* Nested exports - Exporting a "sub.org" file while exporting "main.org"
@ 2010-09-14 11:34 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-09-14 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I want to export a subdocument (sub.org) while exporting a main document
(main.org), but I am getting an
"Args out of range: 0,0"
error message after the sub.org document is exported.

Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible to have nested exports?

Example:
- -----begin-main.org------
* Generate Report
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :exports results :results output silent
  (switch-to-buffer (find-file-noselect "sub.org"))
  (org-export-as-html nil)
#+end_src
- -------end-main.org------

- ------begin-sub.org------
* This is a test report
- --------end-sub.org------

org-mode version: Org-mode version 7.01trans (release_7.01h.502.gc464)
emacs version:    GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
Ubuntu - Lucid

Rainer
- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Natural Sciences Building
Office Suite 2039
Stellenbosch University
Main Campus, Merriman Avenue
Stellenbosch
South Africa

Tel:        +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +27 - (0)8 39 47 90 42
Fax (SA):   +27 - (0)8 65 16 27 82
Fax (D) :   +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44
Fax (FR):   +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44
email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: Nested exports - Exporting a "sub.org" file while exporting "main.org"
@ 2010-09-14 16:21 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-09-14 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi
>
> I want to export a subdocument (sub.org) while exporting a main document
> (main.org), but I am getting an
> "Args out of range: 0,0"
> error message after the sub.org document is exported.
>
> Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible to have nested exports?

Hi Rainer,

in Org mode you would rather set up a special publishing project for
such a task:

(setq org-publish-project-alist
      '(("main-and-sub"
         :base-directory "~/org/"
         :auto-sitemap nil      ; NO sitemap for this project !!
         :recursive t
         :base-extension "org"
         :publishing-directory "~/public_html/org/"
         :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html
         )
        ("one-more-project"
         ;;...
         )))

See also:

    http://orgmode.org/manual/Publishing.html#Publishing

This describes my publishing setup:

    http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-publish-html-tutorial.php

Best wishes

   Sebastian

* Re: Nested exports - Exporting a "sub.org" file while exporting "main.org"
@ 2010-09-14 18:57   ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-09-14 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Sebastian,

Sebastian Rose wrote:
> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>
>> I want to export a subdocument (sub.org) while exporting a main document
>> (main.org), but I am getting an
>> "Args out of range: 0,0"
>> error message after the sub.org document is exported.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible to have nested exports?
>
> in Org mode you would rather set up a special publishing project for
> such a task:
>
> (setq org-publish-project-alist [...]

Rainer talks of exporting, hence the PDFLaTeX route, if he uses the right
vocabulary.

I have a serious impression that it's related to what I experience myself
since a couple of days with LaTeX. Exactly the same message, in any case. See
my post on http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org/msg30148.html.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Nested exports - Exporting a "sub.org" file while exporting "main.org"
@ 2010-09-14 18:58   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-09-14 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 14/09/10 18:21, Sebastian Rose wrote:
> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>> Hi
>>
>> I want to export a subdocument (sub.org) while exporting a main document
>> (main.org), but I am getting an
>> "Args out of range: 0,0"
>> error message after the sub.org document is exported.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible to have nested exports?
>
> Hi Rainer,
>

> in Org mode you would rather set up a special publishing project for
> such a task:
>
> (setq org-publish-project-alist
>       '(("main-and-sub"
>          :base-directory "~/org/"
>          :auto-sitemap nil      ; NO sitemap for this project !!
>          :recursive t
>          :base-extension "org"
>          :publishing-directory "~/public_html/org/"
>          :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html
>          )
>         ("one-more-project"
>          ;;...
>          )))
>
> See also:
>
>     http://orgmode.org/manual/Publishing.html#Publishing
>
> This describes my publishing setup:
>
>     http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-publish-html-tutorial.php

Hi Sebastian

yes - I guess that is exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks a lot,

Rainer

> Best wishes
>
>    Sebastian

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Natural Sciences Building
Office Suite 2039
Stellenbosch University
Main Campus, Merriman Avenue
Stellenbosch
South Africa

Tel:        +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +27 - (0)8 39 47 90 42
Fax (SA):   +27 - (0)8 65 16 27 82
Fax (D) :   +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44
Fax (FR):   +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44
email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: Re: Nested exports - Exporting a "sub.org" file while exporting "main.org"
@ 2010-09-15  7:35     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-09-15  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 14/09/10 20:57, Sébastien Vauban wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> Sebastian Rose wrote:
>> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>> I want to export a subdocument (sub.org) while exporting a main document
>>> (main.org), but I am getting an
>>> "Args out of range: 0,0"
>>> error message after the sub.org document is exported.
>>>
>>> Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible to have nested exports?
>>
>> in Org mode you would rather set up a special publishing project for
>> such a task:
>>
>> (setq org-publish-project-alist [...]
>
> Rainer talks of exporting, hence the PDFLaTeX route, if he uses the right
> vocabulary.

I was actually thinking about export to html, but the same error occurs
when exporting to pdf.

Rainer

> I have a serious impression that it's related to what I experience myself
> since a couple of days with LaTeX. Exactly the same message, in any case. See
> my post on http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg30148.html.
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb

- --

@ 2010-09-15  9:23       ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-09-15  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Rainer,

Rainer M Krug wrote:
> On 14/09/10 20:57, Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>> Sebastian Rose wrote:

>>> in Org mode you would rather set up a special publishing project for such
>>> a task:
>>>
>>> (setq org-publish-project-alist [...]
>>
>> Rainer talks of exporting, hence the PDFLaTeX route, if he uses the right
>> vocabulary.
>>
>> I have a serious impression that it's related to what I experience myself
>> since a couple of days with LaTeX. Exactly the same message, in any case. See
>> my post on http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org/msg30148.html.
>
> I was actually thinking about export to html, but the same error occurs when
> exporting to pdf.

So, you still can't export to PDF, because of that same message, right?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Re: Nested exports - Exporting a "sub.org" file while exporting "main.org"
@ 2010-09-15  9:43         ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-09-15  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 15/09/10 11:23, Sébastien Vauban wrote:
> Hi Rainer,
>
> Rainer M Krug wrote:

>>> Rainer talks of exporting, hence the PDFLaTeX route, if he uses the right
>>> vocabulary.
>>>
>>> I have a serious impression that it's related to what I experience myself
>>> since a couple of days with LaTeX. Exactly the same message, in any case. See
>>> my post on http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg30148.html.
>>
>> I was actually thinking about export to html, but the same error occurs when
>> exporting to pdf.
>
> So, you still can't export to PDF, because of that same message, right?

I can export a .org file to pdf and html, but when I have "nested
exports", i.e. when I have in one org file which I want to export to
html or pdf, the following:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :exports none :results silent
  (switch-to-buffer (find-file-noselect "rep.sim.org"))
  (org-export-as-pdf-and-open nil)
  (org-export-as-html-and-open nil)
  (kill-buffer "rep.sim.org")
#+end_src

it aborts after executing the code block (i.e. rep.sim.org is exported
to html as well as pdf) with the

byte-code: Args out of range: 0, 0

error. So I assume, it is something different.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Best regards,
>   Seb