* Organize Your Life In Plain Text!
@ 2009-05-07 16:49 Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-05-07 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

At Carsten's request I've started to document how I use org-mode in my
daily activities.  I plan to cover everything I use org-mode for and
this document is about half finished at this time.

The current (under construction) document is available at
http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html and I have added a link to it in
Worg.

I'll continue working on this document over the next few months but I
think it has enough information in it already to be useful to other
people.

Comments and feedback are welcome.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Organize Your Life In Plain Text!
@ 2009-05-07 18:22 ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2009-05-07 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

2009/5/7 Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>:
> Hi all,
>
> At Carsten's request I've started to document how I use org-mode in my
> daily activities.  I plan to cover everything I use org-mode for and
> this document is about half finished at this time.
>
> The current (under construction) document is available at
> http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html and I have added a link to it in
> Worg.
>
> I'll continue working on this document over the next few months but I
> think it has enough information in it already to be useful to other
> people.
>
> Comments and feedback are welcome.

Wow, Bernt!  This is awesome!!! :-) I'm sure it'll be food for thought
for most of us!

So far I've only skimmed it, but want to take a more indepth look at
porting some of your ideas into my (far more limited) workflow.

My only comment so far is that the keybindings table might be better
sorted by 'Used' frequency, so it's easier to see at a glance which
keybindings you find most useful.

I finally managed to look at yasnippet myself yesterday, and found it
to be an awesome edition for any emacs user...  Naturally one of the
first things that occured to me was combining it with org-mode.  To
this end, I was wondering whether you have an org-mode snippet bundle
setup.  If so, I'd be curious to know what snippets you've defined.

Again, thanks a lot for this - it looks like you've got a really nice
practical setup, with many ideas worth stealing!!

R.

* Re: Organize Your Life In Plain Text!
@ 2009-05-07 18:44   ` Bernt Hansen
       [not found]     ` <4a035da6.0407560a.7391.ffffc270@mx.google.com>
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-05-07 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moynihan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan@gmail.com> writes:

> 2009/5/7 Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>:
> Wow, Bernt!  This is awesome!!! :-) I'm sure it'll be food for thought
> for most of us!

Thanks :)

> So far I've only skimmed it, but want to take a more indepth look at
> porting some of your ideas into my (far more limited) workflow.
>
> My only comment so far is that the keybindings table might be better
> sorted by 'Used' frequency, so it's easier to see at a glance which
> keybindings you find most useful.

Done.

> I finally managed to look at yasnippet myself yesterday, and found it
> to be an awesome edition for any emacs user...  Naturally one of the
> first things that occured to me was combining it with org-mode.  To
> this end, I was wondering whether you have an org-mode snippet bundle
> setup.  If so, I'd be curious to know what snippets you've defined.

The only snippet I'm using right now that is org-mode related is the
block snippet I stole from Eric :).  I've included it in the
Productivity Tools section
(http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#ProductivityTools) which I'll work
on in the future.

I'm still pretty new to yasnippet too but I'm not going back to working
without it :).

@ 2009-05-07 22:32       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-05-07 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Memnon Anon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

cc-ing the org-mode mailing list

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I have one question:
>
> ,----
> | Use the agenda view for STARTED tasks to find stuff in progress and
> | things to clock. I clock everything - some tasks are always in a STARTED
> | state (Like Organization, Email News and IRC, etc)
> `----
>
> Doesn't it defeat the purpose to a certain degree to keep tasks
> 'started' all the time? I intend to increase my personal logging,
> but I think I will keep some tasks like 'mail+news' without any
> todo state. Maybe an extra state -'undefined' or 'rep' or something like
> this- for this kind would be clever?
>
> What do you think?

Hi!

I used to have a special keyword ONGOING for things that I do a lot and
want to clock but never really start/end.  I had a special agenda view
for ONGOING tasks that I would pull up to easily find the thing I want
to clock.

Since then I've moved away from using the ONGOING todo keyword and just
use STARTED the same way.  If a task is clocked in it automatically
moves to a STARTED todo state and shows up on the list without having to
think about it.  Having an agenda view that shows STARTED tasks makes it
easy to pick the thing to clock - and I don't have to remember if I need
to look in the ONGOING list or the STARTED list when looking for the
task to clock in.  The STARTED list is basically 'what is current' -
stuff I worked on recently and need to continue working on.  I want to
find the thing to work on as fast as I can and actually do work on it -
not spend time hunting through my org files for the task that needs to
be clocked in.

