* epresent and Org-mode: using Emacs to run presentations of Org-mode docs
@ 2010-10-28 14:35 Eric Schulte
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-10-28 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode; +Cc: Tom Tromey, Phil Hagelberg

Hi,

Phil Hagelberg recently introduced me to epresent.el by Tom Tromey.
It's a very nice little utility for giving presentations using Emacs as
the display engine.  Obviously I was aghast to learn that epresent
didn't work with Org-mode documents.  I took the liberty of reworking it
so that it runs off of Org-mode documents and uses Org-mode both to
structure the presentation and to handle most of the fancy display
elements.

This re-working was mainly a series of quick hacks, and is certainly not
"mature" in any way.  But I think it is usable in it's current state for
running simple presentations, and thought it may be interesting or of
use to people here.  If you're interested check out the example
presentation included in the source code repository.

http://github.com/eschulte/epresent
(instructions in the README)

Best -- Eric

* Re: epresent and Org-mode: using Emacs to run presentations of Org-mode docs
@ 2010-10-28 14:55 ` Richard Riley
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-10-28 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Phil Hagelberg recently introduced me to epresent.el by Tom Tromey.
> It's a very nice little utility for giving presentations using Emacs as
> the display engine.  Obviously I was aghast to learn that epresent
> didn't work with Org-mode documents.  I took the liberty of reworking it
> so that it runs off of Org-mode documents and uses Org-mode both to
> structure the presentation and to handle most of the fancy display
> elements.
>
> This re-working was mainly a series of quick hacks, and is certainly not
> "mature" in any way.  But I think it is usable in it's current state for
> running simple presentations, and thought it may be interesting or of
> use to people here.  If you're interested check out the example
> presentation included in the source code repository.
>
> http://github.com/eschulte/epresent
> (instructions in the README)

If anyone missed it, there is also emacs-muse-slidy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arciniegas/5108022392/

That is very impressive.

* Re: epresent and Org-mode: using Emacs to run presentations of Org-mode docs
@ 2010-10-28 17:53 ` Jambunathan K
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jambunathan K @ 2010-10-28 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Tom Tromey, Org Mode, Phil Hagelberg

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Phil Hagelberg recently introduced me to epresent.el by Tom Tromey.
> It's a very nice little utility for giving presentations using Emacs as
> the display engine.  Obviously I was aghast to learn that epresent
> didn't work with Org-mode documents.  I took the liberty of reworking it
> so that it runs off of Org-mode documents and uses Org-mode both to
> structure the presentation and to handle most of the fancy display
> elements.
>
> This re-working was mainly a series of quick hacks, and is certainly not
> "mature" in any way.  But I think it is usable in it's current state for
> running simple presentations, and thought it may be interesting or of
> use to people here.  If you're interested check out the example
> presentation included in the source code repository.
>
> http://github.com/eschulte/epresent
> (instructions in the README)

I think (require 'org-exp) is required.

Looks like it walks you through the headline one at a time and presents
the entry contents as such.

When I get to the equations slide what should I expect to see? The
equation fully rendered (as in text books) or just the markup (as it is
literally typed).

Jambunathan K.

@ 2010-10-28 19:01   ` Łukasz Stelmach
From: Łukasz Stelmach @ 2010-10-28 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Phil Hagelberg recently introduced me to epresent.el by Tom Tromey.
>> It's a very nice little utility for giving presentations using Emacs as
>> the display engine.
[...]
>> http://github.com/eschulte/epresent
>> (instructions in the README)
>
> If anyone missed it, there is also emacs-muse-slidy.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/arciniegas/5108022392/
>
> That is very impressive.

Not bad. But there is org-s5 too.

http://github.com/sigma/org-s5

--
Miłego dnia,
Łukasz Stelmach

* Re: epresent and Org-mode: using Emacs to run presentations of Org-mode docs
@ 2010-10-28 19:02 ` Łukasz Stelmach
From: Łukasz Stelmach @ 2010-10-28 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Phil Hagelberg recently introduced me to epresent.el by Tom Tromey.
> It's a very nice little utility for giving presentations using Emacs as
> the display engine.
[...]
> http://github.com/eschulte/epresent
> (instructions in the README)

I am preparing a talk about org-mode. I've decided to use org-s5 but
I'm starting to hesitate :-)

--
Miłego dnia,
Łukasz Stelmach

* Re: epresent and Org-mode: using Emacs to run presentations of Org-mode docs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-10-28 19:29 ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-10-28 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Eric,

"Eric Schulte" wrote:
> Phil Hagelberg recently introduced me to epresent.el by Tom Tromey. It's a
> very nice little utility for giving presentations using Emacs as the display
> engine. Obviously I was aghast to learn that epresent didn't work with
> Org-mode documents. I took the liberty of reworking it so that it runs off
> of Org-mode documents and uses Org-mode both to structure the presentation
> and to handle most of the fancy display elements.
>
> This re-working was mainly a series of quick hacks, and is certainly not
> "mature" in any way. But I think it is usable in it's current state for
> running simple presentations, and thought it may be interesting or of use to
> people here. If you're interested check out the example presentation
> included in the source code repository.
>
> http://github.com/eschulte/epresent
> (instructions in the README)

Just a typo in README: present.org, instead of presentation.org.

