From: Mike McLean <mike.mclean@pobox.com>
To: Harold Klingsporn <hal@retrotech.org>
Cc: Org Mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>, urs.rau@om.org
Subject: Re: org-mac-protocol usage under Snow Leopard ?
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 19:07:17 -0400	[thread overview]

On 4/8/11 11:04 PM, Harold Klingsporn wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Urs Rau (UK) <urs.rau@om.org
> <mailto:urs.rau@om.org>> wrote:
>
>     Usage
>>
>>     There are four scripts that can be invoked; |org-link|,
>>     |org-link-tabs|, |org-note|, and |org-remember|. These scripts
>>     can be called by various methods, for example, the Script menu
>>     <https://Applications/AppleScript/AppleScript%20Utility.app/> in
>>     the menu bar, Quicksilver
>>     <http://code.google.com/p/blacktree-alchemy/>, FastScripts
>>     <http://www.red-sweater.com/fastscripts/> etc.
>>

>     Urs Rau
>

> I just saw this post and hope it isn't still an open issue, but in
> case it is, take a look at
> <http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20080315064646576> for
> advice on how to enable script execution in OS X. Nothing specific to
> emacs or Org mode.
Just as an update to that article, the correct place in Snow Leopard is
to launch "AppleScript Editor.app" which is in the Utilities folder in
the /Applications folder. The preferences for that application include
"Show Script menu in menu bar" which when checked will enable the script
menu. The preference option to "Show computer scripts" will show scripts
from /Library/Scripts to regardless of the logged in user. The "user"
scripts are in ~/Library/Scripts and each application can have specific
scripts in ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/<app-name>. Once the script
menu is enabled, the first item on the menu is "open scripts folder"
submenu that will let you open any of the valid locations in the Finder
(to, e.g. copy a script into).

Accessing AppleScripts via keyboard shortcuts is different, and the best
way to go mouseless on the Mac is to use any of a variety of 3rd party
keyboard launchers. I've used Quicksilver in the past, I'm using
LaunchBar now, there is also Butler, Chronos F10 Launch Studio, and even
though the name doesn't indicate it TextExpander can call applescripts
via command keys.