* Control loading org-mode
@ 2010-10-27  3:29 Louis Turk
From: Louis Turk @ 2010-10-27  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

  Is there any way to prevent org-agenda files from loading except when
visiting files with the org extension?

Lou

* Re: Control loading org-mode
@ 2010-10-27  4:16 ` Nick Dokos
       [not found]   ` <4CC7AD64.9030002@dayspringpublisher.com>
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-10-27  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis Turk; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Louis Turk <lou@dayspringpublisher.com> wrote:

>   Is there any way to prevent org-agenda files from loading except when
> visiting files with the org extension?

Care to be a bit more explicit?

Thanks,
Nick

* Re: Control loading org-mode
       [not found]     ` <7751.1288157065@gamaville.dokosmarshall.org>
@ 2010-10-27 12:24       ` Louis Turk
From: Louis Turk @ 2010-10-27 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

  On 10/27/2010 01:24 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:
> Louis Turk<lou@dayspringpublisher.com>  wrote:
>
>>    Hi Nick,
>>
>> Thanks for responding.

>>> Care to be a bit more explicit?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Nick
>>>
>> I'm trying to implement this: http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html
>>
>> Everything is fine the first time I load emacs. But if I load a second
>> instance of emacs I get an error:
>>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-locked "/home/lat/org/refile.org"
>> "lat@lat-a-ws (pid 8146)")
>>     signal(file-locked ("/home/lat/org/refile.org" "lat@lat-a-ws (pid
>> 8146)"))
>>     byte-code("\306\211\211\x18\x19\x1a\vG\307V\203\x19
>>
>> This is very irritating, as I often have 4 or 5 instances of emacs open
>> at the same time.
>>
>> So, it would be much better for me is org-mode code didn't try to load
>> at all except when I visit a file with the org extension.
>>
>> Is that possible?
>>
> You probably have a call to org-agenda or org-agenda-list somewhere in
> your initialization file(s). Some people like that because it brings the
> agenda up when emacs is started, but it does lead to the problem you
> encounter. Eliminate it from your init file(s) and make it a habit to
> invoke org-agenda or org-agenda-list explicitly: if you followed the
> manual, the former is bound to C-c a  and the latter is invoked through
> the "a" key in the agenda dispatcher; since I usually start with that,
> I bind it to a convenient key combination -<f7>  <f7>  in my case (<f7>
> is a prefix for a bunch of org-related keys).
>
> HTH,
> Nick

You were right. That fixed it! Many thanks!

Lou