Quite promising for the rest, really!  Thanks once again, for all add-ons you
provide us with...

On the glitches side:

- some titles are truncated because of their size
- I did not see any image
- Beamer's frame level is not supported (ending up with a couple of really
  long slides)
- having to scroll within a slide seems to edit the Org file somehow
- "edited" Org file is not undo-able because of visibility troubles
- error "outline-back-to-heading: before first heading"

But, once again, it gives a lot of hope to get right to the point of loosing a
less time as possible, and lets us work on the contents of our file.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Re: epresent and Org-mode: using Emacs to run presentations of Org-mode docs
@ 2010-10-28 20:16   ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2010-10-28 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Łukasz Stelmach; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eric,

This is cool and very useful.  Thanks.

This must be Zeitgeist-y because I was thinking about preparing
presentations in Emacs this week.  Then I saw slidy, now this and s5.

Here's a further idea, to see what people think.  Do you think it would be
possible to make a temporary org-mode display configuration to display
org-mode-written presentations (similar to epresent) without leaving org
mode, and leaving the displayed slides editable?

I once saw a video of someone doing a live presentation on something Emacs-y
and he did the presentation by typing headlines, lists and detail in a clean
Emacs buffer as he went along, similar to the way that some teachers might
write out subject headings or outlines on the chalkboard or overhead
projector as they lecture.  I liked this a lot. As I see it, for less formal
presentation situations, it lets you annotate and record class discussions
discussions.  It also lets the talk proceed in a less scripted manner:  you
can for example re-work the problem on the fly according to the way the
group has defined it in the moment, not only according to the way you
planned it at home.

But doing it on the fly means that you don't have any of the advantages of
typical slide-style presentations: an outline to prompt you, important
figures, tables and visuals already there, links, detail, and the rest,
pre-assembled.

I've wondered whether org mode might not be a nice vehicle to combine these
things.  For example, you create your script (just like in Eric's '
present.org'), but instead of showing in a custom display mode, you actually
tweak the display parameters of org-mode itself to look slide-like (no
stars, bigger fonts for titles, invisible /markup characters/, etc.), and
then display the slides by displaying each top level subtree in a narrowed
buffer one at a time.  You add key bindings for moving back and forth, even
perhaps a temporary minor mode for single key frame navigation that you
could go in and out of (vi-like, I suppose).

This way you'd be in (a slightly modified) org mode all the time, and could
edit as you go, using all the structural features of org mode, and at the
end you'd have a neat record of the way the lecture actually went, that you
could distribute as you wish.

Can anyone think why this might not be doable?

Scot

2010/10/28 Łukasz Stelmach <lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl>

> "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Phil Hagelberg recently introduced me to epresent.el by Tom Tromey.
> > It's a very nice little utility for giving presentations using Emacs as
> > the display engine.
> [...]
> > http://github.com/eschulte/epresent
> > (instructions in the README)
>
> I am preparing a talk about org-mode. I've decided to use org-s5 but
> I'm starting to hesitate :-)
>
> --
> Miłego dnia,
> Łukasz Stelmach

* Re: epresent and Org-mode: using Emacs to run presentations of Org-mode docs
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-10-28 20:30 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-10-28 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Tom Tromey, Org Mode, Phil Hagelberg

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Phil Hagelberg recently introduced me to epresent.el by Tom Tromey.
> It's a very nice little utility for giving presentations using Emacs as
> the display engine.  Obviously I was aghast to learn that epresent
> didn't work with Org-mode documents.  I took the liberty of reworking it
> so that it runs off of Org-mode documents and uses Org-mode both to
> structure the presentation and to handle most of the fancy display
> elements.
>
> This re-working was mainly a series of quick hacks, and is certainly not
> "mature" in any way.  But I think it is usable in it's current state for
> running simple presentations, and thought it may be interesting or of
> use to people here.  If you're interested check out the example
> presentation included in the source code repository.
>
> http://github.com/eschulte/epresent
> (instructions in the README)
>
> Best -- Eric

This is brilliant!  Sure, it isn't going to replace beamer for me but
for quick and dirty presentations, this will be very very useful.

It seems to work very well out of the box (for me).  I haven't tried an
image yet but the latex definitely works well.

Thanks,
eric

PS - I'll be tracking that git repository!

--
Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

* Re: Re: epresent and Org-mode: using Emacs to run presentations of Org-mode docs
@ 2010-10-28 21:55     ` Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2010-10-28 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scot Becker; +Cc: Łukasz Stelmach, emacs-orgmode

Scot Becker <scot.becker@gmail.com> writes:

> I once saw a video of someone doing a live presentation on something
> Emacs-y and he did the presentation by typing headlines, lists and
> detail in a clean Emacs buffer as he went along, similar to the way
> that some teachers might write out subject headings or outlines on the
> chalkboard or overhead projector as they lecture.  I liked this a
> lot. As I see it, for less formal presentation situations, it lets you
> annotate and record class discussions discussions.  It also lets the
> talk proceed in a less scripted manner:  you can for example re-work
> the problem on the fly according to the way the group has defined it
> in the moment, not only according to the way you planned it at home.
>
> But doing it on the fly means that you don't have any of the
> advantages of typical slide-style presentations: an outline to prompt
> you, important figures, tables and visuals already there, links,
> detail, and the rest, pre-assembled.

