* Showing remaining time in agenda mode
@ 2011-09-12  7:34 Mats Kindahl
From: Mats Kindahl @ 2011-09-12  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I have been using Org-Mode with great success over the last year (or
so). There is a number of items that I need to handle, and I am
reading through the code to try to figure out how to do the various
items. However, recently I switched to using 7.7, which disabled a
feature I use (but it seems to just be a matter of setting it up
again) but also seem to have a lot of additions that I need.

Beginning of each week, I plan the coming week using the agenda mode
to sort out tasks over the week. To do this efficiently, I have been
looking at Effort for each task and the summary for the day, and when
the default column view for the agenda showed Effort and Clock, this
worked quite well if you manage to complete the tasks during a week.
However, quite often I run across tasks that I cannot easily split
into smaller tasks and which take more than a week to complete (even
though the tasks themselves might be small, I can just spend a few
hours each week on them), which forces me to make the math in the head
to distribute the right amount for each day.

Now, the default column view changed with 7.7, so I have no idea on
how to set up the agenda column view to show the following:

    * Each "task line" should show Item, Effort, Clock, and Clock - Effort
    * Each "day line" should show the summary of (at least) the Effort
      and the Clock - Effort

Does anybody know how to set this up, or do I need to go digging the code?

Best wishes,
Mats Kindahl

* Re: Showing remaining time in agenda mode
@ 2011-09-12 11:14 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-09-12 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mats Kindahl; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Mats Kindahl <mats.kindahl@oracle.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been using Org-Mode with great success over the last year (or
> so). There is a number of items that I need to handle, and I am
> reading through the code to try to figure out how to do the various
> items. However, recently I switched to using 7.7, which disabled a
> feature I use (but it seems to just be a matter of setting it up
> again) but also seem to have a lot of additions that I need.
>
> Beginning of each week, I plan the coming week using the agenda mode
> to sort out tasks over the week. To do this efficiently, I have been
> looking at Effort for each task and the summary for the day, and when
> the default column view for the agenda showed Effort and Clock, this
> worked quite well if you manage to complete the tasks during a week.
> However, quite often I run across tasks that I cannot easily split
> into smaller tasks and which take more than a week to complete (even
> though the tasks themselves might be small, I can just spend a few
> hours each week on them), which forces me to make the math in the head
> to distribute the right amount for each day.
>
> Now, the default column view changed with 7.7, so I have no idea on
> how to set up the agenda column view to show the following:
>
>     * Each "task line" should show Item, Effort, Clock, and Clock - Effort
>     * Each "day line" should show the summary of (at least) the Effort
>       and the Clock - Effort
>
> Does anybody know how to set this up, or do I need to go digging the code?
>
> Best wishes,
> Mats Kindahl

Hi Mats,

Try customizing org-columns-default-format.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Showing remaining time in agenda mode
@ 2011-09-12 12:02   ` Mats Kindahl
From: Mats Kindahl @ 2011-09-12 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 09/12/2011 01:14 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
> Mats Kindahl <mats.kindahl@oracle.com> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have been using Org-Mode with great success over the last year (or
>> so). There is a number of items that I need to handle, and I am
>> reading through the code to try to figure out how to do the various
>> items. However, recently I switched to using 7.7, which disabled a
>> feature I use (but it seems to just be a matter of setting it up
>> again) but also seem to have a lot of additions that I need.
>>
>> Beginning of each week, I plan the coming week using the agenda mode
>> to sort out tasks over the week. To do this efficiently, I have been
>> looking at Effort for each task and the summary for the day, and when
>> the default column view for the agenda showed Effort and Clock, this
>> worked quite well if you manage to complete the tasks during a week.
>> However, quite often I run across tasks that I cannot easily split
>> into smaller tasks and which take more than a week to complete (even
>> though the tasks themselves might be small, I can just spend a few
>> hours each week on them), which forces me to make the math in the head
>> to distribute the right amount for each day.
>>
>> Now, the default column view changed with 7.7, so I have no idea on
>> how to set up the agenda column view to show the following:
>>
>>     * Each "task line" should show Item, Effort, Clock, and Clock - Effort
>>     * Each "day line" should show the summary of (at least) the Effort
>>       and the Clock - Effort
>>
>> Does anybody know how to set this up, or do I need to go digging the code?
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Mats Kindahl
> Hi Mats,
>
> Try customizing org-columns-default-format.

