* auto-complete mode with org-mode
@ 2011-02-03 12:59 phaebz
From: phaebz @ 2011-02-03 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am using org-mode v. 7.3 and auto-complete v. 1.2

I added org-mode to "ac-modes" as described in the documentation. When typing in an org-mode buffer, I correctly get the popup-menu from auto-complete mode. If I then press TAB to complete the word, nothing happens - since TAB is bound to org-cycle.

I am not really familliar with ac-mode, but I guess it could be using a hook when populating the popup menu, so that I could bind the tab key in this hook ac-specific and bind it then again to org-cycle when after-completion-hook is run, in case there is one... I just wanted to ask here if others have a similar setup/issue and how it is solved elegantly, i.e. in org-mode style.

Thank you

Michael Bach

* Re: auto-complete mode with org-mode
@ 2011-02-03 15:38 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-02-03 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phaebz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

phaebz <phaebz@googlemail.com> writes:

> I am using org-mode v. 7.3 and auto-complete v. 1.2
>
> I added org-mode to "ac-modes" as described in the documentation. When
> typing in an org-mode buffer, I correctly get the popup-menu from
> auto-complete mode. If I then press TAB to complete the word, nothing
> happens - since TAB is bound to org-cycle.
>
> I am not really familliar with ac-mode, but I guess it could be using
> a hook when populating the popup menu, so that I could bind the tab
> key in this hook ac-specific and bind it then again to org-cycle when
> after-completion-hook is run, in case there is one... I just wanted to
> ask here if others have a similar setup/issue and how it is solved
> elegantly, i.e. in org-mode style.
>
> Thank you
>
> Michael Bach

org mode somehow (I have no idea how or why) manages to distinguish
between TAB and C-i and this distinction is inherited by minor modes
operating within an org mode buffer.  For auto-complete, the fix is
easy:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(require 'auto-complete)
(require 'auto-complete-config)
(ac-config-default)
;; (define-key ac-complete-mode-map "\t" 'ac-expand)
(define-key ac-complete-mode-map [tab] 'ac-expand)     ; <<--- add this line
;; (define-key ac-complete-mode-map "\r" 'ac-complete)
#+end_src

I've included two commented out lines: they are the defaults set by
auto-complete.  I found, before adding the annotated line, that C-i
worked as expected within an auto-complete pop-up but the tab key
didn't.  With this key binding, it does.

I do find, however, that although the \r (return key) works (accepts the
completion proposed by auto-complete), *sometimes* org-mode also
interprets it so that two things happen when I hit the key.  I've not
yet figured out when it does this in any reproducible manner
unfortunately.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.304.g71203.dirty)

* Re: auto-complete mode with org-mode
@ 2011-02-06 13:04   ` phaebz
From: phaebz @ 2011-02-06 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 02/03/2011 04:38 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> phaebz <phaebz@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> I am using org-mode v. 7.3 and auto-complete v. 1.2
>>
>> I added org-mode to "ac-modes" as described in the documentation. When
>> typing in an org-mode buffer, I correctly get the popup-menu from
>> auto-complete mode. If I then press TAB to complete the word, nothing
>> happens - since TAB is bound to org-cycle.
>>
>> I am not really familliar with ac-mode, but I guess it could be using
>> a hook when populating the popup menu, so that I could bind the tab
>> key in this hook ac-specific and bind it then again to org-cycle when
>> after-completion-hook is run, in case there is one... I just wanted to
>> ask here if others have a similar setup/issue and how it is solved
>> elegantly, i.e. in org-mode style.
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Michael Bach
> org mode somehow (I have no idea how or why) manages to distinguish
> between TAB and C-i and this distinction is inherited by minor modes
> operating within an org mode buffer.  For auto-complete, the fix is
> easy:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (require 'auto-complete)
> (require 'auto-complete-config)
> (ac-config-default)
> ;; (define-key ac-complete-mode-map "\t" 'ac-expand)
> (define-key ac-complete-mode-map [tab] 'ac-expand)     ; <<--- add this line
> ;; (define-key ac-complete-mode-map "\r" 'ac-complete)
> #+end_src
>
> I've included two commented out lines: they are the defaults set by
> auto-complete.  I found, before adding the annotated line, that C-i
> worked as expected within an auto-complete pop-up but the tab key
> didn't.  With this key binding, it does.
>
> I do find, however, that although the \r (return key) works (accepts the
> completion proposed by auto-complete), *sometimes* org-mode also
> interprets it so that two things happen when I hit the key.  I've not
> yet figured out when it does this in any reproducible manner
> unfortunately.