I usually do something in-between this at my talks: I just have an
orgmode file that I typed up a brief outline of my talk that I plan to
give inside, along with src code snippets, links, whatever.  This often
works well for a highly technical audience I find.

However, yeah, I've also been interested in a less nerdy presentation
route myself... s5?  One of these others?  There seem to be a lot of
good options these days.  :)

* Re: Re: epresent and Org-mode: using Emacs to run presentations of Org-mode docs
@ 2010-10-28 22:30       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-10-28 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Allan Webber; +Cc: Łukasz Stelmach, emacs-orgmode

Christopher Allan Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org> writes:

> However, yeah, I've also been interested in a less nerdy presentation
> route myself... s5?  One of these others?  There seem to be a lot of
> good options these days.  :)

and here I've been specifically looking for nerdier presentation options :)

* Re: epresent and Org-mode: using Emacs to run presentations of Org-mode docs
@ 2010-10-28 22:40   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-10-28 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Tom Tromey, Org Mode, Phil Hagelberg

> "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Phil Hagelberg recently introduced me to epresent.el by Tom Tromey.
>> It's a very nice little utility for giving presentations using Emacs as
>> the display engine.  Obviously I was aghast to learn that epresent
>> didn't work with Org-mode documents.  I took the liberty of reworking it
>> so that it runs off of Org-mode documents and uses Org-mode both to
>> structure the presentation and to handle most of the fancy display
>> elements.
>>
>> This re-working was mainly a series of quick hacks, and is certainly not
>> "mature" in any way.  But I think it is usable in it's current state for
>> running simple presentations, and thought it may be interesting or of
>> use to people here.  If you're interested check out the example
>> presentation included in the source code repository.
>>
>> http://github.com/eschulte/epresent
>> (instructions in the README)
>>

> I think (require 'org-exp) is required.

do you know what for?

> Looks like it walks you through the headline one at a time and
> presents the entry contents as such.

yes

> When I get to the equations slide what should I expect to see? The
> equation fully rendered (as in text books) or just the markup (as it is
> literally typed).

I see an image overlay of the latex fragment.  Is that not what you see?

@ 2010-10-28 22:41     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-10-28 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Łukasz Stelmach; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Łukasz Stelmach <lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Phil Hagelberg recently introduced me to epresent.el by Tom Tromey.
>>> It's a very nice little utility for giving presentations using Emacs as
>>> the display engine.
> [...]
>>> http://github.com/eschulte/epresent
>>> (instructions in the README)
>>
>> If anyone missed it, there is also emacs-muse-slidy.
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/arciniegas/5108022392/
>>
>> That is very impressive.
>
> Not bad. But there is org-s5 too.
>
> http://github.com/sigma/org-s5

Oh cool, this is the first I've seen of S5 or org-S5.

I think I'll probably stick with Beamer export for my serious
presentations, but I like the idea and simplicity of being to run simple
presentations directly from within Emacs.

* Re: Re: epresent and Org-mode: using Emacs to run presentations of Org-mode docs
@ 2010-10-28 22:42     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-10-28 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scot Becker; +Cc: Łukasz Stelmach, emacs-orgmode

Hi Scot,

Scot Becker <scot.becker@gmail.com> writes:

> Eric,
>
> This is cool and very useful.  Thanks.

Thanks, it was fun to work on.  Also, most of the cool functionality
already existed in Tom's original version, I just rebased it against
Org-mode.

> This must be Zeitgeist-y because I was thinking about preparing
> presentations in Emacs this week.  Then I saw slidy, now this and s5.
>
> Here's a further idea, to see what people think.  Do you think it would be
> possible to make a temporary org-mode display configuration to display
> org-mode-written presentations (similar to epresent) without leaving org
> mode, and leaving the displayed slides editable?
>
> I once saw a video of someone doing a live presentation on something Emacs-y
> and he did the presentation by typing headlines, lists and detail in a clean
> Emacs buffer as he went along, similar to the way that some teachers might
> write out subject headings or outlines on the chalkboard or overhead
> projector as they lecture.  I liked this a lot. As I see it, for less formal
> presentation situations, it lets you annotate and record class discussions
> discussions.  It also lets the talk proceed in a less scripted manner:  you
> can for example re-work the problem on the fly according to the way the
> group has defined it in the moment, not only according to the way you
> planned it at home.
>
> But doing it on the fly means that you don't have any of the advantages of
> typical slide-style presentations: an outline to prompt you, important
> figures, tables and visuals already there, links, detail, and the rest,
> pre-assembled.

There is always the option of just upping the font size of a full screen
Emacs buffer.  In the past I've recorded macros which

1) widen
2) org-get-next-sibling
3) org-narrow-to-subtree

or

1) widen
2) org-get-last-sibling
3) org-narrow-to-subtree

and have found those nearly sufficient for giving a live editable
presentation in Org-mode.