Thanks Bernt,

But how to define different formats for tasks and days and how to
define the format for "Clock - Effort"?

/Matz

* Re: Showing remaining time in agenda mode
@ 2011-09-12 16:18     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-09-12 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mats Kindahl; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Mats Kindahl <mats.kindahl@oracle.com> writes:

> On 09/12/2011 01:14 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>> Mats Kindahl <mats.kindahl@oracle.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have been using Org-Mode with great success over the last year (or
>>> so). There is a number of items that I need to handle, and I am
>>> reading through the code to try to figure out how to do the various
>>> items. However, recently I switched to using 7.7, which disabled a
>>> feature I use (but it seems to just be a matter of setting it up
>>> again) but also seem to have a lot of additions that I need.
>>>
>>> Beginning of each week, I plan the coming week using the agenda mode
>>> to sort out tasks over the week. To do this efficiently, I have been
>>> looking at Effort for each task and the summary for the day, and when
>>> the default column view for the agenda showed Effort and Clock, this
>>> worked quite well if you manage to complete the tasks during a week.
>>> However, quite often I run across tasks that I cannot easily split
>>> into smaller tasks and which take more than a week to complete (even
>>> though the tasks themselves might be small, I can just spend a few
>>> hours each week on them), which forces me to make the math in the head
>>> to distribute the right amount for each day.
>>>
>>> Now, the default column view changed with 7.7, so I have no idea on
>>> how to set up the agenda column view to show the following:
>>>
>>>     * Each "task line" should show Item, Effort, Clock, and Clock - Effort
>>>     * Each "day line" should show the summary of (at least) the Effort
>>>       and the Clock - Effort
>>>
>>> Does anybody know how to set this up, or do I need to go digging the code?
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Mats Kindahl
>> Hi Mats,
>>
>> Try customizing org-columns-default-format.
>
> Thanks Bernt,
>
> But how to define different formats for tasks and days and how to
> define the format for "Clock - Effort"?

Hi Mats,

I'm not sure what you need to put in for these requirements.  I'm not
sure if column mode can calculate Clock - Effort for you automatically
(but maybe it can with some fancy extra table formula).

I only use column view in a fairly basic mode - showing item, estimate,
and clock time with the following setting.

(setq org-columns-default-format "%80ITEM(Task) %10Effort(Estimated Effort){:} %10CLOCKSUM")

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Showing remaining time in agenda mode
@ 2011-09-12 16:31       ` Mats Kindahl
From: Mats Kindahl @ 2011-09-12 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 09/12/2011 06:18 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
> Mats Kindahl <mats.kindahl@oracle.com> writes:

>>> Hi Mats,
>>>
>>> Try customizing org-columns-default-format.
>> Thanks Bernt,
>>
>> But how to define different formats for tasks and days and how to
>> define the format for "Clock - Effort"?
> Hi Mats,
>
> I'm not sure what you need to put in for these requirements.  I'm not
> sure if column mode can calculate Clock - Effort for you automatically
> (but maybe it can with some fancy extra table formula).
>
> I only use column view in a fairly basic mode - showing item, estimate,
> and clock time with the following setting.
>
> (setq org-columns-default-format "%80ITEM(Task) %10Effort(Estimated Effort){:} %10CLOCKSUM")

Thanks Bernt,

I'll try the format you suggest and see how it handles the "day rows".
I tried another format involving some other fields, but this caused it
to not show the day summaries.

For how to fix the "Effort - Clock", I guess I have to go into the
code and see what I can do to tweak it.

Best wishes,
Mats Kindahl