From: "Olaf.Hamann" <O.Hamann@gmx.net>
Subject: [Babel] Deep interest in LP feature of org-mode
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:30:50 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello all,

this starts with kind of an introduction to the list as I will post more
in future
and leads to a few concept questions concerning org-babel-detangle at
the end.

First of all many thanks to the authors of the babel package!
Integrating babel into core orgmode made me discovering it.

This comes to the right time because I'm very interested in "Literate
Programming" and have to leave my beloved LP tool.

I use LP techniques when putting scripts coded in different languages
together to solve a certain task,
as it is normal when creating media output with a collection of
different command line tools.

LP helps me to present code sniplets of different languages together in
one place according to the concept for solving the task,
totally ignoring needed position in procedural code files.
So later adding a feature is easy as participated code parts are still
in one place, no need to search through the diverse script files.

I worked with funnelweb (http://www.ross.net/funnelweb/) which is really
nice because of its very precise syntax
  (one can put together binary data with tangeling), simplicity of
concept, expressive error messages,  stability in performance and
scalability.

But I have to leave that behind because UTF-8 is not supported and I'm
no C programmer, so I can't help myself to adapt that tool.
(for rewriting the engine in emacs-lisp I'm unfortunately not smart enough)

So this weekend I started to explore org-babel for my purposes.
I played a little bit around with changing a .fw-Script so that it works
as an .org-Script with babel-blocks.
After hacking in the macro-expansion I was able to tangle the files
identical to former .fw-output.

Changing the org-file to add features or change some code was really fun!
Needed org-syntax for that is simple enough, possibility of inherited
tree properties to store the header arguments is great.
Performance looks good to me, although the file I played with was not
that big.

So I look forward to work on with org-babel and especially have interest
to benefit from org-babel-detangle.
At the moment that is not working for me because of it's lack of
supporting nested src_blocks (using noweb syntax).

I read the posted suggestion for a kind of spidering version of
org-babel-detangle (thanks to Seth Burleigh ).
There occur some questions to me as I'm not that intimate with the
concepts behind org-babel at the moment.

* How would one handle conflicts?
   (e.g. different changes in tangled code which all reference to one
begin_src block)

* Is it possible to provide functionality like the org-mode macro
expansion mechanism?
    (How to distinguish macro-expanded values from changed code)

* Would it be possible to take over more org-mode export features into
src-blocks (calculating, calling blocks inside blocks)

And, more in general:
* When thinking of LP (preprocessing text) with org-mode
   it's hard for me to compare the pros and cons of
    exporting the org-file to ascii
    vs. tangling it to code-file.

* Is it possible, that I use the wrong approach with org-babel when I
only need text processing features
    !! Of course, using src blocks to call extern interpreter over
several code blocks
        and keeping the same session is really a great thing !!
        The document provided on the website is very impressive.
         (
http://repo.or.cz/w/Worg.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/org-contrib/babel/examples/foo.pdf
)

* Where is the right place to discover more about org-babel:
    http://orgmode.org or http://eschulte.github.com/babel-dev/  ?
    or both ?

* Where are the latest code changes offered?

Greetings,
Olaf