* update of snapshot release broken?
@ 2010-10-24  7:40 Michael Brand
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Michael Brand @ 2010-10-24  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi all

I just noticed that both
http://orgmode.org/org-latest.zip
and
http://orgmode.org/org-latest.tar.gz
provide old files like e. g. org.el from mid of October

Currently I misuse this snapshot to install the exactly same version
at home and at work. I did not find out in reasonable time how to use
git to get the same version again later that was the most recent at
the time of the upgrade on the first machine. I hope there are others
that would also appreciate if someone would add how to do this use
case with git to
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#keeping-current-with-Org-mode-development

Michael

* Re: update of snapshot release broken?
@ 2010-10-24 10:41 ` Jambunathan K
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jambunathan K @ 2010-10-24 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Brand; +Cc: Org Mode

Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all
>
> I just noticed that both
> http://orgmode.org/org-latest.zip
> and
> http://orgmode.org/org-latest.tar.gz
> provide old files like e. g. org.el from mid of October
>
> Currently I misuse this snapshot to install the exactly same version
> at home and at work. I did not find out in reasonable time how to use
> git to get the same version again later that was the most recent at
> the time of the upgrade on the first machine. I hope there are others
> that would also appreciate if someone would add how to do this use
> case with git to
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#keeping-current-with-Org-mode-development

1. Look for snapshot links in
   - http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git.

2. There are ELPA tarballs at
   - http://orgmode.org/pkg/daily/

(2) is currently WIP. Recommend to use (1) till such time.

Jambunathan K.

@ 2010-10-24 10:57   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2010-10-24 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Brand; +Cc: Org Mode

> Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I just noticed that both
>> http://orgmode.org/org-latest.zip
>> and
>> http://orgmode.org/org-latest.tar.gz
>> provide old files like e. g. org.el from mid of October
>>
>> Currently I misuse this snapshot to install the exactly same version
>> at home and at work. I did not find out in reasonable time how to use
>> git to get the same version again later that was the most recent at
>> the time of the upgrade on the first machine. I hope there are others
>> that would also appreciate if someone would add how to do this use
>> case with git to
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#keeping-current-with-Org-mode-development

I think you are keen to have the same versions running on both your home
and work machines.  An easy way to achieve this (without worrying too
much about git) is to download the tarball store it in a safe place so
that you can reuse it at a later point.

Not exactly answering your query. Hope atleast your needs are taken care
of. Why bother about git when you don't have to?

Btw, the need to use git to install latest tarballs would go away in
foreseeable future.

Jambunathan K.

@ 2010-10-24 11:09 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2010-10-24 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Brand; +Cc: Org Mode

Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all
>
> I just noticed that both
> http://orgmode.org/org-latest.zip
> and
> http://orgmode.org/org-latest.tar.gz
> provide old files like e. g. org.el from mid of October
>
> Currently I misuse this snapshot to install the exactly same version
> at home and at work. I did not find out in reasonable time how to use
> git to get the same version again later that was the most recent at
> the time of the upgrade on the first machine. I hope there are others
> that would also appreciate if someone would add how to do this use
> case with git to
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#keeping-current-with-Org-mode-development

Looks like you have pulled from git already. In that case you could
create a snapshot in your work area using the following command.

,---- [from git user manual]
| git archive --format=tar --prefix=project/ HEAD | gzip >latest.tar.gz
`----

Jambunathan K.

@ 2010-10-24 12:19   ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2010-10-24 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Org Mode

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 12:41, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. Look for snapshot links in
>   - http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git.

I'm sorry, I was not able to find such links there.

* Re: update of snapshot release broken?
@ 2010-10-24 12:21   ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2010-10-24 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Org Mode

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 13:09, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
> git archive --format=tar --prefix=project/ HEAD | gzip >latest.tar.gz

Thanks, that helps me already to install the currently very latest
version to a different machine at some time later. But even better for
me would be to git-pull the very latest version on one machine, get
its SHA1 and then do a git-whatever with the same SHA1 at some time
later on another machine to get the same version again.

* Re: update of snapshot release broken?
@ 2010-10-24 12:56 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2010-10-24 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am 24.10.2010 09:40, schrieb Michael Brand:
> Hi all
>
> I just noticed that both
> http://orgmode.org/org-latest.zip
> and
> http://orgmode.org/org-latest.tar.gz
> provide old files like e. g. org.el from mid of October
>
> Currently I misuse this snapshot to install the exactly same version
> at home and at work. I did not find out in reasonable time how to use
> git to get the same version again later that was the most recent at
> the time of the upgrade on the first machine.