Thank you for the information!

remapped the ac-expand now. There is just one more annoyance: When the completions popup-menu gets displayed, for every line that has an org-style *heading, the completions line drawn over it starts just with the first letter and then an ellipsis "..."

I try to present an org snippet for an example:

#+BEGIN_org-sample
* first heading
--- popup-menu starts here ---
cobra
c...
c...
c...
c...
computer
connection
--- popup menu ends here ---
co<point>

some more text
#+END_org-sample

All lines in the popup menu that start with c..., would be real completion candidates, which get folded away because of underlying folded org-headings.

Any ideas on this?

@ 2011-02-06 14:00     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-02-06 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phaebz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

phaebz <phaebz@googlemail.com> writes:

[...]

> remapped the ac-expand now. There is just one more annoyance: When the
> completions popup-menu gets displayed, for every line that has an
> org-style *heading, the completions line drawn over it starts just
> with the first letter and then an ellipsis "..."
>
> I try to present an org snippet for an example:
>
> #+BEGIN_org-sample
> * first heading
> --- popup-menu starts here ---
> cobra
> c...
> c...
> c...
> c...
> computer
> connection
> --- popup menu ends here ---
> co<point>
>
> some more text
> #+END_org-sample
>
> All lines in the popup menu that start with c..., would be real
> completion candidates, which get folded away because of underlying
> folded org-headings.
>
> Any ideas on this?
>
> Michael Bach

I have the same problem.  I am not sure how the ellipsis are "drawn" in
the buffer but maybe the issue has to do with overlays?  grasping at
straws here... maybe somebody else can help.  it is a slight annoyance
and only happens in org buffers, and only when there are collapsed
headings in the vicinity of where you are typing.

--

@ 2011-02-10 10:13       ` phaebz
From: phaebz @ 2011-02-10 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 02/06/2011 04:00 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> phaebz <phaebz@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> remapped the ac-expand now. There is just one more annoyance: When the
>> completions popup-menu gets displayed, for every line that has an
>> org-style *heading, the completions line drawn over it starts just
>> with the first letter and then an ellipsis "..."
>>
>> I try to present an org snippet for an example:
>>
>> #+BEGIN_org-sample
>> * first heading
>> --- popup-menu starts here ---
>> cobra
>> c...
>> c...
>> c...
>> c...
>> computer
>> connection
>> --- popup menu ends here ---
>> co<point>
>>
>> some more text
>> #+END_org-sample
>>
>> All lines in the popup menu that start with c..., would be real
>> completion candidates, which get folded away because of underlying
>> folded org-headings.
>>
>> Any ideas on this?
>>
>> Michael Bach
> I have the same problem.  I am not sure how the ellipsis are "drawn" in
> the buffer but maybe the issue has to do with overlays?  grasping at
> straws here... maybe somebody else can help.  it is a slight annoyance
> and only happens in org buffers, and only when there are collapsed
> headings in the vicinity of where you are typing.

Hm. Well thanks for thinking about it anyway. It is really just a slight annoyance, but as the number of org-buffers increases - they seem to fit more and more purposes the more I use org, esp. for quick write-ups where this issue annoys me the most - this annoyance increases also ;)

But then it is just so nice to use org anyways, I gladly accept this sort of behaviour.