* How-to evaluate Java-snippets in org-mode/org-babel?
@ 2011-07-05  7:01 Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-07-05  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I need to evaluate many small java snippets. I tried to do this in
org-mode but so fare it didn't work out. org-babel seems to have no java
support ?

I can put the snippets in #BEGIN_SRC #END_SRC brackets which works nice
for archiving and reporting. I can even call them in there own buffer
via C-'. Now I would like to execute them to see if they work. Most of
them just create some console output.
If I could simply execute the buffer I'm getting via C-' and see the
output this would be totally sufficient.

I have trouble with different aspects of this. The buffer called by C-'
has an unfortunate naming e.g. *Org Src main.org[ java ]*.... simply
saving this buffer and trying to compile it troubles the java compiler.
Giving it a different name works, but then I face the problem that I
need the following directories and name convention:

directory: <package_name>\<class_name>.java
to call
javac <package_name>\<class_name>.java
to create the class file and
java <package>name.<classname>
to execute the file.

Obviously, I would prefer to to this automatically from within emacs.

Ideally I would love to use org-babel. If this doesn't work out. A
command to create the directories and filenames on fly, compile and
execute it would be awesome too.

If there is someone who did something similar or has an idea... would be
glad to hear about

Totti

* Re: How-to evaluate Java-snippets in org-mode/org-babel?
@ 2011-07-05  9:07 ` Eric S Fraga
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-07-05  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I need to evaluate many small java snippets. I tried to do this in
> org-mode but so fare it didn't work out. org-babel seems to have no
> java support ?

Not directly but, given the issues with class paths and naming schemes,
I would suggest that the best route is to use babel to tangle code
instead of trying to execute it directly within org.  So, for instance,
you might have:

#+begin_src java :tangle "mypackage/myclass.java"
package mypackage;
public class myclass
{
}
#+end_src

Then "C-c v t" in org will put the code into the appropriate file.

You can have different snippets of code (e.g. each individual method in
the class) as separate source code blocks which can be tangled to the
same file.  You can also have different destinations for tangling in the
case that you have different classes.

Finally, you could then have a shell script, within org, to execute the
particular Java class you want:

#+begin_src sh :results output
javac -cp . mypackage/myclass.java
java -cp . mypackage.myclass
#+end_src

Untested but I do this (on Linux, not sure about Windows however) with
Octave all the time, despite Octave being supported by org directly.
When I have multiple functions, this approach is easier.

HTH.
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.574.g5a503)

* Re: How-to evaluate Java-snippets in org-mode/org-babel?
@ 2011-07-05  9:22   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-07-05  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I need to evaluate many small java snippets. I tried to do this in
>> org-mode but so fare it didn't work out. org-babel seems to have no
>> java support ?
>
> Not directly but, given the issues with class paths and naming schemes,
> I would suggest that the best route is to use babel to tangle code
> instead of trying to execute it directly within org.  So, for instance,
> you might have:
>
> #+begin_src java :tangle "mypackage/myclass.java"
> package mypackage;
> public class myclass
> {
> }
> #+end_src
>
> Then "C-c v t" in org will put the code into the appropriate file.

That should have been "C-c C-v t" (org-babel-tangle); apologies for
typographical error!

--

@ 2011-07-05 13:48   ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2011-07-05 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 10:07:19 +0100, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> Torsten Wagner writes:
>
>> Hi all, I need to evaluate many small java snippets. I tried to do
>> this
>> in org-mode but so fare it didn't work out. org-babel seems to have
>> no
>> java support ?
>
> Not directly but, given the issues with class paths and naming
> schemes,
> I would suggest that the best route is to use babel to tangle code
> instead of trying to execute it directly within org.

My guess is that if you want to execute it directly within org, the
thing to do is to run it in beanshell[1], like JDEE does. I'm not
really familiar enough with org-babel to tell you how to go about
doing that, though.

[1] http://www.beanshell.org/

| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |

* Re: How-to evaluate Java-snippets in org-mode/org-babel?
@ 2011-07-06 12:28   ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-07-06 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eric,

Somehow I was pretty sure you would answer ;)

I tried your example and it work great so far.

I have three points which I would like to discuss

1. I thought it might be nice to declare the package and class name for
the java-stuff as variable in a property node then I could do something
like:

* Coursework 1
:PROPERTIES:
:var: PKGNAME="cw1"
:var: CLASS="calc"
:END:

** Snippet 1
** Snippet 2

* Coursework 2
:PROPERTIES:
:var: PKGNAME="cw2"
:var: CLASS="string"
:END:

** Snippet 1
** Snippet 2

Unfortunately, org-mode does not allow multiple definition of the same
property. I know there is a work around with a table. However, I thought
I could use simply a list.

