emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Re: New Screencast: Setting Up Org-mode for Windows
       [not found] <201011081706.oA8H65QA021421@hormel5.ieee.org>
@ 2010-11-08 22:07 ` Raymond Zeitler
  2010-11-08 22:34   ` Russell Adams
  2010-11-11 17:18   ` Ian Barton
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 3+ messages in thread
From: Raymond Zeitler @ 2010-11-08 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: 'Russell Adams'

 
Thanks for creating this, Russell.  It's great!

I've already set my system up per John Wiegley's tutorial.  I didn't
appreciate Org until I started to use capture, so I'm glad you introduced it
early on.  And I like how you pointed out org-capture-templates.  I'm at the
point where I'm changing some settings, so it's nice to see where things are
defined.

Also neat is the idea of notification.  But I wonder if some folks might
have VBS disabled.  For them, I'd recommend using the Net Send command.  Net
Send can also broadcast to multiple users on a domain, which may (or may
not) be a nice thing.  I can imagine an IT person using Org-mode with Net
Send to notify everyone about a server reboot.

Some other things that are new to me:
	* AddPM (never used it)
	* -f switch to run Lisp and the shortcut to Agenda
	* latest version is now 7.3
	* Timestamps & Workflow
	* C-c [
	* lots more

Invoking Customize is a nice way to establish the .emacs.  But I would've
mentioned C-x C-f ~/.e<TAB> after the second customization, though. :)

All the best!

Oh, BTW, is there a tutorial on how to set up a Worg account for Windows
users?

--
Raymond Zeitler <r.zeitler@ieee.org> 


On Nov 5, 2010, at 4:52 PM, Russell Adams wrote:

> I've just posted a new thirty minute screencast on setting up Org-mode
> in Windows to Vimeo.
>
> http://vimeo.com/16533939
>
> Included are:
>
> - Downloading and configuring Emacs for Windows
> - Downloading and installing the latest Org-mode
> - Setting up a working agenda
> - Setting up capture for the agenda
> - Windows native popup reminders from Agenda entries
> - Setting up and use of one touch timestamps
>
> Under my sig are the snippets I used in the video.
>
> Enjoy!
-snip-

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: New Screencast: Setting Up Org-mode for Windows
  2010-11-08 22:07 ` New Screencast: Setting Up Org-mode for Windows Raymond Zeitler
@ 2010-11-08 22:34   ` Russell Adams
  2010-11-11 17:18   ` Ian Barton
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 3+ messages in thread
From: Russell Adams @ 2010-11-08 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 05:07:29PM -0500, Raymond Zeitler wrote:
>
> Thanks for creating this, Russell.  It's great!

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

> I've already set my system up per John Wiegley's tutorial.  I didn't
> appreciate Org until I started to use capture, so I'm glad you introduced it
> early on.  And I like how you pointed out org-capture-templates.  I'm at the
> point where I'm changing some settings, so it's nice to see where things are
> defined.

Capture is a must. Working a project is one thing, but its how to deal
with the nonstop little things that counts.

> Also neat is the idea of notification.  But I wonder if some folks might
> have VBS disabled.  For them, I'd recommend using the Net Send command.  Net
> Send can also broadcast to multiple users on a domain, which may (or may
> not) be a nice thing.  I can imagine an IT person using Org-mode with Net
> Send to notify everyone about a server reboot.

I'm not a Windows guy, so I'm not sure. I used VBS because it appeared
that between Windows 2k, XP, and 2003 that NET SEND may have
changed. I've now had a few people suggest Growl for Mac and Windows.

> Some other things that are new to me:
> 	* AddPM (never used it)
> 	* -f switch to run Lisp and the shortcut to Agenda

Useful!

> 	* latest version is now 7.3
> 	* Timestamps & Workflow

I love the one touch timestamps, it's been central to all of my work.

> 	* C-c [
> 	* lots more
>
> Invoking Customize is a nice way to establish the .emacs.  But I would've
> mentioned C-x C-f ~/.e<TAB> after the second customization, though. :)

Yeah that was a bit repetitious. On the other hand I didn't know that
emacs would tab complete ~ on Windows, I was using the "native"
interface. ;]

Thanks!


------------------------------------------------------------------
Russell Adams                            RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.com

PGP Key ID:     0x1160DCB3           http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/

Fingerprint:    1723 D8CA 4280 1EC9 557F  66E8 1154 E018 1160 DCB3

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: Re: New Screencast: Setting Up Org-mode for Windows
  2010-11-08 22:07 ` New Screencast: Setting Up Org-mode for Windows Raymond Zeitler
  2010-11-08 22:34   ` Russell Adams
@ 2010-11-11 17:18   ` Ian Barton
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 3+ messages in thread
From: Ian Barton @ 2010-11-11 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raymond Zeitler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode


> Thanks for creating this, Russell.  It's great!
>

>
> Oh, BTW, is there a tutorial on how to set up a Worg account for Windows
> users?
>
You should be able to use Putty on Windows, the same way as ssh in 
Linux. See http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Ian.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2010-11-11 17:18 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 3+ messages (download: mbox.gz follow: Atom feed
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
     [not found] <201011081706.oA8H65QA021421@hormel5.ieee.org>
2010-11-08 22:07 ` New Screencast: Setting Up Org-mode for Windows Raymond Zeitler
2010-11-08 22:34   ` Russell Adams
2010-11-11 17:18   ` Ian Barton

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this public inbox

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).