* numbered outlines?
@ 2010-10-19 22:40 David Rogoff
From: David Rogoff @ 2010-10-19 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sorry if this is obvious, but I couldn't find anything on it.
orgmode's use of asterisks for outline levels is fine when I'm working
on something by myself.  However, if I'm collaborating with other
people, there's no good way to reference a particular outline entry.  Is
there a way to get org-mode to use numbering (e.g. 1, 1.1, 1.1.1 ) for
outline levels?  If not, how can you work with other people on an outline?

Thanks,

  David

* numbered outlines?
@ 2010-10-20 19:20 ` David Rogoff
From: David Rogoff @ 2010-10-20 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sorry if this is obvious, but I couldn't find anything on it.
orgmode's use of asterisks for outline levels is fine when I'm working
on something by myself.  However, if I'm collaborating with other
people, there's no good way to reference a particular outline entry.  Is
there a way to get org-mode to use numbering (e.g. 1, 1.1, 1.1.1 ) for
outline levels?  If not, how can you work with other people on an outline?

FYI, I'm running org-mode 6.33x in emacs 23.2.1 Mac/Linux/WinXP

Thanks,

  David

* Re: numbered outlines?
@ 2010-10-21  0:44 ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-21  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Rogoff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I don't know if it is an ideal solution, but you can export to ASCII
using `C-c C-e a` which will dump an ascii text file with the name
"filename.txt" into the same directory as "filename.org".

Outlines will have numbers in the text file.

HTH,
Jeff

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 6:40 PM, David Rogoff <david@cox.net> wrote:
> Sorry if this is obvious, but I couldn't find anything on it.   orgmode's
> use of asterisks for outline levels is fine when I'm working on something by
> myself.  However, if I'm collaborating with other people, there's no good
> way to reference a particular outline entry.  Is there a way to get org-mode
> to use numbering (e.g. 1, 1.1, 1.1.1 ) for outline levels?  If not, how can
> you work with other people on an outline?
>
> Thanks,
>
>  David

Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics
George Mason University

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: numbered outlines?
@ 2010-10-21  1:02   ` David Rogoff
From: David Rogoff @ 2010-10-21  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, David Rogoff

Thanks - that might do the job.  Native would be best, of course.

Jeff Horn wrote:
> I don't know if it is an ideal solution, but you can export to ASCII
> using `C-c C-e a` which will dump an ascii text file with the name
> "filename.txt" into the same directory as "filename.org".
>
> Outlines will have numbers in the text file.
>
> HTH,
> Jeff
>
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 6:40 PM, David Rogoff<david@cox.net>  wrote:
>> Sorry if this is obvious, but I couldn't find anything on it.   orgmode's
>> use of asterisks for outline levels is fine when I'm working on something by
>> myself.  However, if I'm collaborating with other people, there's no good
>> way to reference a particular outline entry.  Is there a way to get org-mode
>> to use numbering (e.g. 1, 1.1, 1.1.1 ) for outline levels?  If not, how can
>> you work with other people on an outline?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>   David

* Re: numbered outlines?
@ 2010-10-21  1:44   ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-10-21  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Rogoff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

David Rogoff <david@cox.net> writes:

> Sorry if this is obvious, but I couldn't find anything on it.
> orgmode's use of asterisks for outline levels is fine when I'm working
> on something by myself.  However, if I'm collaborating with other
> people, there's no good way to reference a particular outline entry.
> Is there a way to get org-mode to use numbering (e.g. 1, 1.1, 1.1.1 )
> for outline levels?  If not, how can you work with other people on an
> outline?
>
> FYI, I'm running org-mode 6.33x in emacs 23.2.1 Mac/Linux/WinXP

AFAIK, org-mode cannot number section headings on the fly.

Are your collaborators working in emacs/org-mode? If not exporting the
outline will normally result in numbered sections. Of course, it would
be a bit harder work collaboratively on the html and then get it back
into org-mode. :)

One way to create fixed, human-readable references for outline headings
is to use the CUSTOM_ID property.

(info "(org) Internal links")

Best,
Matt

* Re: numbered outlines?
@ 2010-10-21 16:05     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-21 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Rogoff; +Cc: Jeff Horn, emacs-orgmode, David Rogoff

On Oct 21, 2010, at 3:02 AM, David Rogoff wrote:

> Thanks - that might do the job.  Native would be best, of course.

This could be implemented as a little module.  One could just
run through the outline and put overlays on the stars showing the
numbers.

Looking for a fun little project, anyone? :-)

- Carsten

> Jeff Horn wrote:
>>
>> I don't know if it is an ideal solution, but you can export to ASCII
>> using `C-c C-e a` which will dump an ascii text file with the name
>> "filename.txt" into the same directory as "filename.org".
>>
>> Outlines will have numbers in the text file.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Jeff
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 6:40 PM, David Rogoff <david@cox.net> wrote:
>>> Sorry if this is obvious, but I couldn't find anything on it.
>>> orgmode's
>>> use of asterisks for outline levels is fine when I'm working on
>>> something by
>>> myself.  However, if I'm collaborating with other people, there's
>>> no good
>>> way to reference a particular outline entry.  Is there a way to
>>> get org-mode
>>> to use numbering (e.g. 1, 1.1, 1.1.1 ) for outline levels?  If
>>> not, how can
>>> you work with other people on an outline?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>>  David

* Re: numbered outlines?
@ 2010-10-21 17:38     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-21 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Rogoff; +Cc: Jeff Horn, emacs-orgmode, David Rogoff

On Oct 21, 2010, at 3:02 AM, David Rogoff wrote:

> Thanks - that might do the job.  Native would be best, of course.

This could be implemented as a little module.  One could just
run through the outline and put overlays on the stars showing the
numbers.

Looking for a fun little project, anyone? :-)

- Carsten

> Jeff Horn wrote:
>>
>> I don't know if it is an ideal solution, but you can export to ASCII
>> using `C-c C-e a` which will dump an ascii text file with the name
>> "filename.txt" into the same directory as "filename.org".
>>
>> Outlines will have numbers in the text file.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Jeff
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 6:40 PM, David Rogoff <david@cox.net> wrote:
>>> Sorry if this is obvious, but I couldn't find anything on it.
>>> orgmode's
>>> use of asterisks for outline levels is fine when I'm working on
>>> something by
>>> myself.  However, if I'm collaborating with other people, there's
>>> no good
>>> way to reference a particular outline entry.  Is there a way to
>>> get org-mode
>>> to use numbering (e.g. 1, 1.1, 1.1.1 ) for outline levels?  If
>>> not, how can
>>> you work with other people on an outline?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> David

* Re: numbered outlines?
@ 2010-10-21 18:25       ` David Rogoff
From: David Rogoff @ 2010-10-21 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2010, at 3:02 AM, David Rogoff wrote:
>
>> Thanks - that might do the job.  Native would be best, of course.
>
> This could be implemented as a little module.  One could just
> run through the outline and put overlays on the stars showing the
> numbers.
>
> Looking for a fun little project, anyone? :-)
I'd do it, but I'm a hardware guy and my elisp expertise is really minimal!