:var: vars="(cw1 calc)"
and use this in my shell script. However, this doesn't work. I can't
index them. Any idea? Should it work in principle? Could I e.g., use
:var: vars="{'x': 128, 'y': 210}"
and put this in a python block accessing them by vars['x'] and
vars['y']? That would be great!

2. I'm not totally sure but it seems that tangling creates the desired
file if it is not existing so fare but it does not create folders thus,
:tangle path/filename seems not to work.
Any reason for this or maybe good idea to add it as a feature?
For now, I added a little shell-based block "start" which takes care of
this.

3. Tangleing and executing the code via a shell blocks works great. I
saw somewhere that you could even tangle from the command line by
calling emacs in batch mode. That's maybe a bit overcomplex for my task
but some additional style to noweb might be nice. Instead of placing the
code block at the point of call, tangle the code block. Then I could call

<<start>>
<<snippet>>
<<execute>>

If I understood right, noweb for now only place the code of the block at
the particular place. Maybe, I could write a lisp-block "tangle" which
tangles the code and call it via
<<tangle(snippet)>>
Just want to know if this might be a good idea in general or if this
works already in some other way.

All the best

@ 2011-07-06 12:36     ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-07-06 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jason,

> My guess is that if you want to execute it directly within org, the
> thing to do is to run it in beanshell[1], like JDEE does. I'm not
> really familiar enough with org-babel to tell you how to go about
> doing that, though.

Maybe this works nice too. However, so fare Erics solution turns out
nice. Would need to see which advantages I would have using beanshell.
Maybe code debugging might be easier then.

Thanks for the tipp

@ 2011-07-06 13:26     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-07-06 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jason F. McBrayer" <jmcbray@carcosa.net> writes:

> On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 10:07:19 +0100, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>> Torsten Wagner writes:
>>
>>> Hi all, I need to evaluate many small java snippets. I tried to do
>>> this
>>> in org-mode but so fare it didn't work out. org-babel seems to have
>>> no
>>> java support ?
>>
>> Not directly but, given the issues with class paths and naming
>> schemes,
>> I would suggest that the best route is to use babel to tangle code
>> instead of trying to execute it directly within org.
>
> My guess is that if you want to execute it directly within org, the
> thing to do is to run it in beanshell[1], like JDEE does. I'm not
> really familiar enough with org-babel to tell you how to go about
> doing that, though.
>

> [1] http://www.beanshell.org/

I think the first place to look for executing Java from Org-mode code
blocks would be to check if any existing Emacs java modes already
provide support for interactive code evaluation.  When possible
piggybacking off of existing support modes is generally the easiest
solution.

See org/ob-C.el for an example of how to execute a code block which
requires compilation before execution.  I've (thankfully) managed to
avoid using Java throughout my CS career, so I'm not overly familiar
with the execution mechanics.  There are numerous examples in the ob-*
files of languages which write code block bodies to external files and
then pass those files to executables.

beanshell looks like it may provide the best option for :session
evaluation, however if no inferior java mode currently exists I would be
hesitant to try to wrap beanshell directly.

Cheers -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: How-to evaluate Java-snippets in org-mode/org-babel?
@ 2011-07-06 13:38     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-07-06 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Somehow I was pretty sure you would answer ;)
>
> I tried your example and it work great so far.
>
> I have three points which I would like to discuss
>
> 1. I thought it might be nice to declare the package and class name
> for the java-stuff as variable in a property node then I could do
> something like:
>
> * Coursework 1
> :PROPERTIES:
> :var: PKGNAME="cw1"
> :var: CLASS="calc"
> :END:
>
> ** Snippet 1
> ** Snippet 2
>
> * Coursework 2
> :PROPERTIES:
> :var: PKGNAME="cw2"
> :var: CLASS="string"
> :END:
>
> ** Snippet 1
> ** Snippet 2
>
> Unfortunately, org-mode does not allow multiple definition of the same
> property. I know there is a work around with a table. However, I
> thought I could use simply a list.
>
> :var: vars="(cw1 calc)"

quotes force string interpretation, try something like the following...

