* Idea: insert "current sort order" property
@ 2011-10-07 15:02 Gez
From: Gez @ 2011-10-07 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

What I'm imagining is a command executed on a headline to insert a property
into each of its children "fixing" the current order; something like
":sorted:01", ":sorted:02"  etc.  Ideally there would be a prompt for the
property key (or part of it) so that there could be more than one such
property for a particular headline, but with the option to simplify the
usage and consistency by having just one property key as a default and no
prompt.

One of my uses of org-mode is to list songs (Lieder) that I am currently
working on, and I mark them up with special todo states and tags relating to
my workflow - e.g. findscore, translate, memorise etc.  I've also been known
to add properties such as 1st line text (if different from title), poet, and
pagenumber.  While I'm dealing with a list of repertoire (there's a lot of
bitty admin involved!)  I've found it useful to sort alphabetically, by TODO
state and by these properties, but I'd like to be able to retain the order
in which the songs will be performed.  I know I could manually add such a
property to each headline myself but I'd really love to be able to quickly
"fix" the order of my sorted headings by automating a ":sorted:" property.
Another use I can imagine for this is when juggling an outline, one could
"fix" an order that reads well, and then play around with it to see how it
might flow better, knowing that it would be easy to return to the last
preferred sort-order - like a rollback.  During the last few weeks I would
have made use of this not only when working on songs, but also when
designing song programmes and writing my resumé.

If a sorted headline got moved to a new parent its sort-order might be a
duplicate one of its siblings, but I don't really see that as a problem -
the user knows it's "only text" after all.  I don't know whether it might be
desired to similarly fix the sort-order of 1st level headlines; perhaps the
command could act per current file, with a < to narrow down to the current
tree.  I'm also not sure how to deal with larger numbers - 01-99 seems like
a good default but could one have an option for 001-999?  I also wonder
about adding the property to more than one level at a time, but might that
be a bit much in terms of affecting performance?

Does anyone else see this as potentially useful?

Gez
GNU Emacs 23.3.1 and org-version 7.7