* Status google calendar sync
@ 2011-01-21  8:38 Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-01-21  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Since I use my Android-based phone on a daily basis (after all it is a
mobile phone), I got tempted to use more and more the google calendar. I
know about mobileorg and all this. However, the calendar is so highly
integrated with many applications on the phone that is is often just a
click away to add a new appointment.

I know some people managed to get a kind of sync running between
org-mode and google calendar. I would really like to know how this works
out for them and maybe create a stimulus to write something (I would
play the beta-tester) on worg.

Ideally, I want to have a no-brainer. I create a new appointment in
org-mode and a keypress away it should be synced with the google
calendar. Alternatively, an automatic sync every hour or so would be nice.

On the other side, I wish I could add an appointment on my mobile phone
and it ends up automatically with the next sync as an appointment in a
special heading in the org-file (like org-remember, does). From this
point, I could move it to other locations if I feel so.

I would love to hear how far people got with an approach like describe
above.

My major concern is, as long as it is not automatized in the most
easiest possible way, I would, for one or the other reason, skip
synchronisation and by time things become diverted and messy to sync.

All the best

Totti

* Re: Status google calendar sync
@ 2011-01-29 14:53 Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-01-29 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Slightly OT perhaps, but I am contemplating getting an Android phone and
> figuring out how NOT to have my calendar on google, and would like to
> sync it with org.  (Right now I've made a 0.1-hearted attempt to export
> org to ical and put it in mac calendar.)  Are there ways to not sync
> with google on the android and sync with org?  I don't mind running my
> own calendar server.

As fare as I know Google does not allow native usage of any other calendar
service. There are a few calendar apps which allow the use of an non Google
calendar. However, I would prefer something which integrates neatly with
Android. I'm not a big fan of the idea to feed all my stuff to Google,
neither but at the moment it seems to be the best working option (not
surprisingly for using a OS developed by Google).

I checked for the API and googlecl. Lets say there is plenty space for
improvement on Googles side ;).

Maybe, we should all focus to improve mobileorg. Its just the stupid fact
that basically many functions of org-mode written in elisp would require a
reimplementation in orgmobile in java. Somehow, this sound to me a bit like
a mouse and cat game. Well, if there would be a elisp interpreter for
Android, this would change the game....

@ 2011-02-01  0:54 Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-02-01  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)