I just find it easier to have it all in one short list.  My STARTED list
has less than 20 entries so it's pretty easy to find what I want.  The
whole point of the STARTED list is to make it easy and quick to find the
task to clock in.

I only have 2 tasks that are permanently in a STARTED state.  These are:

  - Organization
  - Email, News, and IRC

Everything else will eventually move to a DONE state and fall off the
list.

I found having two lists more confusing than just the single STARTED
list.

@ 2009-05-07 22:50     ` Jonathan Arkell
From: Jonathan Arkell @ 2009-05-07 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen, Rick Moynihan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Here are a few of my snippets:

#name : Properties Folded
#contributor : Jonathan Arkell <jonnay@jonnay.net>
# --
  :PROPERTIES:
  :VISIBILITY:folded:
  :END:

#name : Meeting
#contributor : Jonathan Arkell <jonnay@jonnay.net>
# --
**** Attendees
     - $1
**** General Notes
     - $2
**** Generated Tasks
**** Open Questions

#name : Project Page
#contributor : Jonathan Arkell <jonnay@jonnay.net>
# --
#+FILETAGS: :project:
* $1                                                 :project:$2
** Status                                              :$3:
** Milestones
** Jira#
** People
** Links
*** Files
*** Client Work
*** URLs
** Tasks
** Meetings
** Notes

#name : Source Code Block
#contributor : Jonathan Arkell <jonnay@jonnay.net>
# --
#+BEGIN_SRC $1$>
$0$>
#+END_SRC$>

All my other templates are very specific to my job/role.

> Wow, Bernt!  This is awesome!!! :-) I'm sure it'll be food for thought
> for most of us!

Thanks :)

> So far I've only skimmed it, but want to take a more indepth look at
> porting some of your ideas into my (far more limited) workflow.
>
> My only comment so far is that the keybindings table might be better
> sorted by 'Used' frequency, so it's easier to see at a glance which
> keybindings you find most useful.

Done.

> I finally managed to look at yasnippet myself yesterday, and found it
> to be an awesome edition for any emacs user...  Naturally one of the
> first things that occured to me was combining it with org-mode.  To
> this end, I was wondering whether you have an org-mode snippet bundle
> setup.  If so, I'd be curious to know what snippets you've defined.

The only snippet I'm using right now that is org-mode related is the
block snippet I stole from Eric :).  I've included it in the
Productivity Tools section
(http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#ProductivityTools) which I'll work
on in the future.

I'm still pretty new to yasnippet too but I'm not going back to working
without it :).

-Bernt

The information contained in this message is confidential. It is intended to be read only by the individual or entity named above or their designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any distribution of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete or destroy any copy of this message.

* Re: Organize Your Life In Plain Text!
@ 2009-05-08  1:35       ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2009-05-08  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Arkell; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Cool... I've created a project on github for org-mode specific yasnippets:

http://github.com/RickMoynihan/yasnippet-org-mode/tree/master

I've implemented most of the easy org-mode #+ blocks, though it is by
no means complete.  I also suspect there might be more we can do to
leverage yasnippet...  For example It'd be *really* nice to offer
completion on command line arguments to ditta... Ideally this could be
done through some embedded elisp that ran a ditta command to dump its
command line arguments into the snippet... I don't know how much of
this is possible.

I'd like to focus here on snippets which make sense for everyone, so
snippets for personal project outlines etc... are probably best left
out in favour of standard org-mode constructs.

I've not had chance to test these snippets out yet, so I don't know if
they're bound to logical names.  If you or the org-mode community come
up with any more snippets or suggestions, I'll be happy to merge them
into this project.

Anyone wishing to add snippets can either fork the project on github
and issue a pull request, or simply email the snippet to me with the
suggested trigger text.

R.

--
Rick Moynihan
rick.moynihan@gmail.com

* Re: Organize Your Life In Plain Text!
@ 2009-05-08  1:46         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-05-08  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moynihan; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Good idea, I will certainly follow this repository.

I have a snippet suggestion.

File completion for [[file:... links.  I don't know if it's possible,
but I would find it very helpful

Cheers -- Eric

@ 2009-05-08  2:10         ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2009-05-08  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hey list,

Okay, here is another question for all the clocking junkies out there ;).