Hi,

with `git branch' you should be able to specify a commit, from with
the branch is drawn.

`git log -n 1' should give you the last commit hash,

for example
commit a84186785645652a8daff9e09d81db3d2bb3c5ce

HTH

Andreas

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/python-mode-components
https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

@ 2010-10-24 13:58     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-10-24 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Brand; +Cc: Org Mode, Jambunathan K

Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 13:09, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> git archive --format=tar --prefix=project/ HEAD | gzip >latest.tar.gz
>
> Thanks, that helps me already to install the currently very latest
> version to a different machine at some time later. But even better for
> me would be to git-pull the very latest version on one machine, get
> its SHA1 and then do a git-whatever with the same SHA1 at some time
> later on another machine to get the same version again.

git pull on one machine
git describe to get short SHA1
git checkout SHA1 on other machine
should give you exactly the same codebase on each.

Example:

$ git checkout origin/master # on machine 1
$ git describe
release_7.01h-823-gd600831 # Note SHA1 starting here
                   ^^^^^^^
# SHA1 is d600831

# On other machine
$ git pull # to get up to date code
$ git checkout d600831

And you have the same commit on both machines.

With this method you can also backup and move to any arbitrary commit in
the history -- if you find you have a bug in the current code that was
introduced 5 commits ago, you can back up to a previous commit (the one
before the one introducing the bug) and keep working.

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: update of snapshot release broken?
@ 2010-10-24 15:05     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2010-10-24 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Brand; +Cc: Org Mode

Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 12:41, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 1. Look for snapshot links in
>>   - http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git.
>
> I'm sorry, I was not able to find such links there.

Not sure why it is so.

Base URL: http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git/snapshot

1. HEAD: ./d600831eb70a0c87fca493f1e367193b88844137.tar.gz
2. PARENT: ./987beb627715c7645be1055c055e001283f866dc.tar.gz
3. GRANDPARENT: ./94f2f59a9379814b0235826c1c19ceb4bc698f49.tar.gz

Good thing is that you can see what magic number contains the latest fix
that you are currently interested in. All this without issuing a single
git command.

Jambunathan K.

* Re: update of snapshot release broken?
@ 2010-10-24 17:44       ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2010-10-24 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Org Mode

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 15:58, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
> git pull on one machine
> git describe to get short SHA1
> git checkout SHA1 on other machine
> should give you exactly the same codebase on each.
> [...]
> HTH,

Yes, exactly what I have been looking for, thank you for the description.

* Re: update of snapshot release broken?
@ 2010-10-24 19:12       ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2010-10-24 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Org Mode

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 17:05, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 12:41, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 1. Look for snapshot links in
>>>   - http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git.
>> I'm sorry, I was not able to find such links there.
>
> Not sure why it is so.
>
> Base URL: http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git/snapshot
>
> 1. HEAD: ./d600831eb70a0c87fca493f1e367193b88844137.tar.gz
> 2. PARENT: ./987beb627715c7645be1055c055e001283f866dc.tar.gz
> 3. GRANDPARENT: ./94f2f59a9379814b0235826c1c19ceb4bc698f49.tar.gz
>
> Good thing is that you can see what magic number contains the latest fix
> that you are currently interested in. All this without issuing a single
> git command.

Ah, now I see. The links at most right on each row of the shortlog.
Thank you for the explanation, this is really useful if git is not
available.

* Re: update of snapshot release broken?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-10-27 22:10 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-10-27 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Brand; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Michael,

Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com> writes:

> I just noticed that both
> http://orgmode.org/org-latest.zip
> and
> http://orgmode.org/org-latest.tar.gz
> provide old files like e. g. org.el from mid of October

Should be fixed now.

We have:

  http://orgmode.org/org-latest.zip
  http://orgmode.org/org-latest.tar.gz

updated from the latest git repo every four hours, excluding .git files.

And:

  http://orgmode.org/pkg/daily/

with new org-20101027.tar every day, as built with "make pkg".

The directory in each archive should now be "org-mode" instead of
"org-mode-web" as it was before.

Please report any problem.

--
 Bastien