* Make text below heading not part of the heading
@ 2011-01-26 17:16 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-01-26 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi list,

This might be a stupid question, but I still could not find a proper
solution for the following issue:

Let's say I have the following text in an org buffer:

* A folded heading with some text beneath...

And that I want to keep the document going by typing below this
heading. However, the text *should not* belong to the heading in
question. It is "headless".

The issue is that org always tries to "eat" any text below a heading.
If I fold it and then type the text beneath, it seems to work, until I
unfold,fold again (or reload the file) just to see the text as part of
that item again.

is there a way to have text below an org heading not be part of the
heading itself, in org terms ?

Thanks,

Marcelo.

* Re: Make text below heading not part of the heading
@ 2011-01-26 20:33 ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-01-26 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi,

I think you need to give the final text a dummy heading of its own. A
further partial solution would be to set the VISIBILITY property of
the dummy heading to `content' or `all', so the text would always be
visible on startup.

Yours,
Christian

@ 2011-01-26 20:55   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-01-26 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail; +Cc: Org Mode

Thanks Christian,

Would the current behavior be considered a bug or a feature?

Marcelo.

@ 2011-01-26 21:05     ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2011-01-26 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode, mail

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
<celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would the current behavior be considered a bug or a feature?

I consider it a feature. I don't know what your use case is (why you
want to do this), but if you want to callout particular information,
as a header, without messing with folding, I suggest trying
org-inlinetask-insert-task. You can delete the "TODO" keyword if it
pops up.

You could also use list items instead of headers if you want to
visually separate text from the body, like a note to self.

--
Jeffrey Horn
http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: Make text below heading not part of the heading
@ 2011-01-27  8:46       ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-01-27  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

For my money, it's neither bug nor feature, but a (minor) restriction
that follows from the (hugely enabling) feature of simple-to-use
outline folding. An exception would be an added feature. For my part,
I've not yet had a use case where inserting an extra heading was not a
satisfactory solution.

Yours,
Christian

@ 2011-01-27 10:14         ` Leo Alekseyev
From: Leo Alekseyev @ 2011-01-27 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christian Moe <mail <at> christianmoe.com> writes:

> For my money, it's neither bug nor feature, but a (minor) restriction
> that follows from the (hugely enabling) feature of simple-to-use
> outline folding. An exception would be an added feature. For my part,
> I've not yet had a use case where inserting an extra heading was not a
> satisfactory solution.

Christian is right that it's just a design limitation, but he makes it sound
like the restriction follows from having simple-to-use folding, or that because
simple folding is so useful by itself, we can overlook minor inconveniences like
lack of fine-grained control over folding.

I disagree.  I would argue that _because_ folding and outlining is so central to
org mode's usefulness, it would be good to introduce better control over
folding.  I, for one, would like to see a feature like Marcelo suggests.
Implementing it the way he describes would probably be somewhat non-trivial,
because it does interfere with the fundamental model of an org document.
However, there are very simple ways to achieve the desired effect.  For
instance, a special mark-up of a heading (e.g. * ~~ heading) could be made
equivalent to setting the visibility:true property.  I've played with the
relevant code in org.el, and it wouldn't be hard to implement.

Another example where I would very much like to see more control over folding
are the #+begin_src/#+end_src, #+begin_example/#+end_example, etc. blocks.  In
particular, I'd like an option to see #+begin... blocks in the outline view as
I'm cycling through visibility with shift-tab.  In a lengthy org-babel document,
such an ability would be invaluable.

In short, for complicated org documents with many outline levels, visiblity
requirements, :DETAILS: drawers and #+begin/#+end blocks, the current level of
control over folding is not entirely satisfactory. It doesn't look hard to fix,
but unfortunately it seems that everyone is content with the status quo...

--Leo

> On 1/26/11 10:05 PM, Jeff Horn wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
> > <celoserpa <at> gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> Would the current behavior be considered a bug or a feature?
> >
> > I consider it a feature. I don't know what your use case is (why you
> > want to do this), but if you want to callout particular information,
> > as a header, without messing with folding, I suggest trying
> > org-inlinetask-insert-task. You can delete the "TODO" keyword if it
> > pops up.
> >
> > You could also use list items instead of headers if you want to
> > visually separate text from the body, like a note to self.

* Re: Re: Make text below heading not part of the heading
@ 2011-01-27 11:13           ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2011-01-27 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Alekseyev; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 5:14 AM, Leo Alekseyev <dnquark@gmail.com> wrote:
> control over folding is not entirely satisfactory. It doesn't look hard to fix,
> but unfortunately it seems that everyone is content with the status quo...

"Be the engine of change you want to see in the world." I don't know
elisp, but I'm hardly interested in blocking new feature development.
I've contributed a small bit to Worg and to the documentation, so I
can tell you it is relatively easy to get started contributing. Why
not write a patch for folding?

    http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html

--

@ 2011-01-27 18:05 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-01-27 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> This might be a stupid question, but I still could not find a proper
> solution for the following issue:
>
> Let's say I have the following text in an org buffer:
>
> * A folded heading with some text beneath...
>
> And that I want to keep the document going by typing below this
> heading. However, the text *should not* belong to the heading in
> question. It is "headless".

Could you please explain why and in what context you want this behavior?
Are you concerned primarily about outline visibility? Or agenda search
results?

> The issue is that org always tries to "eat" any text below a heading.
> If I fold it and then type the text beneath, it seems to work, until I
> unfold,fold again (or reload the file) just to see the text as part of
> that item again.
>
> is there a way to have text below an org heading not be part of the
> heading itself, in org terms ?

If you are only concerned about visibility, you have two options:

1. You can set the VISIBILITY property of that subtree to "all" or
   "content" and then use C-u C-u TAB to restore the startup visibility
   of the document.
2. You can use an inline task to create a heading that does not fold
   (though this heading along with the text will be folded into any
   higher level heading to which it belongs).

Best,
Matt

* Re: Re: Make text below heading not part of the heading
@ 2011-02-02 11:01   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-02 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> If you are only concerned about visibility, you have two options:
>
> 1. You can set the VISIBILITY property of that subtree to "all" or
>    "content" and then use C-u C-u TAB to restore the startup visibility
>    of the document.
> 2. You can use an inline task to create a heading that does not fold
>    (though this heading along with the text will be folded into any
>    higher level heading to which it belongs).

Yes.  Using the VISIBILITY property in combination with inline tasks
should covert the needs of the OP.

Best,

--
 Bastien