Is there a way to clock two items at the same time?
This may sound stupid, 'who can do two things at the same time?'
but please let me explain.

Whoever clocks items, wants to keep control of what he/she does.

If e.g. someone loves to listen to audio books and does this in several
different contexts: Driving a car, at home etc. One could solve this by tags,
e.g

* Listening to audiobook
** ONGOING Listening to audiobook       :car:
** ONGOING Listening to audiobook       :home:

and clock whatever may be right in each case.

But, I guess, it would be easier/more flexible to clock items and locations
seperately. I can have several items STARTED and SCHEDULED at the same
time, but can I clock them at the same time?

I am quite new to this 'clock your life' idea, so sorry if I am over
enthusiastic ;).

* Re: Organize Your Life In Plain Text!
@ 2009-05-08  3:04           ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-05-08  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Memnon Anon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@gmail.com> writes:

> Okay, here is another question for all the clocking junkies out there ;).
>
> Is there a way to clock two items at the same time?
> This may sound stupid, 'who can do two things at the same time?'
> but please let me explain.
>
> Whoever clocks items, wants to keep control of what he/she does.
>
> If e.g. someone loves to listen to audio books and does this in several
> different contexts: Driving a car, at home etc. One could solve this by tags,
> e.g
>
> * Listening to audiobook
> ** ONGOING Listening to audiobook       :car:
> ** ONGOING Listening to audiobook       :home:
>
> and clock whatever may be right in each case.
>
> But, I guess, it would be easier/more flexible to clock items and locations
> seperately. I can have several items STARTED and SCHEDULED at the same
> time, but can I clock them at the same time?
>
> I am quite new to this 'clock your life' idea, so sorry if I am over
> enthusiastic ;).

Only one task can be clocked at a time using the standard org-mode
clocking functions.  If you clock in a task any existing clocked task is
closed first.

ie. clock taskA, switch to taskB, clock in taskB (stops the clock for
taskA)

In your example above the clock times for the subtasks are totalled to
give the total time for the parent task when you do C-c C-x C-d or
generate a clock report.

HTH,

@ 2009-05-08 14:08           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-08 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On May 8, 2009, at 3:46 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:

> Good idea, I will certainly follow this repository.
>
> I have a snippet suggestion.
>
> File completion for [[file:... links.  I don't know if it's possible,
> but I would find it very helpful

What is wrong with `C-u C-c C-l' ?

Cheers

- Carsten

@ 2009-05-08 15:32             ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-05-08 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> On May 8, 2009, at 3:46 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:
>
>> Good idea, I will certainly follow this repository.
>>
>> I have a snippet suggestion.
>>
>> File completion for [[file:... links.  I don't know if it's possible,
>> but I would find it very helpful
>
> What is wrong with `C-u C-c C-l' ?

Ah! I wasn't aware of that keybinding.  Thanks for the pointer.

Overuse of yasnippets has me hitting the tab key whenever I want any
kind of completion.  I just added the following to my org config which
should help.

(defun org-insert-link-maybe ()
  "insert a file link depending on the context"
  (interactive)
  (let ((case-fold-search t))
    (if (save-excursion (re-search-backward "[[:space:]]") (forward-char 1) (looking-at "\\[?\\[?file:"))
        (progn (replace-match "") (org-insert-link '(4)) t)
      nil)))

(add-hook 'org-tab-first-hook 'org-insert-link-maybe)

Thanks -- Eric

@ 2009-05-08 16:19               ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-08 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On May 8, 2009, at 5:32 PM, Eric Schulte wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On May 8, 2009, at 3:46 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:
>>
>>> Good idea, I will certainly follow this repository.
>>>
>>> I have a snippet suggestion.
>>>
>>> File completion for [[file:... links.  I don't know if it's
>>> possible,
>>> but I would find it very helpful
>>
>> What is wrong with `C-u C-c C-l' ?
>>

> Ah! I wasn't aware of that keybinding.  Thanks for the pointer.
>
> Overuse of yasnippets has me hitting the tab key whenever I want any
> kind of completion.  I just added the following to my org config which
> should help.

