* Extracting pdf metadata
@ 2011-03-25  1:21 Marvin Doyley
From: Marvin Doyley @ 2011-03-25  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi there,

Does anybody have a lisp code that can extract metadata from pdf. There is
an interesting program called sciplpore (
http://www.sciplore.org/software/sciplore_mindmapping/ that does this for
freemind), it might be useful if were able to do the same with org (i.e.,
important pdf meta data, bookmark and stickies directly into org).

Cheers

PS I think one of my goals this summer will be to learn lisp :)

* Re: Extracting pdf metadata
@ 2011-03-25  2:08 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-03-25  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marvin Doyley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 8:21 PM, Marvin Doyley <marvinpas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Does anybody have a lisp code that can extract metadata from pdf. There is
> an interesting program called sciplpore
> (http://www.sciplore.org/software/sciplore_mindmapping/ that does this for
> freemind), it might be useful if were able to do the same with org (i.e.,
> important pdf meta data, bookmark and stickies directly into org).

Not that this what you asked for, but there's a small python
application called stapler that can extract metadata. At the least,
maybe somehow it could be useful to look at the code? Then again, it's
built on a python library... so maybe there's nothing that will really
translate to elisp. I just ran into it as an alternative to pdftk and
thus it was fresh in my mind.

At github: https://github.com/fwenzel/stapler

Pertinent output from help:
,---
| $ stapler --help
| info: <inputfile> ... (no output needed)
|    Display PDF metadata
`---

Best regards,
John

@ 2011-03-25  8:34 ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-03-25  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marvin Doyley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 25/03/11 02:21, Marvin Doyley wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Does anybody have a lisp code that can extract metadata from pdf. There
> is an interesting program called sciplpore
> (http://www.sciplore.org/software/sciplore_mindmapping/ that does this
> for freemind), it might be useful if were able to do the same with org
> (i.e., important pdf meta data, bookmark and stickies directly into org).

As far as I remember, sciplore is not only extracting metadata embedded
in th pdf, but also from the text - they submit it to a server which
uses the academic article and compares it to layouts from different
publishers and uses those to extract bibliographic information from the
text. If that is what you want, then it might be considerably more
difficult then just extracting embedded metadata.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Cheers

> PS I think one of my goals this summer will be to learn lisp :)

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Natural Sciences Building
Office Suite 2039