> I've wondered whether org mode might not be a nice vehicle to combine
> these things.  For example, you create your script (just like in
> Eric's ' present.org'), but instead of showing in a custom display
> mode, you actually tweak the display parameters of org-mode itself to
> look slide-like (no stars, bigger fonts for titles, invisible /markup
> characters/, etc.), and then display the slides by displaying each top
> level subtree in a narrowed buffer one at a time.  You add key
> bindings for moving back and forth, even perhaps a temporary minor
> mode for single key frame navigation that you could go in and out of
> (vi-like, I suppose).
>
> This way you'd be in (a slightly modified) org mode all the time, and could
> edit as you go, using all the structural features of org mode, and at the
> end you'd have a neat record of the way the lecture actually went, that you
> could distribute as you wish.
>
> Can anyone think why this might not be doable?

That does seem eminently doable, and I think that epresent could be a
good jumping off point, all that should be required is changing epresent
from a major to a minor mode (although that may not be required since it
inherits from Org-mode) and moving some of the key-bindings behind less
invasive key-bindings.

That said I definitely do not have the time to build upon or even really
support this code, so you'll be on your own in the implementation
(although I'll be happy to help in terms of answering questions).

Cheers -- Eric

@ 2010-10-28 22:43   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-10-28 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Seb,

Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> "Eric Schulte" wrote:
>> Phil Hagelberg recently introduced me to epresent.el by Tom Tromey. It's a
>> very nice little utility for giving presentations using Emacs as the display
>> engine. Obviously I was aghast to learn that epresent didn't work with
>> Org-mode documents. I took the liberty of reworking it so that it runs off
>> of Org-mode documents and uses Org-mode both to structure the presentation
>> and to handle most of the fancy display elements.
>>
>> This re-working was mainly a series of quick hacks, and is certainly not
>> "mature" in any way. But I think it is usable in it's current state for
>> running simple presentations, and thought it may be interesting or of use to
>> people here. If you're interested check out the example presentation
>> included in the source code repository.
>>
>> http://github.com/eschulte/epresent
>> (instructions in the README)
>
> Just a typo in README: present.org, instead of presentation.org.

Thanks fixed.

> Quite promising for the rest, really!  Thanks once again, for all
> add-ons you provide us with...

Thanks, all credit goes to Carsten for making Org-mode so much fun to
extend.

> On the glitches side:

I'm sure there are still some bugs.  I definitely want to introduce this
more as "something that may be fun" rather than "supported software".

> - some titles are truncated because of their size
> - I did not see any image

I'll take a look, I don't think I ever tested with an image (aside from
the LaTeX preview image).

> - Beamer's frame level is not supported (ending up with a couple of
>   really long slides)

This is one of those things that I don't think I'll ever really want to
implement as it begins to go beyond the complexity of what I consider a
simple tool.

> - having to scroll within a slide seems to edit the Org file somehow

My guess is that widening and narrowing the buffer is re-setting the
"edited" state of the buffer, but I can't say for sure.

> - "edited" Org file is not undo-able because of visibility troubles

Yea, epresent hides the cursor and the echo area, which makes any sort
of editing or navigation aside form using the built in functions a pain.
Maybe if scroll was bound to space-bar this could be fixed.

> - error "outline-back-to-heading: before first heading"

When does this happen?

> But, once again, it gives a lot of hope to get right to the point of
> loosing a less time as possible, and lets us work on the contents of
> our file.

Here's hoping.

Cheers -- Eric

@ 2010-10-29  2:01     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2010-10-29  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Tom Tromey, Org Mode, Phil Hagelberg

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Phil Hagelberg recently introduced me to epresent.el by Tom Tromey.
>>> It's a very nice little utility for giving presentations using Emacs as
>>> the display engine.  Obviously I was aghast to learn that epresent
>>> didn't work with Org-mode documents.  I took the liberty of reworking it
>>> so that it runs off of Org-mode documents and uses Org-mode both to
>>> structure the presentation and to handle most of the fancy display
>>> elements.
>>>
>>> This re-working was mainly a series of quick hacks, and is certainly not
>>> "mature" in any way.  But I think it is usable in it's current state for
>>> running simple presentations, and thought it may be interesting or of
>>> use to people here.  If you're interested check out the example
>>> presentation included in the source code repository.
>>>
>>> http://github.com/eschulte/epresent
>>> (instructions in the README)
>>>

>> I think (require 'org-exp) is required.
>>

> do you know what for?

This is the trace I got otherwise. (See the trace at the end of the mail)

>> Looks like it walks you through the headline one at a time and
>> presents the entry contents as such.
>>

> yes

And it fontifies the headlines in bold fonts just as in slides (actually
too big for my NetBook).

Yesterday when I did a quick run the presentation was insipid and I
didn't get to see the big slide-like fonts. Honestly, I was a bit
surprised at why others were wowing.

I ran the presentation today right after also doing a C-c C-e d (for
verifying Thomas' bug report on LaTeX internal links) and I see the
altered behaviour. I do think it is pretty impressive.

I think loading the org-latex.el makes this difference.

>> When I get to the equations slide what should I expect to see? The
>> equation fully rendered (as in text books) or just the markup (as it is
>> literally typed).
>>

> I see an image overlay of the latex fragment.  Is that not what you see?

No I don't see any overlays. I will investigate the problem sometime
later. Possible that it has something to do with ltxpng or missing image
libraries.

Jambunathan K.

