* How to link to a fragment (aka anchor/bookmark) of a local file (e.g. a TiddlyWiki)?
@ 2011-11-09 17:22 Christoph LANGE
From: Christoph LANGE @ 2011-11-09 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I know that org-mode supports links to local files via relative file:
URLs, e.g. file:filename.html.  It also supports links to fragments (aka
anchors/bookmarks) in remote files via http: URLs, e.g.
http://www.example.org/filename.html#section2.

Now, is there a way to combine these?  I would like to use something
like file:filename.html#section2 to link to a fragment in a file that is
in the same directory as my org file.  For portability reasons I don't
want to use any other way of linking to that file than a relative file: URL.

Please read on if and only if you are interested in my reasons for
wishing for such a feature :-)

My concrete use case is that before learning about org-mode I managed my
personal knowledge in a TiddlyWiki (http://www.tiddlywiki.com/), and
some of my knowledge I'm still keeping there.  (Why?  See below.)  The
pages ("tiddlers") in a TiddlyWiki can be accessed as fragments of the
TiddlyWiki HTML file, e.g. file:/path/to/tiddly.html#WikiPage.  I have
my TiddlyWiki file in the same directory as my org file and would like
to link to specific pages of it using file:tiddly.html#WikiPage in order
to achieve a tight integration between both knowledge collections.

FYI, and really just FYI, as I don't want to start a flamewar: The one
single thing that I still like better in TiddlyWiki than in org-mode and
that I haven't been able to reproduce in org-mode is that I can organize
my knowledge in a hierarchical and linked way by tagging pages with
other pages.  E.g. I could have a page OrgMode tagged with
ProductivityTool, where ProductivityTool would not merely be a tag, but
the name of another page, which contains general information about such
tools.  That is, to the best of my knowledge, not possible in org-mode,
which treats outline headlines and tags as two completely different things.

Cheers, and thanks in advance for any help,

Christoph

--
Christoph Lange, http://www.facebook.com/ch.lange, Skype duke4701

* Re: How to link to a fragment (aka anchor/bookmark) of a local file (e.g. a TiddlyWiki)?
@ 2011-11-09 18:03 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-11-09 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you search for "ID markers" in the ML archives, you will find a
proposal by me that provides mechanism for this that is non-brittle.

In the meantime maybe you can use the existing brittle mechanism for
search links (see the manual) in combination with a personal special
keyword that you never change.  A possibility anyway.  You might need
to change a hook.

* Re: How to link to a fragment (aka anchor/bookmark) of a local file (e.g. a TiddlyWiki)?
@ 2011-11-11 20:06   ` Christoph LANGE
From: Christoph LANGE @ 2011-11-11 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Samuel,

> If you search for "ID markers" in the ML archives, you will find a
> proposal by me that provides mechanism for this that is non-brittle.

thanks for this pointer.  This is definitely helpful and interesting
information for me – when working _within_ org-mode.  I am actually a
semantic web researcher and thus highly interested in giving everything
an ID that can be linked to – not just for my research, but, of course,
also for my personal knowledge management.

But my question in this thread was a different one: linking to fragments
of _external_ files, most commonly HTML files that I'd like to open
outside of Emacs in a browser.

Cheers,

Christoph

--

@ 2011-11-11 20:30     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-11-11 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Christoph,

Really?

Very strange.

I thought I had explained pretty clearly in the proposals that ID
markers can be put in comments in the /external/ files.

If you look up file link search, you will see that it is breakable by
corrupting the thing searched for.

Org IDs in external files -- which I propose to be in ID markers --
are as unbreakable as you can arrange in a practical way.

In any case, it is just a proposal, so if it doesn't work for you, no
need to use it.

Samuel

On 2011-11-11, Christoph LANGE <ch.lange@jacobs-university.de> wrote:
> Hi Samuel,

>> If you search for "ID markers" in the ML archives, you will find a
>> proposal by me that provides mechanism for this that is non-brittle.
>
> thanks for this pointer.  This is definitely helpful and interesting
> information for me – when working _within_ org-mode.  I am actually a
> semantic web researcher and thus highly interested in giving everything
> an ID that can be linked to – not just for my research, but, of course,
> also for my personal knowledge management.
>
> But my question in this thread was a different one: linking to fragments
> of _external_ files, most commonly HTML files that I'd like to open
> outside of Emacs in a browser.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Christoph
>
> --
> Christoph Lange, http://www.facebook.com/ch.lange, Skype duke4701

===
Bigotry against people with serious diseases is still bigotry.

* Re: How to link to a fragment (aka anchor/bookmark) of a local file (e.g. a TiddlyWiki)?
@ 2011-11-11 20:51       ` Christoph LANGE
From: Christoph LANGE @ 2011-11-11 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Samuel,

> I thought I had explained pretty clearly in the proposals that ID
> markers can be put in comments in the /external/ files.

Ah, OK, sorry, I didn't notice that.  But, anyway, I'm not sure if I'd
want to put such markers into all pages of my TiddlyWiki.  And while
that would still be _possible_, I'm sure that there is also a use case
for linking to fragments of local HTML files that you really don't want
to change or can't change.  Imagine being a non-privileged user and
linking via file:///path/to/software/manual.html#feature to some section
of the manual of a software installed by an admin user, or to some
downloaded e-book or archived web page.

> Org IDs in external files -- which I propose to be in ID markers --
> are as unbreakable as you can arrange in a practical way.

BTW that reminds me of purple numbers
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Numbers), which I have seen in some
wikis.  But they don't scale as well as your ID markers.

Cheers,

Christoph

--
Christoph Lange, http://www.facebook.com/ch.lange, Skype duke4701