> (defun org-insert-link-maybe ()
>  "insert a file link depending on the context"
>  (interactive)
>  (let ((case-fold-search t))
>    (if (save-excursion (re-search-backward "[[:space:]]") (forward-
> char 1) (looking-at "\\[?\\[?file:"))
>        (progn (replace-match "") (org-insert-link '(4)) t)
>      nil)))
>
> (add-hook 'org-tab-first-hook 'org-insert-link-maybe)

Neat!

- Carsten

@ 2009-05-13  0:22 ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2009-05-13  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

2009/5/7 Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>:
> Hi all,
>
> At Carsten's request I've started to document how I use org-mode in my
> daily activities.  I plan to cover everything I use org-mode for and
> this document is about half finished at this time.
>
> The current (under construction) document is available at
> http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html and I have added a link to it in
> Worg.
>
> I'll continue working on this document over the next few months but I
> think it has enough information in it already to be useful to other
> people.
>
> Comments and feedback are welcome.

Hi Bernt,

Another comment (and this goes for many documents published in
org-mode) is that it would be nice if the HTML file could link to an
online copy of the raw org file.

This would provide those new to org-mode a chance to see how org
syntax maps into a published document.

R.

* Re: Organize Your Life In Plain Text!
@ 2009-05-13  1:39   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-05-13  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moynihan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan@gmail.com> writes:

> Another comment (and this goes for many documents published in
> org-mode) is that it would be nice if the HTML file could link to an
> online copy of the raw org file.
>
> This would provide those new to org-mode a chance to see how org
> syntax maps into a published document.

I agree.  But I've so far been unable to automagically publish the raw
.org file when I publish the project and I normally forget to do it
manually after the fact.

I pushed the current version to http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.org

I'll publish it again when the rest of the doc is done (unless I can
figure out how to have org-publish convert the source to HTML and push a
both the raw copy and the published files to the webserver.)

Thanks!

@ 2009-05-13  1:50   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-05-13  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moynihan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan@gmail.com> writes:

> Another comment (and this goes for many documents published in
> org-mode) is that it would be nice if the HTML file could link to an
> online copy of the raw org file.

More thoughts along this line...

The only downside of doing this automatically is if you
include :noexport: tags or COMMENT on headlines to prevent export (say
you have information you don't want out on the net.

I wouldn't want the source file automatically published always.  I'm
like to be able to control that from some org-publish configuration.

-Bernt

* Re: Re: Organize Your Life In Plain Text!
@ 2009-05-13  3:58     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-13  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 13, 2009, at 3:50 AM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Another comment (and this goes for many documents published in
>> org-mode) is that it would be nice if the HTML file could link to an
>> online copy of the raw org file.
>
> More thoughts along this line...
>
> The only downside of doing this automatically is if you
> include :noexport: tags or COMMENT on headlines to prevent export (say
> you have information you don't want out on the net.
>
> I wouldn't want the source file automatically published always.  I'm
> like to be able to control that from some org-publish configuration.

I guess it would be relatively easy to write a function
`org-publish-org-to-org' which would remove these sensitive
parts and could be used as as :publishing-function in a setup

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Organize Your Life In Plain Text!
@ 2009-05-13  4:02       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-05-13  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On May 13, 2009, at 3:50 AM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>
>> Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Another comment (and this goes for many documents published in
>>> org-mode) is that it would be nice if the HTML file could link to an
>>> online copy of the raw org file.
>>
>> More thoughts along this line...
>>
>> The only downside of doing this automatically is if you
>> include :noexport: tags or COMMENT on headlines to prevent export (say
>> you have information you don't want out on the net.
>>
>> I wouldn't want the source file automatically published always.  I'm
>> like to be able to control that from some org-publish configuration.
>
> I guess it would be relatively easy to write a function
> `org-publish-org-to-org' which would remove these sensitive
> parts and could be used as as :publishing-function in a setup

That works for me :)  I prefer to post my source with the published
files for most things -- my old publishing method (before switching to
org-mode) used to do that (without the noexport options -- since it had
no concept of not publishing everything).

@ 2009-05-13 10:04         ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-05-13 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I like the idea of publishing the sources.

Shouldn't we do something like this on worg too?

It's amazing to see the too files side by side - both perfectly
readable - visible simplicity and a great source of examples for
(potentially new) users.

BTW: it would be real fun to tranform links for this purpose, so that
visitors could browse the published org sources just like in emacs.

We could as well this here

[[http://repo.or.cz/w/Worg.git?a=blob;f=org-tutorials/org-publish-html-tutorial.org][Source
of this file]]

Maybe in the tutorial index (e.g.)?

