* Display missing/overlapping clock ranges
@ 2011-04-13 15:44 Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2011-04-13 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all!

I do clock every task I work on during the whole day.
At the end of the day or week I have to go over all clock entries in my agenda
and see if there are holes or overlappings in my clock tables.
If yes I have to adjust the clocks.

I read Bernt Hansen's comments on how he works with clocks
(http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#Clocking).

What about a function showing the lacking clock ranges over
the day while being in the agenda with log mode on?

The function could even check for overlapping clock ranges and indicate these
or jump to these.

Maybe it would even be good to be able to configure daily and weekly
regular holes in the ranges, for example

- daily lunch time from [12:00]--[13:00]
- week end days (maybe with diary syntax)
- working days (Monday to Friday for example)

What do you think?

-- Rainer

* Re: Display missing/overlapping clock ranges
@ 2011-04-13 16:28 ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2011-04-13 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> writes:

> Hi all!
>
> I do clock every task I work on during the whole day.
> At the end of the day or week I have to go over all clock entries in my agenda
> and see if there are holes or overlappings in my clock tables.
> If yes I have to adjust the clocks.
>
> I read Bernt Hansen's comments on how he works with clocks
> (http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#Clocking).
>
> What about a function showing the lacking clock ranges over
> the day while being in the agenda with log mode on?
>
> The function could even check for overlapping clock ranges and indicate these
> or jump to these.
>
> Maybe it would even be good to be able to configure daily and weekly
> regular holes in the ranges, for example
>
> - daily lunch time from [12:00]--[13:00]
> - week end days (maybe with diary syntax)
> - working days (Monday to Friday for example)
>
> What do you think?
>
> -- Rainer

I'd defintely use something which identified the gaps and overlaps as
they're taking some time to find now that I have to account more closely
for my time! I've been considering whether to raise this for a
while. The 'regular holes' idea is good to, although not as important
for me.

Paul

* Re: Display missing/overlapping clock ranges
@ 2011-04-13 21:06   ` Bernt Hansen
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-04-13 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> writes:

> Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> writes:
>
>> I do clock every task I work on during the whole day.
>> At the end of the day or week I have to go over all clock entries in my agenda
>> and see if there are holes or overlappings in my clock tables.
>> If yes I have to adjust the clocks.
>>
>> I read Bernt Hansen's comments on how he works with clocks
>> (http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#Clocking).
>>
>> What about a function showing the lacking clock ranges over
>> the day while being in the agenda with log mode on?
>>
>> The function could even check for overlapping clock ranges and indicate these
>> or jump to these.
>>
>> Maybe it would even be good to be able to configure daily and weekly
>> regular holes in the ranges, for example
>>
>> - daily lunch time from [12:00]--[13:00]
>> - week end days (maybe with diary syntax)
>> - working days (Monday to Friday for example)
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> -- Rainer
>
> I'd defintely use something which identified the gaps and overlaps as
> they're taking some time to find now that I have to account more closely
> for my time! I've been considering whether to raise this for a
> while. The 'regular holes' idea is good to, although not as important
> for me.
>
> Paul

Hi Rainer and Paul,

Locating gaps would be useful.  I've been meaning to investigate this
but haven't spent any time on it yet.  With my current clocking setup
I've found I get very few holes.  Checking the times is a task I do
manually just before billing for my time.  I currently just use a visual
scan of the daily agenda(s) including clocking lines displayed ensuring
that the start and end times match over the clocking period.

It should be possible to automate the check.  How should a filtered
agenda be handled?  I expect you'd want to see the gaps for the entries
that are filtered away otherwise it's only really meaningful when you
look at the entire clocking data.

The major problem I used to have was clocks that would be opened and
never closed.  These were bad because they count as 0 minutes and
without fixing those entries I don't bill for that time.  Since the
invention of M-x org-resolve-clocks (which runs everytime I clock in) I
now find these open clocks quickly and don't need to reconstruct the
data a week later.  I haven't had this problem in a long time.

Maybe something like the following mock up?

