc-Oliver Ihm @ 2011-12-17 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all,

just have pushed the file org-find-timestamps.el to the contrib directory of worg:

	http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/index.html

The elisp file is here

	http://ferntreffer.de/elisp/org-refer-by-number.el

Its description reads like this:

  The function org-find-timestamps allows you to bring the notes, that you take within org-mode,
  into a chronological order, even if they are scattered across many different files and nodes.
  It shows any SCHEDULED, CLOSED or plain timestamp in a listing with easy access to the
  repective nodes. Such a listing provides an answer to the common question 'What have I done
  last week ?'

Hope, that this package can be useful.

regards, Marc-Oliver Ihm

* Re: [DEV] Package org-find-timestamps on worg
@ 2011-12-18  0:49 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2011-12-18  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc-Oliver Ihm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Marc-Oliver Ihm <ihm@online.de> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> just have pushed the file org-find-timestamps.el to the contrib directory of worg:
>
> 	http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/index.html
>
> The elisp file is here
>
> 	http://ferntreffer.de/elisp/org-refer-by-number.el
>
> Its description reads like this:
>
>  The function org-find-timestamps allows you to bring the notes, that you take within org-mode,
>  into a chronological order, even if they are scattered across many different files and nodes.
>  It shows any SCHEDULED, CLOSED or plain timestamp in a listing with easy access to the
>  repective nodes. Such a listing provides an answer to the common question 'What have I done
>  last week ?'
>
> Hope, that this package can be useful.
>

> regards, Marc-Oliver Ihm

Aloha Marc-Oliver,

Neat idea!  The follow option makes it convenient to step through
results.  Org-find-timestamps is going to be super useful.

Many thanks,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: [DEV] Package org-find-timestamps on worg
@ 2011-12-19  3:39   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-12-19  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Marc-Oliver Ihm

Hey, sounds useful!

I couldn't really use it though, I don't get this prompt:

"Start date (or end):"

Should I input the start or end date there? It shows twice, with the same
prompt.

Also, what is the difference of using the agenda + log (to include
archives) and go back in time with "b" ?

Cheers,

Marcelo.

@ 2011-12-19 21:29     ` Marc-Oliver Ihm
From: Marc-Oliver Ihm @ 2011-12-19 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Marcelo,

Am 19.12.2011 04:39, schrieb Marcelo de Moraes Serpa:
> Hey, sounds useful!

Thank you !

> I couldn't really use it though, I don't get this prompt:
>
> "Start date (or end):"
>
> Should I input the start or end date there? It shows twice, with the same prompt.

I think the prompt is similar but different in both cases; just enter the two endpoints of the interval
and the function will swap them as needed. So you may enter the start-date or the end-date first, it does not matter.

> Also, what is the difference of using the agenda + log (to include archives) and go back in time with "b" ?

There is probably some overlap here, but I do not see a way to find the timstamps of CLOSED entries
with the agenda. So the agenda does not show what you have accomplished, only what is still open.

Another point are maybe inactive timestamps, which I use a lot to simply mark my notes with the current date.
I do not know, if they readily show up in the agenda.

Hope, this helps.

with kind regards, Marc

* Re: [DEV] Package org-find-timestamps on worg
@ 2011-12-20  0:12       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-12-20  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc-Oliver Ihm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Marc-Oliver Ihm <marc-oliver.ihm@online.de> writes:

> There is probably some overlap here, but I do not see a way to find the timstamps of CLOSED entries
> with the agenda. So the agenda does not show what you have accomplished, only what is still open.
>
> Another point are maybe inactive timestamps, which I use a lot to
> simply mark my notes with the current date.
> I do not know, if they readily show up in the agenda.

Try this in the daily/weekly agenda view:

C-u l
  to show clock logs, state changes, and closed time stamps
[
  to show inactive timestamps

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: [DEV] Package org-find-timestamps on worg
@ 2011-12-20 19:50         ` Marc-Oliver Ihm
From: Marc-Oliver Ihm @ 2011-12-20 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Bernt,

Frankly spoken, I did not know, that so much of the functionality I tried to implement
was already present in orgmode (and I have been using it for a while now ...).

So I will have to check, what, if anything at all, makes a point for using my package.

Thanx for your explanations,
which not at last have taught me, never to underestimate the broadness and depth of orgmode :-)

with kind regards, Marc-Oliver Ihm

Am 20.12.2011 01:12, schrieb Bernt Hansen:
> Marc-Oliver Ihm<marc-oliver.ihm@online.de>  writes:
>
>> There is probably some overlap here, but I do not see a way to find the timstamps of CLOSED entries
>> with the agenda. So the agenda does not show what you have accomplished, only what is still open.
>>
>> Another point are maybe inactive timestamps, which I use a lot to
>> simply mark my notes with the current date.
>> I do not know, if they readily show up in the agenda.
>
> Try this in the daily/weekly agenda view:
>
> C-u l
>    to show clock logs, state changes, and closed time stamps
> [
>    to show inactive timestamps
>
> HTH,
> Bernt

* Re: [DEV] Package org-find-timestamps on worg is now deprecated !
@ 2011-12-25 21:36         ` Marc-Oliver Ihm
From: Marc-Oliver Ihm @ 2011-12-25 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Marc-Oliver Ihm, emacs-orgmode

Am 20.12.2011 01:12, schrieb Bernt Hansen:
> Marc-Oliver Ihm<marc-oliver.ihm@online.de>  writes:
>
>> There is probably some overlap here, but I do not see a way to find the timstamps of CLOSED
>> entries with the agenda. So the agenda does not show what you have accomplished, only what
>> is still open.
>>
>> Another point are maybe inactive timestamps, which I use a lot to simply mark my notes with
>> the current date. I do not know, if they readily show up in the agenda.
>
> Try this in the daily/weekly agenda view:
>
> C-u l to show clock logs, state changes, and closed time stamps [ to show inactive
> timestamps
>
> HTH, Bernt

Hi Bernt, Hi list,

Now I have checked the commands available in the agenda and you are right: The agenda already
contains excellent functionality to do nearly all of the things, my package does.

Therefore I deprecated it on Worg by adding this line:

> This module is now deprecated, because it mostly duplicates functionality already provided
> by the agenda; see the list of agenda commands and especially 'v l' for viewing logbook
> entries, 'v [' for showing inactive timestamps and 'j' to display the agenda for a specified
> date.

Thanx again for pointing this out !

Before polishing my next package for publishing, I will first ask the mailing list for any
pointers to prior art :-)

with kind regards, Marc-Oliver Ihm

* org-sparse-tree by dates range (was: [DEV] Package org-find-timestamps on worg)
@ 2011-12-31 17:10 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-12-31 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc-Oliver Ihm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Marc-Oliver,

thanks to the ideas you mentioned long ago for org-find-timestamps.el,
I implemented a new org-sparse-tree possibility: by date range.

Just try `C-c / D' in an Org file and you'll see it.

Thanks again for this idea!

--
 Bastien