* Publishing org to html
#+ATTR_HTML: title="See sources of that file (git repo on repo.or.cz)"
[[http://repo.or.cz/w/Worg.git?a=blob;f=org-tutorials/org-publish-html-tutorial.org][(src)]]

   Sebastian

@ 2009-05-13 10:15           ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2009-05-13 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

2009/5/13 Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de>:

> I like the idea of publishing the sources.
>
> Shouldn't we do something like this on worg too?
>
> It's amazing to see the too files side by side - both perfectly
> readable - visible simplicity and a great source of examples for
> (potentially new) users.
>
> BTW: it would be real fun to tranform links for this purpose, so that
> visitors could browse the published org sources just like in emacs.

Agreed... The only reason I didn't mention worg, is because it's
already available to me via the git-repo, but lowering the barriers to
entry and having it more easily web accessible will doubtless help
bring more people up to speed with org-mode.

One other thing that might be nice is to supply two copies of the
org-mode files...  The first as htmlized output of the org file with
emacs syntax highlighting, and the second RAW plain text for easy
download/copy/pasting etc...

I recently discovered Phil Hagelberg's scpaste.el, which does just
this; and scp's the files to a web-accessible host.  I made some minor
mods so it would also export the RAW file.  Example output & my
modified scpaste.el is available here:

http://sourcesmouth.co.uk/paste/

R.

* Re: Re: Organize Your Life In Plain Text!
@ 2009-05-14 11:36           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-14 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

On May 13, 2009, at 12:04 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> I like the idea of publishing the sources.

I have just pushed a change which implements org-publish-org-to-org,
so you should be able to use this in a publishing setup.  It is also
possible to get an htmlized version of the file.  The way to use
this would be to specify two publishing functions, and to specify
the kinds of source file representations with parameters
in org-publish-alist, like this:

   :publishing-function (org-publish-org-to-html org-publish-org-to-org)
   :plain-source t
   :htmlized-source t

for a file file.org, this would give you both file.org and file.org.html
in the publishing directory.  In both files, archived trees, commented
trees and trees excluded by tags from export would have been removed.
The html version will look just like your org buffer in Emacs.

If you want to use this in batch processing, you need a CSS file that
defines the font colors and set it's location in `org-export-htmlized-
org-css-url'.  The
CSS file can be generated in an interactive Emacs session with M-x org-
export-htmlize-generate-css.

- Carsten

@ 2009-05-14 13:33             ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-05-14 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moynihan; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan@gmail.com> writes:

> 2009/5/13 Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de>:
>>
>> I like the idea of publishing the sources.
>>
>> Shouldn't we do something like this on worg too?

This is probably overkill, but one option for publishing the raw
org-mode files is blorgit http://orgmode.org/worg/blorgit.php

>> It's amazing to see the too files side by side - both perfectly
>> readable - visible simplicity and a great source of examples for
>> (potentially new) users.
>>
>> BTW: it would be real fun to tranform links for this purpose, so that
>> visitors could browse the published org sources just like in emacs.
>
> Agreed... The only reason I didn't mention worg, is because it's
> already available to me via the git-repo, but lowering the barriers to
> entry and having it more easily web accessible will doubtless help
> bring more people up to speed with org-mode.
>
> One other thing that might be nice is to supply two copies of the
> org-mode files...  The first as htmlized output of the org file with
> emacs syntax highlighting, and the second RAW plain text for easy
> download/copy/pasting etc...
>
> I recently discovered Phil Hagelberg's scpaste.el, which does just
> this; and scp's the files to a web-accessible host.  I made some minor
> mods so it would also export the RAW file.  Example output & my
> modified scpaste.el is available here:
>
> http://sourcesmouth.co.uk/paste/

Very cool, thanks for the pointer

Cheers -- Eric

@ 2009-05-14 19:11             ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-05-14 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On May 13, 2009, at 12:04 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:
>
>     I like the idea of publishing the sources.
>
> I have just pushed a change which implements org-publish-org-to-org,
> so you should be able to use this in a publishing setup.  It is also
> possible to get an htmlized version of the file.  The way to use
> this would be to specify two publishing functions, and to specify
> the kinds of source file representations with parameters
> in org-publish-alist, like this:
>
>   :publishing-function (org-publish-org-to-html org-publish-org-to-org)
>   :plain-source t
>   :htmlized-source t

That works great!  Thanks!!

