* Google weather
@ 2011-06-07  6:53 Carsten Dominik
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-06-07  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,

I am trying to use the google weather in Org-mode for the first time, but I am always getting a 443 error when I evaluate something like

(org-google-weather "Amsterdam")

I am not sure where to look for what might causing this - any pointers would be
appreciated....

- Carsten

* Re: Google weather
@ 2011-06-07 12:14 ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2011-06-07 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I am trying to use the google weather in Org-mode for the first time,
> but I am always getting a 443 error when I evaluate something like
>
> (org-google-weather "Amsterdam")
>
> I am not sure where to look for what might causing this - any pointers would be

It looks as though google-weather is trying to use ssl to contact
Google. It shouldn't need to do this, as the weather site it accessible
via port 80.

Try pasting the following url's into your browser:

http://www.google.co.uk/ig/api?weather=Amsterdam&hl=en-gb
https://www.google.co.uk/ig/api?weather=Amsterdam&hl=en-gb

You will need to replace google.co.uk with whatever the url is for
Netherlands. You should get an wml page with the weather forecast. If
that is working it rules out any problems with proxy servers and ssl.

Best wishes,

Ian.

* Re: Google weather
@ 2011-06-07 12:19 ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2011-06-07 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/06/11 07:53, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am trying to use the google weather in Org-mode for the first time, but I am always getting a 443 error when I evaluate something like
>
> (org-google-weather "Amsterdam")
>
> I am not sure where to look for what might causing this - any pointers would be
> appreciated....

It looks as though google-weather is trying to use ssl to contact
Google. It shouldn't need to do this, as the weather site it accessible
via port 80.

Try pasting the following url's into your browser:

http://www.google.co.uk/ig/api?weather=Amsterdam&hl=en-gb
https://www.google.co.uk/ig/api?weather=Amsterdam&hl=en-gb

You will need to replace google.co.uk with whatever the url is for
Netherlands. You should get an xml page with the weather forecast. If

@ 2011-06-07 13:40 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-06-07 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am trying to use the google weather in Org-mode for the first time, =
> but I am always getting a 443 error when I evaluate something like
>
> (org-google-weather "Amsterdam")
>
> I am not sure where to look for what might causing this - any pointers =
> would be
> appreciated....

As Ian points out, the https: version of the URL might be causing you
problems. I have this problem from work, where I'm behind the firewall
and the proxy does not seem to be able or willing to forward the
request - it works fine from home. But I would caution everybody that
Google seems to be changing the data they return on a daily basis
nowadays and google-weather cannot keep up. It might be a good idea to
wait a few days for the volatility to die down. See the related thread
"Icon problem with org-google-weather" for a blow-by-blow description
of the fight.

BTW, you can ask google-weather to use the http: protocol by

    (setq google-weather-use-https nil)

Nick

PS Here's a debugging function I wrote to bypass google-weather
altogether and check what Google was sending me. This in combination
with visiting the URLs in a browser, as Ian points out, should be
enough to get you through http/https/SSL/proxy problems:

(defun my-url-retrieve (url)
  (with-current-buffer (url-retrieve-synchronously url)
    (buffer-substring (point-min) (point-max))))

Try

        (my-url-retrieve "http://www.google.com/ig/api?weather=Amsterdam")

and/or the https version of it.