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var lst='(0 1 2)
  (first lst)
#+end_src

#+results:
: 0

or as a noweb reference

#+data: external-list
- 0
- 1
- 2

#+begin_src sh :noweb yes
  echo <<external-list()[0]>>
#+end_src

#+results:
: 0

> and use this in my shell script. However, this doesn't work. I can't
> index them. Any idea? Should it work in principle? Could I e.g., use
> :var: vars="{'x': 128, 'y': 210}" and put this in a python block
> accessing them by vars['x'] and vars['y']? That would be great!

The only data types which can be passed between Org-mode code blocks
currently are lists (of arbitrary dimension), numbers and strings.
Hashes (or "dictionaries") are not currently supported.

see the :mkdirp header argument http://orgmode.org/manual/mkdirp.html

> Any reason for this or maybe good idea to add it as a feature?  For
> now, I added a little shell-based block "start" which takes care of
> this.
>
> 3. Tangleing and executing the code via a shell blocks works great. I
> saw somewhere that you could even tangle from the command line by
> calling emacs in batch mode. That's maybe a bit overcomplex for my
> task but some additional style to noweb might be nice. Instead of
> placing the code block at the point of call, tangle the code
> block. Then I could call
>
> <<start>>
> <<snippet>>
> <<execute>>
>
> If I understood right, noweb for now only place the code of the block
> at the particular place. Maybe, I could write a lisp-block "tangle"
> which tangles the code and call it via
> <<tangle(snippet)>>
> Just want to know if this might be a good idea in general or if this
> works already in some other way.

You probably don't want to pass the body of a code block to a lisp
function as quoting will become a nightmare, however passing the name to
a lisp block may be reasonable.

I would suggest that rather than implementing this behavior in a code
block you take a look at starting a ob-java.el file.  A partial
implementation (e.g., only external evaluation, no session evaluation)
would be a useful contribution, and given the many helper functions and
examples present in the other ob-* files this would most likely be
easier than a custom lisp-block implementation.

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: How-to evaluate Java-snippets in org-mode/org-babel?
@ 2011-07-06 15:14       ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2011-07-06 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 07:26:45 -0600, Eric Schulte wrote:

> I think the first place to look for executing Java from Org-mode code
> blocks would be to check if any existing Emacs java modes already
> provide support for interactive code evaluation.

I believe JDEE does support this:

> jde-bsh-run is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `jde-bsh.el'.
>
> (jde-bsh-run)
>
> *Starts the JDEE version of the BeanShell.

But honestly, getting everything set up for your environment for it to
actually work right is a pain and three quarters.

@ 2011-07-06 17:11         ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-07-06 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> But honestly, getting everything set up for your environment for it to
> actually work right is a pain and three quarters.

+1
I tried to use JDEE. It was crazy complex to set-up and at some point I gave up.
It seems Java support under emacs got a bit weak.

@Eric..
well I never used Java much. Learned a bit about it 10 years ago. Now
they asked me to assist teaching a Java class..... you never now
what's coming next, right ;)

@ 2011-07-06 19:15         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-07-06 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jason F. McBrayer" <jmcbray@carcosa.net> writes:

> On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 07:26:45 -0600, Eric Schulte wrote:
>
>> I think the first place to look for executing Java from Org-mode code
>> blocks would be to check if any existing Emacs java modes already
>> provide support for interactive code evaluation.
>
> I believe JDEE does support this:
>
>> jde-bsh-run is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `jde-bsh.el'.
>>
>> (jde-bsh-run)
>>
>> *Starts the JDEE version of the BeanShell.
>
> But honestly, getting everything set up for your environment for it to
> actually work right is a pain and three quarters.

How true; the only reason I have emacs 23 still installed on my system
is the continuing failure to install jdee, ecb, et al. on Emacs 24.
Trying to get something (compatible across emacs versions) running to
support Java within org is likely to be a nightmare.  However, I hope
somebody on this list can prove me wrong!

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.586.g382e6)

* Re: How-to evaluate Java-snippets in org-mode/org-babel?
@ 2011-07-14  5:42       ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-07-14  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eric,

> You probably don't want to pass the body of a code block to a lisp
> function as quoting will become a nightmare, however passing the name to
> a lisp block may be reasonable.
>
> I would suggest that rather than implementing this behavior in a code
> block you take a look at starting a ob-java.el file.  A partial
> implementation (e.g., only external evaluation, no session evaluation)
> would be a useful contribution, and given the many helper functions and
> examples present in the other ob-* files this would most likely be
> easier than a custom lisp-block implementation.

o.k. the first round of evaluations is over and it worked out o.k.
However, there was still rather much handwork to do.
I tried to get a ob-java.el file together using the template and mainly
by looking at ob-c.el which I guess comes close what would have to be
done for java.
However, my lisp-skills (which are close to zero) are not enough to get
it working. The main problem was that ob-c.el is working for both C and
C++ and all this if then else troubles me a bit.