@ 2009-05-14 19:30               ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-05-14 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
> Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> 2009/5/13 Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de>:
>>>
>>> I like the idea of publishing the sources.
>>>
>>> Shouldn't we do something like this on worg too?
>>>

> This is probably overkill, but one option for publishing the raw
> org-mode files is blorgit http://orgmode.org/worg/blorgit.php

How did I overlook blorgit??

This looks _really_ cool!

It's now org-remeberd und `blorgit - cool stuff from Eric Schulte' :-D

  Sebastian

* Re: Re: Organize Your Life In Plain Text!
@ 2009-05-14 19:55                 ` Keith Lancaster
From: Keith Lancaster @ 2009-05-14 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Whoa! Blorgit is EXACTLY what I was looking for - was planning on
trying to integrate org-mode somehow with Webby (another ruby-based
site generator), but this blorgit looks great.

Keith

On May 14, 2009, at 2:30 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>> Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan@gmail.com> writes:

>> This is probably overkill, but one option for publishing the raw
>> org-mode files is blorgit http://orgmode.org/worg/blorgit.php
>

> How did I overlook blorgit??
>
> This looks _really_ cool!
>
> It's now org-remeberd und `blorgit - cool stuff from Eric Schulte' :-D
>

>  Sebastian

Keith Lancaster
klancaster1957@mac.com

* Re: Re: Organize Your Life In Plain Text!
@ 2009-05-14 22:16                   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-05-14 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Lancaster; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I hope blorgit works out for you.  I've been using it for a couple of
months both at work and at home, and it's starting to get fairly
stable/reliable.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you run into any issues.

Cheers -- Eric

@ 2009-05-15  6:54                     ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2009-05-15  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

There is one small omission from the installation instuctions. On
Debian/Ubuntu you need to:

apt-get install sufary

Ian.

@ 2009-05-15 22:18                       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-05-15 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lists; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the feedback.

Do you happen to know which functionality depends on sufary, or where in
the install process it was required?  I am currently running a blorgit
instance on two debian machines (one of which is ubuntu) and I don't
have the sufary package installed on either.

Thanks -- Eric

@ 2009-05-16  6:56                         ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2009-05-16  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

It was in the rake themes:default step. I got an error message about a
missing command, which I think was "sass". I'll uninstall surfar and try
to get an accurate error message later today.

Meanwhile  have another problem:) When I try to view a page I can see
the basic navigation structure, but no style info or content. I notice
that there is no stylesheet.css in ~/blogs and I tried copying one from
the blorgit directory there. I do have an index.org, but it isn't being
processed and included in the web page index. I am guessing that there
is some problem with my Ruby installation. I have checked and I am
definitely using V1.8.

Ian.

@ 2009-05-17 21:49                           ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-05-17 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lists; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> It was in the rake themes:default step. I got an error message about a
> missing command, which I think was "sass". I'll uninstall surfar and
> try to get an accurate error message later today.

Hi Ian,

The issue here is that ruby couldn't find the sass executable on your
machine.  I just changed the theme deployment code so that it no longer
relies on an external sass executable.  Please pull the latest code from
github, run 'git submodules update' to update the blorgit themes code
and give 'rake themes:default' another try.

> Meanwhile  have another problem:) When I try to view a page I can see
> the basic navigation structure, but no style info or content. I notice
> that there is no stylesheet.css in ~/blogs and I tried copying one
> from the blorgit directory there. I do have an index.org, but it isn't
> being processed and included in the web page index. I am guessing that
> there is some problem with my Ruby installation. I have checked and I
> am definitely using V1.8.

This problem is more complicated.  Blorgit relies on Emacs to actually
export org-mode files to html.  To do this it passes the org-mode files
to an Emacs server using the 'emacsclient' command.  To allow your Emacs
instance to act as a server for blorgit you need to load the
org-interaction.el file located in the backend/acts_as_org/elisp/
directory.  I have added the following to my .emacs so that this happens
automatically.

;; serve up web pages for blorgit
(load "~/src/blorgit/backend/acts_as_org/elisp/org-interaction.el")

For running on a remote server see the "Deploying to a Remote Server"
section of the blorgit page on
worg. http://orgmode.org/worg/blorgit.php#sec-3.5

This is certainly the most complicated part of running blorgit, and if
you have any suggestions for how to improve the page on worg please let
me know (of feel free to edit the page yourself, as that's what worg is
for).