Day-agenda (W15):
Wednesday  13 April 2011
  todo:        7:09- 7:11 Clocked:   (0:02) Organization                                   :PERSONAL::
               7:11- 8:00 - Gap ->   (0:49)
  org:         8:00- 8:12 Clocked:   (0:12) DONE Try to fix this bug                :ORG:WORK:tuning::
  todo:        8:12- 8:26 Clocked:   (0:14) Organization                                   :PERSONAL::
  diary:       8:26- 9:06 Clocked:   (0:40) Breakfast
  todo:        9:06- 9:30 Clocked:   (0:24) Task A                                         :PERSONAL::
               9:30-10:58 - Gap ->   (1:28)
              10:00...... ----------------
  todo:       10:58-11:11 Clocked:   (0:13) Organization                                   :PERSONAL::
              vvv ------ Overlap ------ vvv
  todo:       11:11-11:12 Clocked:   (0:01) Read Mail and News                             :PERSONAL::
  todo:       11:10-11:14 Clocked:   (0:01) Organization                                   :PERSONAL::
              ^^^ ------ Overlap ------ ^^^
  todo:       11:14-11:15 Clocked:   (0:01) Read Mail and News                             :PERSONAL::
  todo:       11:15-11:16 Clocked:   (0:01) Organization                                   :PERSONAL::
              12:00...... ----------------
              14:00...... ----------------
              16:00...... ----------------
              11:16-16:33 - Gap ->   (5:17)
  todo:       16:33...... Clocked:   (-) Read Mail and News                                :PERSONAL::
              16:43...... now - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              18:00...... ----------------
              20:00...... ----------------

Bernt

* Re: Display missing/overlapping clock ranges
@ 2011-04-14  8:26     ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2011-04-14  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> Hi Rainer and Paul,
>
> Locating gaps would be useful.  I've been meaning to investigate this
> but haven't spent any time on it yet.  With my current clocking setup
> I've found I get very few holes.  Checking the times is a task I do
> manually just before billing for my time.  I currently just use a visual
> scan of the daily agenda(s) including clocking lines displayed ensuring
> that the start and end times match over the clocking period.
>
> It should be possible to automate the check.  How should a filtered
> agenda be handled?  I expect you'd want to see the gaps for the entries
> that are filtered away otherwise it's only really meaningful when you
> look at the entire clocking data.
>
> The major problem I used to have was clocks that would be opened and
> never closed.  These were bad because they count as 0 minutes and
> without fixing those entries I don't bill for that time.  Since the
> invention of M-x org-resolve-clocks (which runs everytime I clock in) I
> now find these open clocks quickly and don't need to reconstruct the
> data a week later.  I haven't had this problem in a long time.
>
> Maybe something like the following mock up?
>
> Day-agenda (W15):
> Wednesday  13 April 2011
>   todo:        7:09- 7:11 Clocked:   (0:02) Organization                                   :PERSONAL::
>                7:11- 8:00 - Gap ->   (0:49)
>   org:         8:00- 8:12 Clocked:   (0:12) DONE Try to fix this bug                :ORG:WORK:tuning::
>   todo:        8:12- 8:26 Clocked:   (0:14) Organization                                   :PERSONAL::
>   diary:       8:26- 9:06 Clocked:   (0:40) Breakfast
>   todo:        9:06- 9:30 Clocked:   (0:24) Task A                                         :PERSONAL::
>                9:30-10:58 - Gap ->   (1:28)
>               10:00...... ----------------
>   todo:       10:58-11:11 Clocked:   (0:13) Organization                                   :PERSONAL::
>               vvv ------ Overlap ------ vvv
>   todo:       11:11-11:12 Clocked:   (0:01) Read Mail and News                             :PERSONAL::
>   todo:       11:10-11:14 Clocked:   (0:01) Organization                                   :PERSONAL::
>               ^^^ ------ Overlap ------ ^^^
>   todo:       11:14-11:15 Clocked:   (0:01) Read Mail and News                             :PERSONAL::
>   todo:       11:15-11:16 Clocked:   (0:01) Organization                                   :PERSONAL::
>               12:00...... ----------------
>               14:00...... ----------------
>               16:00...... ----------------
>               11:16-16:33 - Gap ->   (5:17)
>   todo:       16:33...... Clocked:   (-) Read Mail and News                                :PERSONAL::
>               16:43...... now - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>               18:00...... ----------------
>               20:00...... ----------------
>
> Regards,
> Bernt

Bernt, that's exactly how I'd envisaged the gap identification, and the
overlap highlighting looks great.

