* org-crypt Error: org-crypt-use-before-save-magic
@ 2011-03-14  7:08 Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2011-03-14  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am investigating using org-crypt in some of my files. In my .emacs I have:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(require 'org-crypt)
(org-crypt-use-before-save-magic)

(setq org-tags-exclude-from-inheritance (quote ("crypt")))
; GPG key to use for encryption
(setq org-crypt-key "MyKey")
#+END_SRC

When I start Emacs I get:

Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
`/home/ian/.emacs':

Symbol's function definition is void: org-crypt-use-before-save-magic

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.

The corresponding backtrace is:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function
org-crypt-use-before-save-magic)
   (org-crypt-use-before-save-magic)
   eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*<2>> nil "/home/ian/.emacs.d/blacky.el"
nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 28453
   load-with-code-conversion("/home/ian/.emacs.d/blacky.el"
"/home/ian/.emacs.d/blacky.el" nil nil)
   load("/home/ian/.emacs.d/blacky.el" nil nil t)
   load-file("~/.emacs.d/blacky.el")
   org-babel-load-file("~/.emacs.d/blacky.org")
   eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/ian/.emacs" nil t)  ;
Reading at buffer position 208
   load-with-code-conversion("/home/ian/.emacs" "/home/ian/.emacs" t t)
   load("~/.emacs" t t)
   #[nil "\b\205\264

I am using a recent git checkout.

I notice that org-crypt isn't documented in the manual and there is an
old message from Carsten asking for someone to document it. If I can get
it working I'll promise to document it:) Also I'll write something about
using ssh agent with org an Emacs, a topic that has cuased me some head
scratching recently.

Ian.

* Re: org-crypt Error: org-crypt-use-before-save-magic
@ 2011-03-14  9:36 ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2011-03-14  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lists; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Mar 14 2011, Ian Barton wrote:

> I notice that org-crypt isn't documented in the manual and there is an
> old message from Carsten asking for someone to document it. If I can get
> it working I'll promise to document it:) Also I'll write something about
> using ssh agent with org an Emacs, a topic that has cuased me some head
> scratching recently.

By any chance, aren't you loading your Emacs' org-crypt version rather
than the git one? This could happen if the load-path is set later.

--
Julien Danjou
❱ http://julien.danjou.info

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: org-crypt Error: org-crypt-use-before-save-magic
@ 2011-03-14 15:55   ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2011-03-14 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 14/03/11 09:36, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14 2011, Ian Barton wrote:
>
>> I notice that org-crypt isn't documented in the manual and there is an
>> old message from Carsten asking for someone to document it. If I can get
>> it working I'll promise to document it:) Also I'll write something about
>> using ssh agent with org an Emacs, a topic that has cuased me some head
>> scratching recently.
>
> By any chance, aren't you loading your Emacs' org-crypt version rather
> than the git one? This could happen if the load-path is set later.

Found the problem. There was another older version of org-crypt.el on my
load-path, as well as the git version. Time to start writing manuals:)

Ian.