I hope this helps, and please let me know if there are any more issues.
Hopefully your work getting this running will clear the way for future
blorgit users. :)

Thanks -- Eric

@ 2009-05-18  6:06                             ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2009-05-18  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the help.

>> It was in the rake themes:default step. I got an error message about a
>> missing command, which I think was "sass". I'll uninstall surfar and
>> try to get an accurate error message later today.
>>

> Hi Ian,
>
> The issue here is that ruby couldn't find the sass executable on your
> machine.  I just changed the theme deployment code so that it no longer
> relies on an external sass executable.  Please pull the latest code from
> github, run 'git submodules update' to update the blorgit themes code
> and give 'rake themes:default' another try.

The latest update has fixed this problem.

>> Meanwhile  have another problem:) When I try to view a page I can see
>> the basic navigation structure, but no style info or content. I notice
>> that there is no stylesheet.css in ~/blogs and I tried copying one
>> from the blorgit directory there. I do have an index.org, but it isn't
>> being processed and included in the web page index. I am guessing that
>> there is some problem with my Ruby installation. I have checked and I
>> am definitely using V1.8.
>>

> This problem is more complicated.  Blorgit relies on Emacs to actually
> export org-mode files to html.  To do this it passes the org-mode files
> to an Emacs server using the 'emacsclient' command.  To allow your Emacs
> instance to act as a server for blorgit you need to load the
> org-interaction.el file located in the backend/acts_as_org/elisp/
> directory.  I have added the following to my .emacs so that this happens
> automatically.
>
> ;; serve up web pages for blorgit
> (load "~/src/blorgit/backend/acts_as_org/elisp/org-interaction.el")

I still have the same problem. I think the following log gives a clue:

ian@scamper:~/devel/blorgit$ ruby blorgit.rb
== Sinatra/0.9.1.1 has taken the stage on 4567 for development with
backup from WEBrick
[2009-05-18 07:02:36] INFO  WEBrick 1.3.1
[2009-05-18 07:02:36] INFO  ruby 1.8.7 (2008-08-11) [i486-linux]
[2009-05-18 07:02:36] INFO  WEBrick::HTTPServer#start: pid=14054 port=4567
emacsclient: invalid option -- 'v'
Try `emacsclient --help' for more information
127.0.0.1 - - [18/May/2009 07:02:47] "GET /index HTTP/1.1" 200 3504 0.0816
localhost - - [18/May/2009:07:02:47 BST] "GET /index HTTP/1.1" 200 3504
http://localhost:4567/index -> /index
127.0.0.1 - - [18/May/2009 07:02:47] "GET /stylesheet.css HTTP/1.1" 200
530 0.0009
localhost - - [18/May/2009:07:02:47 BST] "GET /stylesheet.css HTTP/1.1"
200 530
http://localhost:4567/index -> /stylesheet.css

Seems my emacsclient doesn't like one of the options. I am using:

GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.1)
  of 2008-09-05 on vernadsky, modified by Ubuntu

Ian.

* Re: Re: Organize Your Life In Plain Text!
@ 2009-05-18 13:17                               ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-05-18 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lists; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> writes:

[...]

>>> Meanwhile  have another problem:) When I try to view a page I can see
>>> the basic navigation structure, but no style info or content. I notice
>>> that there is no stylesheet.css in ~/blogs and I tried copying one
>>> from the blorgit directory there. I do have an index.org, but it isn't
>>> being processed and included in the web page index. I am guessing that
>>> there is some problem with my Ruby installation. I have checked and I
>>> am definitely using V1.8.
>>>

