* Texi2dvi: forcing a recompile?
@ 2010-12-02 22:55 Jeff Horn
       [not found] ` <4CFAA27C.3020509@pobox.com>
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-12-02 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode ml

Just a heads up: it looks like using texi2dvi for
org-latex-to-pdf-process will not recompile a tex file in certain
cases. I have different output and source directories, and when I
publish a changed org file, texi2dvi appears to not process a tex file
when the pdf is already in the output directory.

I guess this could be an org-mode bug, since that default behavior
doesn't make sense and texi2dvi doesn't have a "force" flag. To me, it
appears that org-mode picks up the change in the org file and creates
the tex document correctly. The pdf isn't recreated unless I delete
the pdf in the output directory and then call org-publish-project
again.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: Texi2dvi: forcing a recompile?
@ 2010-12-02 22:56 ` Jeff Horn
       [not found] ` <4CFAA27C.3020509@pobox.com>
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-12-02 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode ml

BTW, the HTML file is updated fine in the output directory. Seems like
it *is* texi2dvi.

Jeff

@ 2010-12-04 20:22   ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-12-04 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mike.mclean; +Cc: Org-mode ml

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Mike McLean <mike.mclean@pobox.com> wrote:
> I solve this with a forced remove:
>
> (setq org-latex-to-pdf-process (quote ("rm %b.pdf" "texi2dvi -p -b -c -V
> %f")))

Nice! Very clever. Thanks for the tip! (CC-ing to the list, hope that's OK)

--

@ 2010-12-04 20:28     ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-12-04 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mike.mclean; +Cc: Org-mode ml

Small problem: if the file doesn't exist, rm fails with error, which
stops the process (the PDF file is not produced). This happens if I
create a new source file in my project.

@ 2010-12-04 20:46       ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2010-12-04 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Dec 04, 2010 at 03:28:30PM -0500, Jeff Horn wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Mike McLean <mike.mclean@pobox.com> wrote:
> >> I solve this with a forced remove:
> >>
> >> (setq org-latex-to-pdf-process (quote ("rm %b.pdf" "texi2dvi -p -b -c -V
> >> %f")))
> >
> > Nice! Very clever. Thanks for the tip! (CC-ing to the list, hope that's OK)
>
> Small problem: if the file doesn't exist, rm fails with error, which
> stops the process (the PDF file is not produced). This happens if I
> create a new source file in my project.

change "rm %b-pdf" to "rm -f %b.pdf", that should take care of it.

--
Dr. Joost Kremers
Georg-August-Universität

* Re: Texi2dvi: forcing a recompile?
@ 2010-12-04 21:17         ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-12-04 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for the help. I'm not really sure what's going on. A PDF file
is produced in my source directory, but not in my output directory. I
receive an error message saying the PDF file was not produced.

I didn't realize the customize menu had many different processes in
the value menu. I wanted something that would run bibtex, and I see
there is a process that runs pdflatex, bibtex, then pdflatex twice
more.

I get the expected result with that process, so I think I'll stick
with it for now.

Thanks for the help,
Jeff

@ 2010-12-04 22:50       ` Mike McLean
From: Mike McLean @ 2010-12-04 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode ml

In my case the rm does generate an error, but the process doesn't stop.