Basically, I want only tangle the actual code block into a temp file.
Well temp is not really right, since java demand its file structure and
file naming. Finally execute it externally by your proposed code

javac -cp . mypackage/myclass.java
java -cp . mypackage.myclass

and return the results

Hmm maybe better to give a real world example (stripped down to make it
shorter)
I use now the following way
/-----------------------------------------------/
#+BABEL: :mkdirp t

* Coursework 1
** StudentID1
#+BEGIN_SRC java
   package foo;
   public class Bar
   {
           private double ans = 0
           public void set(double d){
                   ans = d;
           }
           public void print(){
                   System.out.println(ans);
           }
           public static void main(String[] argv){
                   Bar c = new Bar();
                   c.set(100);
                   c.print();
           }
   }
#+end_src

** StudentID2
#+BEGIN_SRC java
   package foo;
   public class Bar
   {
           private double x = 0
           public void set(double in){
                   x = in;
           }
           public void print(){
                   System.out.println(x);
           }
           public static void main(String[] argv){
                   Bar myclass = new Bar();
                   myclass.set(100);
                   myclass.print();
           }
   }
#+end_src

** Result
#+srcname: result
#+begin_src sh :results output
javac -cp . foo/Bar.java
java -cp . foo.Bar
#+end_src

/----------------------------------------------------/

For now I only added the tangle command to a single code block and
created the file via C-c C-v t.

#+BEGIN_SRC java tangle: foo/Bar.java

Then I rushed down to a shell block  "result" which executed the the
above commands. I checked the results and started to remove the tangle
object from one block and added it to the next block. Kind of tiring if
you have several dozen of blocks.
Guess you can see from the above example the trouble of having several
dozen of them and then tangeling them one by one and execute the result
block ;)

I tried to make it more easy by giving the shell block a name and call
it under each java code block. This would save me the time going up and
down in my file.

#+call: result()

However, I noticed that the result update was always done at the first
appearances of the call , like under the first java code block but not
at the desired code block?!
if you fold all together it would look like

/-----------------------------------------------/
#+BABEL: :mkdirp t

* Coursework 1
** StudentID1
#+BEGIN_SRC java
#+call: result()

#+results: result
: 100.0

** StudentID2
#+BEGIN_SRC java :tangle foo/Bar.java
#+call: result()

** Result
#+srcname: result
/-----------------------------------------------/

Calling the second call function updates the result on the first!

Anyhow, I guess having it working with a ob-java.el minimal system would
be the most easiest. Simply type C-c C-c and it would be done.

Would be very glad if you could help me to get this somehow working.

@ 2011-07-15 15:00         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-07-15 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Torsten,

I've just written the included emacs-lisp function [1], which when added
to your config should provide for minimal evaluation functionality for
java code blocks.

This function drops the body of a code block to a file named after the
value of the :classname header argument (since java cares about file
names), it then compiles the file with javac, and executes the resulting
executable returning the results.  See the attached Org-mode file [2]
which evaluates successfully on my system (after I installed javac).

I copied the code example and compilation process from [3].

Please let me know how this works for you, hopefully once we iron out
the kinks in this function it can serve as the seed for a full java
mode.

Cheers -- Eric

> [...]

> if you fold all together it would look like
>
> /-----------------------------------------------/
> #+BABEL: :mkdirp t
>
> * Coursework 1
> ** StudentID1
> #+BEGIN_SRC java
> #+call: result()
>
> #+results: result
> : 100.0
>
> ** StudentID2
> #+BEGIN_SRC java :tangle foo/Bar.java
> #+call: result()
>
> ** Result
> #+srcname: result
> /-----------------------------------------------/
>
> Calling the second call function updates the result on the first!
>
> Anyhow, I guess having it working with a ob-java.el minimal system
> would be the most easiest. Simply type C-c C-c and it would be done.
>
> Would be very glad if you could help me to get this somehow working.