>> This problem is more complicated.  Blorgit relies on Emacs to actually
>> export org-mode files to html.  To do this it passes the org-mode files
>> to an Emacs server using the 'emacsclient' command.  To allow your Emacs
>> instance to act as a server for blorgit you need to load the
>> org-interaction.el file located in the backend/acts_as_org/elisp/
>> directory.  I have added the following to my .emacs so that this happens
>> automatically.
>>
>> ;; serve up web pages for blorgit
>> (load "~/src/blorgit/backend/acts_as_org/elisp/org-interaction.el")
>
> I still have the same problem. I think the following log gives a clue:
>
> ian@scamper:~/devel/blorgit$ ruby blorgit.rb
> == Sinatra/0.9.1.1 has taken the stage on 4567 for development with
> backup from WEBrick
> [2009-05-18 07:02:36] INFO  WEBrick 1.3.1
> [2009-05-18 07:02:36] INFO  ruby 1.8.7 (2008-08-11) [i486-linux]
> [2009-05-18 07:02:36] INFO  WEBrick::HTTPServer#start: pid=14054 port=4567
> emacsclient: invalid option -- 'v'
> Try `emacsclient --help' for more information
> 127.0.0.1 - - [18/May/2009 07:02:47] "GET /index HTTP/1.1" 200 3504 0.0816
> localhost - - [18/May/2009:07:02:47 BST] "GET /index HTTP/1.1" 200 3504
> http://localhost:4567/index -> /index
> 127.0.0.1 - - [18/May/2009 07:02:47] "GET /stylesheet.css HTTP/1.1"
> 200 530 0.0009
> localhost - - [18/May/2009:07:02:47 BST] "GET /stylesheet.css
> HTTP/1.1" 200 530
> http://localhost:4567/index -> /stylesheet.css
>
> Seems my emacsclient doesn't like one of the options. I am using:
>
> GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.1)
>  of 2008-09-05 on vernadsky, modified by Ubuntu

Hi Ian,

I've changed the options passed to emacsclient, so they should be more
uniform.  Please try the latest (git pull && git submodule update) and
see if that fixes the issue.  If emacsclient options problems persist,
you could try changing the options in line 21 of

 backend/acts_as_org/lib/acts_as_org.rb

If need be I could make this information (the emacsclient command and
options) configurable.

Thanks -- Eric

@ 2009-05-19  9:19                                 ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2009-05-19  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>>> This problem is more complicated.  Blorgit relies on Emacs to actually
>>> export org-mode files to html.  To do this it passes the org-mode files
>>> to an Emacs server using the 'emacsclient' command.  To allow your Emacs
>>> instance to act as a server for blorgit you need to load the
>>> org-interaction.el file located in the backend/acts_as_org/elisp/
>>> directory.  I have added the following to my .emacs so that this happens
>>> automatically.
>>>
>>> ;; serve up web pages for blorgit
>>> (load "~/src/blorgit/backend/acts_as_org/elisp/org-interaction.el")
>> I still have the same problem. I think the following log gives a clue:
>>
>> ian@scamper:~/devel/blorgit$ ruby blorgit.rb
>> == Sinatra/0.9.1.1 has taken the stage on 4567 for development with
>> backup from WEBrick
>> [2009-05-18 07:02:36] INFO  WEBrick 1.3.1
>> [2009-05-18 07:02:36] INFO  ruby 1.8.7 (2008-08-11) [i486-linux]
>> [2009-05-18 07:02:36] INFO  WEBrick::HTTPServer#start: pid=14054 port=4567
>> emacsclient: invalid option -- 'v'
>> Try `emacsclient --help' for more information
>> 127.0.0.1 - - [18/May/2009 07:02:47] "GET /index HTTP/1.1" 200 3504 0.0816
>> localhost - - [18/May/2009:07:02:47 BST] "GET /index HTTP/1.1" 200 3504
>> http://localhost:4567/index -> /index
>> 127.0.0.1 - - [18/May/2009 07:02:47] "GET /stylesheet.css HTTP/1.1"
>> 200 530 0.0009
>> localhost - - [18/May/2009:07:02:47 BST] "GET /stylesheet.css
>> HTTP/1.1" 200 530
>> http://localhost:4567/index -> /stylesheet.css
>>
>> Seems my emacsclient doesn't like one of the options. I am using:
>>
>> GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.1)
>>  of 2008-09-05 on vernadsky, modified by Ubuntu
>>
> I've changed the options passed to emacsclient, so they should be more
> uniform.  Please try the latest (git pull && git submodule update) and
> see if that fixes the issue.  If emacsclient options problems persist,
> you could try changing the options in line 21 of
>
>  backend/acts_as_org/lib/acts_as_org.rb
>
> If need be I could make this information (the emacsclient command and
> options) configurable.

Eric,

Thanks that has fixed my problem and I can start using Blorgit now. I am
away next week, but when I get back I'll review the documentation on Worg.

Best wishes,

Ian.