Trace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function org-infile-export-plist)
  (org-infile-export-plist)
  (plist-get (org-infile-export-plist) :latex-header-extra)
  (let* ((prefixnodir ...) (absprefix ...) (todir ...) (opt org-format-latex-options) (matchers ...) (re-list org-latex-regexps) (org-format-latex-header-extra ...) (cnt 0) txt hash link beg end re e checkdir executables-checked string m n block linkfile movefile ov) (while (setq e ...) (setq m ... re ... n ... block ...) (when ... ... ...)))
  org-format-latex("ltxpng/present" "c:/Documents and Settings/kjambunathan/My Documents/My Data/elisp/eschulte-epresent-016f027/" overlays "Creating images for entry...%s" nil forbuffer dvipng)
  (let (beg end at msg) (cond (... ...) (... ... ...) (t ... ...)) (message msg "") (narrow-to-region beg end) (goto-char beg) (org-format-latex (concat "ltxpng/" ...) default-directory (quote overlays) msg at (quote forbuffer) (quote dvipng)) (message msg "done.  Use `C-c C-c' to remove images."))
  (save-restriction (let (beg end at msg) (cond ... ... ...) (message msg "") (narrow-to-region beg end) (goto-char beg) (org-format-latex ... default-directory ... msg at ... ...) (message msg "done.  Use `C-c C-c' to remove images.")))
  (save-excursion (save-restriction (let ... ... ... ... ... ... ...)))
  org-preview-latex-fragment(16)
  (let ((org-format-latex-options ...)) (org-preview-latex-fragment 16))
  (let ((delay-mode-hooks t)) (org-mode) (setq major-mode (quote epresent-mode)) (setq mode-name "EPresent") (progn (if ... ...) (unless ... ...) (let ... ...)) (use-local-map epresent-mode-map) (set-syntax-table epresent-mode-syntax-table) (setq local-abbrev-table epresent-mode-abbrev-table) (text-scale-adjust 0) (text-scale-adjust epresent-text-scale) (setq org-inline-image-overlays t) (setq org-src-fontify-natively t) (let (...) (org-preview-latex-fragment 16)) (add-to-invisibility-spec (quote ...)) (org-remove-flyspell-overlays-in (point-min) (point-max)) (epresent-fontify))
  (progn (make-local-variable (quote delay-mode-hooks)) (let (...) (org-mode) (setq major-mode ...) (setq mode-name "EPresent") (progn ... ... ...) (use-local-map epresent-mode-map) (set-syntax-table epresent-mode-syntax-table) (setq local-abbrev-table epresent-mode-abbrev-table) (text-scale-adjust 0) (text-scale-adjust epresent-text-scale) (setq org-inline-image-overlays t) (setq org-src-fontify-natively t) (let ... ...) (add-to-invisibility-spec ...) (org-remove-flyspell-overlays-in ... ...) (epresent-fontify)))
  (delay-mode-hooks (org-mode) (setq major-mode (quote epresent-mode)) (setq mode-name "EPresent") (progn (if ... ...) (unless ... ...) (let ... ...)) (use-local-map epresent-mode-map) (set-syntax-table epresent-mode-syntax-table) (setq local-abbrev-table epresent-mode-abbrev-table) (text-scale-adjust 0) (text-scale-adjust epresent-text-scale) (setq org-inline-image-overlays t) (setq org-src-fontify-natively t) (let (...) (org-preview-latex-fragment 16)) (add-to-invisibility-spec (quote ...)) (org-remove-flyspell-overlays-in (point-min) (point-max)) (epresent-fontify))
  epresent-mode()
  epresent-run()
  call-interactively(epresent-run t nil)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)

@ 2010-10-29  4:27       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-10-29  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Tom Tromey, Org Mode, Phil Hagelberg

> "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I think (require 'org-exp) is required.
>>>

>> do you know what for?
>>

> This is the trace I got otherwise. (See the trace at the end of the mail)

Thanks, It's now requiring org-exp and org-latex.

>>> Looks like it walks you through the headline one at a time and
>>> presents the entry contents as such.
>>>

>> yes
>>

> And it fontifies the headlines in bold fonts just as in slides (actually
> too big for my NetBook).

in newer Emacs C-- and C-+ should be usable to adjust the font sizes.

> Yesterday when I did a quick run the presentation was insipid and I
> didn't get to see the big slide-like fonts. Honestly, I was a bit
> surprised at why others were wowing.
>
> I ran the presentation today right after also doing a C-c C-e d (for
> verifying Thomas' bug report on LaTeX internal links) and I see the
> altered behaviour. I do think it is pretty impressive.
>
> I think loading the org-latex.el makes this difference.
>

>>> When I get to the equations slide what should I expect to see? The
>>> equation fully rendered (as in text books) or just the markup (as it is
>>> literally typed).
>>>

>> I see an image overlay of the latex fragment.  Is that not what you see?
>>

> No I don't see any overlays. I will investigate the problem sometime
> later. Possible that it has something to do with ltxpng or missing image
> libraries.

hmm, this uses the same machinery used to display latex previews in
regular Org-mode buffers (callable with C-c C-x C-l), so if that works
this should work, and vice versa, but I believe this does require some
special commands be available on your system (e.g. dvipng).

