From: Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
To: Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Unable to export babel results
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:46:56 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi Eric,

On Tuesday 19 October 2010 06:36 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:
> Suvayu Ali<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>  writes:
>>
>> I just updated to the master HEAD, still no luck. Before and after
>> updating I get this, "Org-mode version 7.01trans". I don't know why I
>> have never seen the part within the parentheses before.
>>

> The part within parenthesis is pulled directly from the git repository
> with the command
>
>    git describe --abbrev=4 HEAD
>
> Do you have git installed on your system?  If you do (which I'd think
> you'd have to in order to have made it this far) then I'm not sure why
> your org-version command doesn't include a part in parenthesis.  If you
> really wanted to dig into this you could;
> 1) call describe-function on the `org-version' function
> 2) evaluate org-version with edebug by pressing C-u C-M-x
> 3) call the function with M-x org-version
> 4) and then step through the function by repeatedly pressing space-bar
>     to see why it is failing to call git

Yes I have git on my system, I use it fairly regularly for my research
projects. I see that `org-version' looks for git repository in the
toplevel install directory (/opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs/site-lisp/org)
and it doesn't find it. Which is expected because my install directory
and my build directory (i.e. the git repository) are different. How do I
make it look at the build directory (~/build/org-mode) instead?

> It might be worthwhile removing the old install under
> share/emacs/site-lisp
>

>> FWIW, I have this same issue on a similar Ubuntu 10.04 installation of
>> Emacs 24 and org-mode HEAD.
>>

> Hmm, I'm still leaning towards thinking that this could be an
> installation issue.  I'd try cleaning up old versions of org-mode and
> your load-path until you manage to get something like the following out
> of the org-version command
>
>    Org-mode version 7.01trans (release_7.01h.718.g0cb3c5)
>
> My guess is that once you get there the problem will be fixed.

I removed my entire Emacs 24 install, reinstalled it in
/opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs. Then installed org-mode in
/opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs/site-lisp/org. Then I put a site-start file
called org-mode.el in /opt/emacs-lisp/share/emacs/site-lisp with the
following contents:

> (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "org"))
>
> (require 'org-install)
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))

On restarting Emacs and calling org-version, I get "Org-mode version
7.01trans". There shouldn't be any mixed files after all this. The
problem still persists. Does that mean I am doing the installation wrong?

> also, if nothing else works, another unrelated thing to try is setting
> org-confirm-babel-evaluate to nil (just temporarily)
>
>    (setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)

That doesn't help. Which is probably good. :)

Suvayu