Footnotes:
[1]
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (defun org-babel-execute:java (body params)
    (let* ((classname (or (cdr (assoc :classname params))
                          (error
                           "Can't compile a java block without a classname")))
           (src-file (concat classname ".java"))
           (full-body (org-babel-expand-body:generic body params))
           (compile
            (progn (with-temp-file src-file (insert full-body))
                   (org-babel-eval (concat "javac " src-file) ""))))
      ((lambda (results)
         (org-babel-reassemble-table
          (if (member "vector" (cdr (assoc :result-params params)))
              (let ((tmp-file (org-babel-temp-file "c-")))
                (with-temp-file tmp-file (insert results))
                (org-babel-import-elisp-from-file tmp-file))
            (org-babel-read results))
          (org-babel-pick-name
           (cdr (assoc :colname-names params)) (cdr (assoc :colnames params)))
          (org-babel-pick-name
           (cdr (assoc :rowname-names params)) (cdr (assoc :rownames params)))))
       (org-babel-eval (concat "java " classname) ""))))
#+end_src

[2]  hello-java.org

[-- Attachment #2: hello-java.org --]
[-- Type: text/x-org, Size: 224 bytes --]

#+begin_src java :classname myfirstjavaprog
  class myfirstjavaprog
  {
      public static void main(String args[])
      {
          System.out.println("Hello World!");
      }
  }
#+end_src

#+results:
: Hello World!

[3]  http://www.javacoffeebreak.com/java101/java101.html

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: How-to evaluate Java-snippets in org-mode/org-babel?
@ 2011-07-18  1:31           ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-07-18  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry took me a while to test it.
It works great !!!!
Many many thanks for your help.
I found two minor things.
My snippets contain the definition of a package, which in turn end to be a
folder. The tangle function could create folders on demand. Would be useful
for your code too. It works already by creating the folder manually and
simply write...

#+begin_src java classname packagename/classname

in the next step, people might use sessions as equivalent to a package. This
would allow to define multiple classes and the usage of them within a single
execution.

However for now its perfect already. Why not putting it into ob-java.el and
see how its develope.
Totti

@ 2011-07-18 14:53             ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-07-18 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry took me a while to test it.
> It works great !!!!
> Many many thanks for your help.
> I found two minor things.
> My snippets contain the definition of a package, which in turn end to be a
> folder. The tangle function could create folders on demand. Would be useful
> for your code too. It works already by creating the folder manually and
> simply write...
>
> #+begin_src java classname packagename/classname

OK, I've changed this code so that missing package directories will be
created automatically.

> in the next step, people might use sessions as equivalent to a package. This
> would allow to define multiple classes and the usage of them within a single
> execution.

From earlier discussion in this thread, it sounds as though java session
integration is difficult and cumbersome, so for now I would lean towards
simply not including session support.

> However for now its perfect already. Why not putting it into ob-java.el and
> see how its develope.

Sounds good, I have just added a small ob-java.el to the Org-mode core.

Thanks for the feedback -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: How-to evaluate Java-snippets in org-mode/org-babel?
@ 2011-07-28 10:49               ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-07-28 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eric,

some feedback of first testing weeks....
It works well on my desktop machine, I tried to do the same on my
laptop. However, I faced the problem that java did not find the files.
I tried everything. Made sure using the same java and emacs version
(same linux distro, same test file). Copied over .emacs config files,
compared the versions of ob-java.el on both machines. I couldn't figure
out why it works with one and does not work on the other machine.
Somehow the classpath seems to differ buy I do not see where to change
it in the correct way.

I hacked a bit into ob-java.el file. I noticed that you call the
generated class file by creating the string

java packagename/classname

whereas packagename/classname is coming from the classname variable set
at the source-code block.

In the earlier attempt we used

java -cp . packagename.classname

which makes sure the classpath is set to the local directory.

I hacked this into your code and now it works on the laptop too (to say
this modification works on both desktop and laptop). It might be worse
to add, since the classpath seems to be set depending on many parameters
(distro, other java ides, local user settings, etc.). Thus, many might
observe problems at this point.

Please find a patch attached.

Even better would be to add an option to set the classpath but my elisp
skills are to poor for that.... but would like to see how to do it ;)
#+BABEL: :classpath "."
where it might be the local directory by default?!

Beside of that I noticed that there might be a need for a plain-text
mode.. sounds funny, but maybe sometimes someone need auxiliary files
which are not executed by themselves. Sure I could use simply a shell
session and echo into a file, or tangle it,  but I guess it might be
more elegant to have a, "only-paste-this-into-this-file-execute"

#+BEGIN_SRC: plain :filename folder/folder/testdata.csv
1, 2
2, 4
3, 8
#+END_SRC
to generate /folder/folder/testdata.csv which contains the data in the
block.