Best -- Eric

@ 2010-10-29  4:41   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-10-29  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> - I did not see any image

I think inline images should be working with the latest version

* Re: epresent and Org-mode: using Emacs to run presentations of Org-mode docs
@ 2010-10-29  6:17       ` Łukasz Stelmach
From: Łukasz Stelmach @ 2010-10-29  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Łukasz Stelmach <lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl> writes:
>
>> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

>> [...]
>>>
>>> If anyone missed it, there is also emacs-muse-slidy.
>>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/arciniegas/5108022392/
>>>
>>> That is very impressive.
>>
>> Not bad. But there is org-s5 too.
>>
>> http://github.com/sigma/org-s5
>
> Oh cool, this is the first I've seen of S5 or org-S5.

If you check the latest beta of S5 (not org-s5) there is even cooler
feature. You can open a separete window with notes (<div class="notes"/>
how to export a :NOTES: drwer into a div?) and *timers*, so it
is quite comfortable for a real dual head set up.

> I think I'll probably stick with Beamer export for my serious
> presentations, but I like the idea and simplicity of being to run simple
> presentations directly from within Emacs.

S5 and other HTML slide show frameworks have (at least) one great
advantage over Beamer, one can embed (there are at least two ways) SVG
image, which is quite hard with LaTeX/Beamer duo (is there any
command-line tool to convert SVG to EPS/PDF?)
--
Miłego dnia,
Łukasz Stelmach

* Re: Re: epresent and Org-mode: using Emacs to run presentations of Org-mode docs
@ 2010-10-29 11:08         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-10-29 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Łukasz Stelmach; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Łukasz Stelmach <lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl> writes:

> [...]

> S5 and other HTML slide show frameworks have (at least) one great
> advantage over Beamer, one can embed (there are at least two ways) SVG
> image, which is quite hard with LaTeX/Beamer duo (is there any
> command-line tool to convert SVG to EPS/PDF?)
> --
> Miłego dnia,
> Łukasz Stelmach

ImageMagick [1] will convert from/to SVG to/from many formats including
EPS.  I've not tried any conversions with SVG, mind you, so this is
based on the documentation.

Specifically,

: identify -list format

on my system says:

: SVG  SVG       rw+   Scalable Vector Graphics (RSVG 2.26.0)

which means it can read and write SVG format images.

eric

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

--

@ 2010-10-29 13:14           ` Łukasz Stelmach
From: Łukasz Stelmach @ 2010-10-29 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> Łukasz Stelmach <lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl> writes:
>
>> [...]
>
>> S5 and other HTML slide show frameworks have (at least) one great
>> advantage over Beamer, one can embed (there are at least two ways) SVG
>> image, which is quite hard with LaTeX/Beamer duo (is there any
>> command-line tool to convert SVG to EPS/PDF?)
>
> ImageMagick [1] will convert from/to SVG to/from many formats including
> EPS.  I've not tried any conversions with SVG, mind you, so this is
> based on the documentation.

I'll check it, but I'm afraid it does render SVG as bitmap first,
and then "converts", or rather encapsulates, it to EPS/PDF. ImageMagick
is a bitmap manipulation tool after all.

--
Miłego dnia,
Łukasz Stelmach

* Re: Re: epresent and Org-mode: using Emacs to run presentations of Org-mode docs
@ 2010-10-29 14:19             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-10-29 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Łukasz Stelmach; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Łukasz Stelmach <lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> ImageMagick [1] will convert from/to SVG to/from many formats including
>> EPS.  I've not tried any conversions with SVG, mind you, so this is
>> based on the documentation.
>>

> I'll check it, but I'm afraid it does render SVG as bitmap first,
> and then "converts", or rather encapsulates, it to EPS/PDF. ImageMagick
> is a bitmap manipulation tool after all.

Very true.  For presentations, this may not be that much of an issue
(given the resolution of many data projectors)... but it's a very valid
point.

Do let us know if you find a vector based converter.

Thanks,
eric
--

@ 2010-11-01 22:47               ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2010-11-01 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Łukasz Stelmach, emacs-orgmode

Re: converting SVG

1. Prince (http://www.princexml.com) does SVG to PDF as vector
graphics from the command line, very nicely. Too bad it's proprietary.

e.g.

: prince drawing.svg drawing.pdf

2. Ask Inkscape -- it's free software; unfortunately, the result is
rasterized.

e.g.

: inkscape --without-gui --export-text-to-path
--export-eps=drawing.eps drawing.svg

 From a sample 52 KB SVG file, Inkscape gives me a 420 KB EPS and
Prince a 20 KB PDF.

Cheers,
Christian

@ 2010-11-02 10:40                 ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-11-02 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail; +Cc: Łukasz Stelmach, Eric S Fraga, emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 11:47 PM, Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com>wrote:

> Re: converting SVG

Have you looked at rsvg  (http://librsvg.sourceforge.net/)?

I am not sure if it uses vector for pdf, but it might be worth a try?