Paul

* Re: Display missing/overlapping clock ranges
@ 2011-04-14  9:06     ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2011-04-14  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Paul Mead

Am 13.04.2011 23:06, schrieb Bernt Hansen:
> [...]
>               vvv ------ Overlap ------ vvv
>   todo:       11:11-11:12 Clocked:   (0:01) Read Mail and News                             :PERSONAL::
>   todo:       11:10-11:14 Clocked:   (0:01) Organization                                   :PERSONAL::
>               ^^^ ------ Overlap ------ ^^^
>   todo:       11:14-11:15 Clocked:   (0:01) Read Mail and News                             :PERSONAL::
>   todo:       11:15-11:16 Clocked:   (0:01) Organization                                   :PERSONAL::
>               12:00...... ----------------
>               14:00...... ----------------
>               16:00...... ----------------
>               11:16-16:33 - Gap ->   (5:17)
>   todo:       16:33...... Clocked:   (-) Read Mail and News                                :PERSONAL::
>               16:43...... now - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bernt,

that looks very useful!

Regards,

@ 2011-04-19 12:28 ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2011-04-19 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am 13.04.2011 17:44, schrieb Rainer Stengele:
> Hi all!
>
> I do clock every task I work on during the whole day.
> At the end of the day or week I have to go over all clock entries in my agenda
> and see if there are holes or overlappings in my clock tables.
> If yes I have to adjust the clocks.
>
> I read Bernt Hansen's comments on how he works with clocks
> (http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#Clocking).
>
> What about a function showing the lacking clock ranges over
> the day while being in the agenda with log mode on?
>
> The function could even check for overlapping clock ranges and indicate these
> or jump to these.
>
> Maybe it would even be good to be able to configure daily and weekly
> regular holes in the ranges, for example
>
> - daily lunch time from [12:00]--[13:00]
> - week end days (maybe with diary syntax)
> - working days (Monday to Friday for example)
>
> What do you think?
>
> -- Rainer

Hi again,

I just "rediscovered" the wonderful C-c C-x C-d (org-clock-display)
command to show subtree times in the whole buffer.
How could I miss that, being an "old" org user ...

Anyway, I browsed a bit through my headlines and found some huge times.
Digging deeper I found some "runaway" clocks exceeding several days, one even over more than a year.

As I do not review all org files for such errors, I would be interested in

- finding all clock times longer than x hours (for example 12 hours - I never clock over night)
- find all clock times clocking "in the weekend" (Saturday, Sunday)
- finding all clock times lower than y minutes (for example 15 minutes)

Are theree any already included functions in Org helping me do that?

Best,
- Rainer

* Re: Display missing/overlapping clock ranges
@ 2011-04-24 15:30     ` Carsten Dominik
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-04-24 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13.4.2011, at 23:06, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> [...]
>              vvv ------ Overlap ------ vvv
>  todo:       11:11-11:12 Clocked:   (0:01) Read Mail and News                             :PERSONAL::
>  todo:       11:10-11:14 Clocked:   (0:01) Organization                                   :PERSONAL::
>              ^^^ ------ Overlap ------ ^^^
>  todo:       11:14-11:15 Clocked:   (0:01) Read Mail and News                             :PERSONAL::
>  todo:       11:15-11:16 Clocked:   (0:01) Organization                                   :PERSONAL::
>              12:00...... ----------------
>              14:00...... ----------------
>              16:00...... ----------------
>              11:16-16:33 - Gap ->   (5:17)
>  todo:       16:33...... Clocked:   (-) Read Mail and News                                :PERSONAL::
>              16:43...... now - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hi Bernt, Rainer, Paul,

these are pretty good ideas, and since it is a holiday, I have some time,
so I have tried an implementation and just pushed it to the master.

This introduces a new key in the agenda, "v c", which will check for
clocking issues and display them in a similar way as Bernt proposes.

The whole thing works like log view, so it applies to the currently
displayed span in the agenda, and it sticks if you move around
with "f" and "b".  To get out of this view, press "l" to turn off
log view, for example.

Also, it is a special log view in that it only shows clocking
information, I believe this makes it more direct and useful.

There is a variable to configure what constitutes clocking issues.
The default value is

(setq org-agenda-clock-consistency-checks
  '(:max-duration "10:00" :min-duration 0 :max-gap "0:05" :gap-ok-around ("4:00")))

which means the following:

1. Report any clocking chunks that are longer than 10 hours,
2. Report clocking chunks that are shorter than 0 minutes
   (so this could be used to find short clocks, by setting it
    to one minute or so)
3. Report gaps in the clocking, if the gap is larger than 5 minutes
   (should than be called :min-gap?  I am confused....)
4. If the time 4am falls into a large gap, do not report the gap.
   This is to avoid the spurious reporting of gaps between the
   last evening task and the first morning task.

