Here is a simple footnote in a test file: Footnotes: [1] The footnote contains a cross-reference to [[Heading]]. When I export this using org-export-as-pdf, the cross-reference to Heading doesn't get exported properly. In particular, what I see in the emitted latex file is: Inside the text there is a footnote.\protect\footnote{The footnote contains a cross-reference to \hyperref[Heading]{Heading}. } But the only latex \label associated with \section{Heading} is \label{sec-1}. I am attaching the sample org file and latex output. Thanks for any suggestions! Robert