Cheers,

Rainer

> 1. Prince (http://www.princexml.com) does SVG to PDF as vector graphics
> from the command line, very nicely. Too bad it's proprietary.
>
> e.g.
>
> : prince drawing.svg drawing.pdf
>
> 2. Ask Inkscape -- it's free software; unfortunately, the result is
> rasterized.
>
> e.g.
>
> : inkscape --without-gui --export-text-to-path --export-eps=drawing.eps
> drawing.svg
>
> From a sample 52 KB SVG file, Inkscape gives me a 420 KB EPS and Prince a
> 20 KB PDF.
>
> Cheers,
> Christian
>

> On 10/29/10 4:19 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>
>> Łukasz Stelmach<lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl>  writes:
>>
>>  Eric S Fraga<ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk>  writes:
>>>
>>>  ImageMagick [1] will convert from/to SVG to/from many formats including
>>>>

>>> I'll check it, but I'm afraid it does render SVG as bitmap first,
>>> and then "converts", or rather encapsulates, it to EPS/PDF. ImageMagick
>>> is a bitmap manipulation tool after all.
>>>

>> Very true.  For presentations, this may not be that much of an issue
>> (given the resolution of many data projectors)... but it's a very valid
>> point.
>>
>> Do let us know if you find a vector based converter.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> eric

NEW GERMAN FAX NUMBER!!!

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Natural Sciences Building
Office Suite 2039
Stellenbosch University
Main Campus, Merriman Avenue
Stellenbosch
South Africa

Cell:           +27 - (0)83 9479 042
Fax:            +27 - (0)86 516 2782
Fax:            +49 - (0)321 2125 2244
email:          Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:          RMkrug
Google:         R.M.Krug@gmail.com

* Re: Re: epresent and Org-mode: using Emacs to run presentations of Org-mode docs
@ 2010-11-02 11:25                   ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2010-11-02 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: Łukasz Stelmach, Eric S Fraga, emacs-orgmode

Hi,

the librsvg man page says PNG and JPEG raster formats only.

CM

--

Christian Moe
E-mail:  mail@christianmoe.com

* Re: Re: epresent and Org-mode: using Emacs to run presentations of Org-mode docs
@ 2010-11-02 13:19                     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-11-02 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail; +Cc: Łukasz Stelmach, Eric S Fraga, emacs-orgmode

On 11/02/2010 12:25 PM, Christian Moe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the librsvg man page says PNG and JPEG raster formats only.

Unless I have completely misunderstood these two formats, they are
raster formats - consequently, svg (vector) has to be converted to raster.

Cheers,

Rainer

> CM
>
> On 11/2/10 11:40 AM, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 11:47 PM, Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com
>> <mailto:mail@christianmoe.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Re: converting SVG
>>

>> Have you looked at rsvg  (http://librsvg.sourceforge.net/)?
>>
>> I am not sure if it uses vector for pdf, but it might be worth a try?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Rainer
>>

>>     1. Prince (http://www.princexml.com) does SVG to PDF as vector
>>     graphics from the command line, very nicely. Too bad it's
>> proprietary.
>>
>>     e.g.
>>
>>     : prince drawing.svg drawing.pdf
>>
>>     2. Ask Inkscape -- it's free software; unfortunately, the result
>>     is rasterized.
>>
>>     e.g.
>>
>>     : inkscape --without-gui --export-text-to-path
>>     --export-eps=drawing.eps drawing.svg
>>
>>      >From a sample 52 KB SVG file, Inkscape gives me a 420 KB EPS and
>>     Prince a 20 KB PDF.
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>     Christian
>>

>>     On 10/29/10 4:19 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>>
>>         Łukasz Stelmach<lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl
>>         <mailto:lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl>>  writes:
>>
>>             Eric S Fraga<ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk <mailto:ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk>>
>>               writes:
>>
>>                 ImageMagick [1] will convert from/to SVG to/from many
>>                 formats including
>>                 EPS.  I've not tried any conversions with SVG, mind
>>                 you, so this is
>>                 based on the documentation.
>>

>>             I'll check it, but I'm afraid it does render SVG as bitmap
>>             first,
>>             and then "converts", or rather encapsulates, it to
>>             EPS/PDF. ImageMagick
>>             is a bitmap manipulation tool after all.
>>

>>         Very true.  For presentations, this may not be that much of an
>>         issue
>>         (given the resolution of many data projectors)... but it's a
>>         very valid
>>         point.
>>
>>         Do let us know if you find a vector based converter.
>>
>>         Thanks,
>>         eric

>> --
>> NEW GERMAN FAX NUMBER!!!
>>
>> Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation
>> Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)
>>
>> Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology
>> Natural Sciences Building
>> Office Suite 2039
>> Stellenbosch University
>> Main Campus, Merriman Avenue
>> Stellenbosch
>> South Africa
>>
>> Cell:           +27 - (0)83 9479 042
>> Fax:            +27 - (0)86 516 2782
>> Fax:            +49 - (0)321 2125 2244
>> email: Rainer@krugs.de <mailto:Rainer@krugs.de>
>>
>> Skype:          RMkrug
>> Google: R.M.Krug@gmail.com <mailto:R.M.Krug@gmail.com>

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Natural Sciences Building
Office Suite 2039
Stellenbosch University
Main Campus, Merriman Avenue
Stellenbosch
South Africa

Tel:        +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +27 - (0)8 39 47 90 42
Fax (SA):   +27 - (0)8 65 16 27 82
Fax (D) :   +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44
Fax (FR):   +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44
email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: Re: epresent and Org-mode: using Emacs to run presentations of Org-mode docs
@ 2010-11-02 14:20                     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-11-02 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail
  Cc: =?UTF-8?B?xYF1a2FzeiBTdGVsbWFjaA==?=, Eric S Fraga, emacs-orgmode,
	nicholas.dokos, Rainer M Krug

Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the librsvg man page says PNG and JPEG raster formats only.
>
> CM
>
> On 11/2/10 11:40 AM, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 11:47 PM, Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com
> > <mailto:mail@christianmoe.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Re: converting SVG
> >

> > Have you looked at rsvg  (http://librsvg.sourceforge.net/)?
> >
> > I am not sure if it uses vector for pdf, but it might be worth a try?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Rainer
> >

> >     1. Prince (http://www.princexml.com) does SVG to PDF as vector
> >     graphics from the command line, very nicely. Too bad it's proprietary.
> >
> >     e.g.
> >
> >     : prince drawing.svg drawing.pdf
> >
> >     2. Ask Inkscape -- it's free software; unfortunately, the result
> >     is rasterized.
> >
> >     e.g.
> >
> >     : inkscape --without-gui --export-text-to-path
> >     --export-eps=drawing.eps drawing.svg
> >
> >      >From a sample 52 KB SVG file, Inkscape gives me a 420 KB EPS and
> >     Prince a 20 KB PDF.
> >
> >     Cheers,
> >     Christian
> >

> >     On 10/29/10 4:19 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> >
> >         Łukasz Stelmach<lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl
> >         <mailto:lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl>>  writes:
> >
> >             Eric S Fraga<ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk <mailto:ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk>>
> >               writes:
> >
> >                 ImageMagick [1] will convert from/to SVG to/from many
> >                 formats including
> >                 EPS.  I've not tried any conversions with SVG, mind
> >                 you, so this is
> >                 based on the documentation.
> >

> >             I'll check it, but I'm afraid it does render SVG as bitmap
> >             first,
> >             and then "converts", or rather encapsulates, it to
> >             EPS/PDF. ImageMagick
> >             is a bitmap manipulation tool after all.
> >

> >         Very true.  For presentations, this may not be that much of an
> >         issue
> >         (given the resolution of many data projectors)... but it's a
> >         very valid
> >         point.
> >
> >         Do let us know if you find a vector based converter.
> >
> >         Thanks,
> >         eric

The batik svg rasteriser page

        http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/tools/rasterizer.html

says:

        This page describes the features of the SVG Rasterizer utility
        that comes with the Batik distribution. The SVG Rasterizer is a
        utility that can convert SVG files to a raster format. The tool
        can convert individual files or sets of files, making it easy to
        convert entire directories of SVG files. The provided formats
        are JPEG, PNG and TIFF, however the design allows new formats to
        be added easily. In addition, the rasterizer can (despite its
        name) transcode to PDF.

I haven't used it at all, but that last sentence is suggestive. Maybe it
fits the bill?

HTH,
Nick

* Re: Re: epresent and Org-mode: using Emacs to run presentations of Org-mode docs
@ 2010-11-02 17:51                 ` Tom Short
From: Tom Short @ 2010-11-02 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail; +Cc: Łukasz Stelmach, Eric S Fraga, emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> wrote:
> Re: converting SVG
>
> 2. Ask Inkscape -- it's free software; unfortunately, the result is
> rasterized.
>
> e.g.
>
> : inkscape --without-gui --export-text-to-path --export-eps=drawing.eps
> drawing.svg
>
> From a sample 52 KB SVG file, Inkscape gives me a 420 KB EPS and Prince a 20
> KB PDF.

What features does Inkscape rasterize? I just tried a sample file, and
I don't see any rasterization. What takes up room in my test file is
embedded font information.

- Tom

* Re: Re: epresent and Org-mode: using Emacs to run presentations of Org-mode docs
@ 2010-11-02 19:40                   ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2010-11-02 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Short; +Cc: Łukasz Stelmach, Eric S Fraga, emacs-orgmode

Correction:

Inkscape /does/ convert SVG to EPS with vector format.
Of course.

It also does really nice vector export to PDF.

Apologies all round (and to the nice people at Inkscape in
particular), and thanks to Tom Short for setting me straight.

I was fooled by a test drawing that was exported with "fallback"
raster images as well as vector graphics. My viewer (Preview)
apparently showed them and not the scalable vector version. The
fallback images account for the file size I got (I had no text, hence
no embedded fonts), and for the pixellated edges when I scaled up the
image. (This turned out to be fixable by just opening the EPS in Emacs
and cutting out all the fallback images. That also removed transparent
parts and gradients.)

I think maybe the use of transparency, which EPS does not support (or
am I wrong about that too?) was the reason I saw raster images in the
first place. A simple SVG circle was exported to EPS with no fallback.

More on the options here:

http://inkscape.modevia.com/inkscape-man.html

Yours,
Christian

--

@ 2010-11-02 20:05                       ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2010-11-02 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos
  Cc: Łukasz Stelmach, Eric S Fraga, emacs-orgmode, Rainer M Krug

Hi,

Yes, I can confirm batik-rasterizer, despite the name, made nice
vector-based PDF from SVG. Thanks, Nick.

So that's two options now, Inkscape and Batik.

Enough noise from me on this, I think.

Yours,
Christian