Testing and feedback would be much appreciated.
Also, it is not really useful to use this on a filtered agenda view,
but testing of this would be appreciated as well.

Happy holidays!

- Carsten

* Re: Display missing/overlapping clock ranges
@ 2011-04-24 21:48       ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2011-04-24 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 24.04.2011 17:30, schrieb Carsten Dominik:
> [...]
> The default value is
>
> (setq org-agenda-clock-consistency-checks
>   '(:max-duration "10:00" :min-duration 0 :max-gap "0:05" :gap-ok-around ("4:00")))
>
> which means the following:
>
> 1. Report any clocking chunks that are longer than 10 hours,
> 2. Report clocking chunks that are shorter than 0 minutes
>    (so this could be used to find short clocks, by setting it
>     to one minute or so)
> 3. Report gaps in the clocking, if the gap is larger than 5 minutes
>    (should than be called :min-gap?  I am confused....)
> 4. If the time 4am falls into a large gap, do not report the gap.
>    This is to avoid the spurious reporting of gaps between the
>    last evening task and the first morning task.
>

> Testing and feedback would be much appreciated.
> Also, it is not really useful to use this on a filtered agenda view,
> but testing of this would be appreciated as well.

Hi Carsten,

excellent, I already found some gaps and overlaps in last weeks work
clockings!

1. I wonder how to get rif of the lunch break "gaps". Of course I could
clock the lunch time as such,
but I would prefer to provide my daily fixed lunch time in order to
- ignore any gap occuring between start and end of "lunch time"

OK I just set

:gap-ok-around ("4:00" "12:30")

which did what I wanted. But imagine I would have my lunch break from 12:31 to 12:55. The break would be reported as gap.
I would rather have a clock range wherein anay gap would be ignored.
Did I understand something wrong?

2. Maybe the fonts or the indicating strings for "gap" and "overlap" could be made configurable?

I would try to make these two look differently.

Thanks again! Marvelous!
I will use the function daily or at least weekly!

@ 2011-04-24 22:07         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-04-24 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24.4.2011, at 23:48, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> [...]
>> Also, it is not really useful to use this on a filtered agenda view,
>> but testing of this would be appreciated as well.
>>
>> Happy holidays!
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

> Hi Carsten,
>
> excellent, I already found some gaps and overlaps in last weeks work
> clockings!
>
> 1. I wonder how to get rif of the lunch break "gaps". Of course I could
> clock the lunch time as such,
> but I would prefer to provide my daily fixed lunch time in order to
> - ignore any gap occuring between start and end of "lunch time"
>
> OK I just set
>
> :gap-ok-around ("4:00" "12:30")
>
> which did what I wanted. But imagine I would have my lunch break from 12:31 to 12:55. The break would be reported as gap.
> I would rather have a clock range wherein anay gap would be ignored.

The idea is to pick a time that is safely in the break, like 4:00 is safely
after you last work from the previous day and safely before your first work
of the next day.  Just pick a single time that is safely in your
lunch break, for example 12:45.  If you break is too irregular, then this
will not work for you.  But, you know, it is OK to ignore a gap warning
when you know what has caused it.  Tools are there the help
us, not to enslave us.  Good tools, anyway.

> 2. Maybe the fonts or the indicating strings for "gap" and "overlap" could be made configurable?
>
> I would try to make these two look differently.

The easiest would be to define these fonts also in the property list.
I'll take a look at this.

> Thanks again! Marvelous!
> I will use the function daily or at least weekly!

Jup, I think checking this regularly makes sense, maybe
as part of the weekly review.

- Carsten

* Re: Display missing/overlapping clock ranges
@ 2011-04-24 23:09       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-04-24 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> these are pretty good ideas, and since it is a holiday, I have some time,
> so I have tried an implementation and just pushed it to the master.
>

> Testing and feedback would be much appreciated.
> Also, it is not really useful to use this on a filtered agenda view,
> but testing of this would be appreciated as well.