Because sometimes, one might need to call external programs or programs
in code-blocks are supposed to read data from files instead from within
org-babel.

In general this could be the standard feature for all unrecognised
languages. Probably with a warning that the required
compiler/interpreter is not configured. However, this would allow people
at least to get the source files which they could use externally. The
difference to tangle would be that one can decide block by block what to
execute. E.g., I could have several of the above "testdata" blocks and
simply executing one of them would change the input for later code blocks.

Totti

[-- Attachment #2: java_classpath.patch --]

From 9853070846e98c2a14452e51c8756611aa145363 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Torsten <torsten.wagner@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 19:27:08 +0900
Subject: [PATCH] resolve problems with wrong classpath

---
 lisp/ob-java.el |    4 ++--

diff --git a/lisp/ob-java.el b/lisp/ob-java.el
index 8595a18..cee797a 100644
--- a/lisp/ob-java.el
+++ b/lisp/ob-java.el
@@ -50,7 +50,7 @@
 	 (compile
 	  (progn (with-temp-file src-file (insert full-body))
 		 (org-babel-eval
-		  (concat org-babel-java-compiler " " src-file) ""))))
+		  (concat org-babel-java-compiler " -cp . " src-file) ""))))
     ;; created package-name directories if missing
     (unless (or (not packagename) (file-exists-p packagename))
       (make-directory packagename 'parents))
@@ -65,7 +65,7 @@
 	 (cdr (assoc :colname-names params)) (cdr (assoc :colnames params)))
 	(org-babel-pick-name
 	 (cdr (assoc :rowname-names params)) (cdr (assoc :rownames params)))))
-     (org-babel-eval (concat org-babel-java-command " " classname) ""))))
+     (org-babel-eval (concat org-babel-java-command " -cp . " classname) ""))))

 (provide 'ob-java)

--
1.7.6

* Re: How-to evaluate Java-snippets in org-mode/org-babel?
@ 2011-07-29  0:06                 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-07-29  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> some feedback of first testing weeks....
> It works well on my desktop machine, I tried to do the same on my
> laptop. However, I faced the problem that java did not find the files.
> I tried everything. Made sure using the same java and emacs version
> (same linux distro, same test file). Copied over .emacs config files,
> compared the versions of ob-java.el on both machines. I couldn't
> figure out why it works with one and does not work on the other
> machine.
> Somehow the classpath seems to differ buy I do not see where to change
> it in the correct way.
>
> I hacked a bit into ob-java.el file. I noticed that you call the
> generated class file by creating the string
>
> java packagename/classname
>
> whereas packagename/classname is coming from the classname variable
> set at the source-code block.
>
> In the earlier attempt we used
>
> java -cp . packagename.classname
>
> which makes sure the classpath is set to the local directory.
>
> I hacked this into your code and now it works on the laptop too (to
> say this modification works on both desktop and laptop). It might be
> worse to add, since the classpath seems to be set depending on many
> parameters (distro, other java ides, local user settings, etc.). Thus,
> many might observe problems at this point.
>
> Please find a patch attached.
>
> Even better would be to add an option to set the classpath but my
> elisp skills are to poor for that.... but would like to see how to do
> it ;)
> #+BABEL: :classpath "."
> where it might be the local directory by default?!

I've just pushed up a slightly different solution which involves two new
header arguments
- :cmpflag can be used to pass flags to the java compiler (e.g., "cp .")
- :cmdline can be used to pass flags to the java executable (e.g., "cp .")

So, the following could be used to get the behavior resulting from your
patch using these flags.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq org-babel-default-header-args:java '((:cmpflag "-cp .") (:cmdline "-cp .")))
#+end_src

This solution somehow seems more flexible in that it won't force a
classpath value on users and will allow for passing other flags to the
java runtime.

> Beside of that I noticed that there might be a need for a plain-text
> mode.. sounds funny, but maybe sometimes someone need auxiliary files
> which are not executed by themselves. Sure I could use simply a shell
> session and echo into a file, or tangle it,  but I guess it might be
> more elegant to have a, "only-paste-this-into-this-file-execute"
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC: plain :filename folder/folder/testdata.csv
> 1, 2
> 2, 4
> 3, 8
> #+END_SRC
> to generate /folder/folder/testdata.csv which contains the data in the
> block.

This is currently possible with tangling, e.g.,

#+begin_src text :tangle somewhere.txt
  This will still tangle out to a file, and it opens in text mode, which
  may be nice.
#+end_src

Thanks for the feedback and the patch -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/