From: Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Slowness in Org - how to disable mouse popups/followings
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 11:03:49 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 06.05.2011 12:02, schrieb Rainer Stengele:
> Hi,
>
> I am always struggling with performance problemns when using Emacs orgmode under Windows.
> Under Linux I do not see slow respsonses for my several and long org files.
>
> Under Windows I run
> GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) from trunk 2011-02-16 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)
>
> Hovering with the emouse over the Emacs windows I see some popups showing up very slowly.
> Emacs also highlights the links in my org files when moving the mouse over it.
> This all semmes to slow down Emacs a lot - under Windows ...
>
> I do not need the special mouse functionality in Orgmode.
> Is there a way to deactivate the highlighting of links etc.?
>
> I searched a bit in the custom variables but did not find the right places.
>
> -- Rainer

Hi,

fighting still with the slowness in Org as soon as the mouse "hits" some lines in agenda view or even in any org file
I thought why not run the "fast displaying" emacs under Linux and redirect the display to my windows X-server.
Well - the X-server under Windows (X-Deep 4.6.5) slows the display of refreshes even more.
So this is of no help - at least with my X-Server.

Can't I control the creation of links in agenda view?
I did not find a variable to configure.

OK, a little later I found this

(setq mouse-highlight nil)

That does what I need, the awful timeout while moving the mouse over links is gone!
Of course any highlighting is now gone ...

As far as I see now the highlighting of links itself is not the issue. What takes several
seconds is the display of a little popup window showing the contens of the link (e.g. "LINK: file:filename.org).

This must be a windows problem. In the past I already found two major performance hogs coming from
a display problem under windows:

- smooth-scolling.el
- hl-line-mode     - (add-hook 'org-agenda-mode-hook 'hl-line-mode)

Now I wonder if that little "LINK: " window can be switched off.

-- Rainer