Thanks Carsten!  I'll take a closer look at this on Tuesday when I'm
back in the office.  My initial reaction is it's *awesome*!  :)

Best Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Display missing/overlapping clock ranges
@ 2011-04-27 11:53         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-04-27 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 24, 2011, at 11:48 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Happy holidays!
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

> Hi Carsten,
>
> excellent, I already found some gaps and overlaps in last weeks work
> clockings!
>
> 1. I wonder how to get rif of the lunch break "gaps". Of course I could
> clock the lunch time as such,
> but I would prefer to provide my daily fixed lunch time in order to
> - ignore any gap occuring between start and end of "lunch time"
>
> OK I just set
>
> :gap-ok-around ("4:00" "12:30")
>
> which did what I wanted. But imagine I would have my lunch break from 12:31 to 12:55. The break would be reported as gap.
> I would rather have a clock range wherein anay gap would be ignored.
> Did I understand something wrong?
>

> 2. Maybe the fonts or the indicating strings for "gap" and "overlap" could be made configurable?

This is now the case. for example

(setq org-agenda-clock-consistency-checks
 '(:max-duration "10:00" :min-duration 0 :max-gap "0:05" :gap-ok-around ("4:00")
   :default-face ((:background "Red")) :gap-face ((:background "green")))

Cheers

- Carsten

> I would try to make these two look differently.
>
> Thanks again! Marvelous!
> I will use the function daily or at least weekly!
>
> - Rainer

- Carsten

* Re: Display missing/overlapping clock ranges
@ 2011-04-27 12:43       ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2011-04-27 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Carsten and all,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> these are pretty good ideas, and since it is a holiday, I have some time, so
> I have tried an implementation and just pushed it to the master.
>
> This introduces a new key in the agenda, "v c", which will check for
> clocking issues and display them in a similar way as Bernt proposes.
>
> The whole thing works like log view, so it applies to the currently
> displayed span in the agenda, and it sticks if you move around with "f" and
> "b". To get out of this view, press "l" to turn off log view, for example.
>
> Also, it is a special log view in that it only shows clocking information, I
> believe this makes it more direct and useful.
>
> There is a variable to configure what constitutes clocking issues. The
> default value is
>
> (setq org-agenda-clock-consistency-checks
>   '(:max-duration "10:00" :min-duration 0 :max-gap "0:05" :gap-ok-around ("4:00")))
>
> which means the following:
>
> 1. Report any clocking chunks that are longer than 10 hours,
> 2. Report clocking chunks that are shorter than 0 minutes
>    (so this could be used to find short clocks, by setting it
>     to one minute or so)
> 3. Report gaps in the clocking, if the gap is larger than 5 minutes
>    (should than be called :min-gap?  I am confused....)

First, I would choose "min-gap". But, then, if we look carefully, what you
describe are conditions for being reported:

- max duration allowed; if not, report it
- min duration allowed; if not, report it
- max gap allowed; if not, report it
- ...

So, in this case, "max" makes more sense than "min".

> 4. If the time 4am falls into a large gap, do not report the gap.
>    This is to avoid the spurious reporting of gaps between the
>    last evening task and the first morning task.
>
> Testing and feedback would be much appreciated.

Great feature!  Missed it for long...

> Also, it is not really useful to use this on a filtered agenda view,
> but testing of this would be appreciated as well.

Works perfect.

2011-04-27 Wed ______________________________________________________
               8:00......
  Work:        9:08- 9:27 Clocked:   (0:19) TODO Organize work
  Work:        9:27-11:42 Clocked:   (2:15) TODO Read email and news
              10:00......
  Work:       11:42-12:22 Clocked:   (0:40) TODO Organize work
              12:00......
 No end time
  Work:       13:29...... Clocked:   (-) TODO Organize work

Two remarks:

- I would add another space in front of both strings ("No end time" and "Time
  gap"), as they are well highlighted with the fonts customs

- I think I would put "No end time" after the task line, not before.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Display missing/overlapping clock ranges
@ 2011-05-03  7:05           ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2011-05-03  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Carsten,

yesterday I found some time to check all my clockings starting from the begining of the year.
With the help of the agenda gaps and overlaps indication I found quite some faults in my clockings.

I found the functions to be very helpful!
Org is becoming more useful all the time!

Thanks again for implementing!

Maybe you could now implement some function telling me what I did in the clocking gaps ... :-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards
    Rainer Stengele

__|___
  | Dipl. Inf. (Univ.) Rainer Stengele
  | Technical Control - System Administration
  |
  | email    : Rainer.Stengele@diplan.de
  | voice/fax: ++49-9131-7778-85/88
  | WWW      : http://www.diplan.de
  |
  | diplan GmbH
  | Wetterkreuz 27
  | 91058 Erlangen, Germany

Diese E-Mail kann vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen enthalten. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.