* Archive Tasks
@ 2010-08-14 11:37 Karl Maihofer
From: Karl Maihofer @ 2010-08-14 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Org-Users,

I have a problem to archive my tasks. What should the row ":ARCHIVE:"
look like, so that my "Task One" will be archived under "Tasks - Client
1" (see example below)?

Thanks a lot!

Karl

My structure in gtd.org:
* Tasks
** Client 1
*** DONE Task One
    :PROPERTIES:
    :ARCHIVE: %s_archive::* Tasks ???????
    :END:
*** TODO Task Two
** Client 2
*** TODO Task Three

gtd.org_archive should look the same:
* Tasks
** Client 1
*** DONE Task One

* Re: Archive Tasks
@ 2010-08-16 18:07 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-08-16 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Maihofer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Karl,

Karl Maihofer <ignoramus@gmx.de> writes:

> I have a problem to archive my tasks. What should the row ":ARCHIVE:"
> look like, so that my "Task One" will be archived under "Tasks - Client
> 1" (see example below)?

    :ARCHIVE: %s_archive::** Client 1

should work.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Archive Tasks
@ 2010-08-18  5:06   ` Karl Maihofer
From: Karl Maihofer @ 2010-08-18  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien,

thanks for your reply! I think this works if there is already an entry
"Client 1" in the file gtd.org_archive. But if the task is the first one
that should be archived, org doesn't know that this should be on the
second level:

* Tasks
** Client 1

Is there a way to tell org, that there should be a first level called
"Tasks" and a second called "Client 1"?

Regards,
Karl

Am 16.08.10 20:07, schrieb Bastien:
> Hi Karl,
>
> Karl Maihofer <ignoramus@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> I have a problem to archive my tasks. What should the row ":ARCHIVE:"
>> look like, so that my "Task One" will be archived under "Tasks - Client
>> 1" (see example below)?
>
>     :ARCHIVE: %s_archive::** Client 1
>
> should work.

* Re: Archive Tasks
@ 2010-08-18  5:22     ` Puneeth
From: Puneeth @ 2010-08-18  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Maihofer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Karl,

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Karl Maihofer <ignoramus@gmx.de> wrote:
> Is there a way to tell org, that there should be a first level called
> "Tasks" and a second called "Client 1"?

Bernt's setup describes how to do this.

http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#OrgFileStructure

-- Puneeth

* Re: Archive Tasks
@ 2010-08-18  8:36       ` Karl Maihofer
From: Karl Maihofer @ 2010-08-18  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for your reply!

I think this is not what i am looking for. Quote from Bernt: "This
ensures that any level 2 task that I archive from this heading (I
archive by subtree) gets saved in the archive file under the appropriate
level 1 heading.."

My problem is, that i have level 3 tasks.

file: main.org
* Tasks
** Client X
   :PROPERTIES:
   :ARCHIVE:  %s_archive::** Client X
   :END:
*** DONE Task Client X
** Client Y
   :PROPERTIES:
   :ARCHIVE:  %s_archive::** Client Y
   :END:
*** DONE Task Client Y
file: main.org_archive
* Tasks
** Client A
** Client X
** Client Z

* Whatever

The first Task (Task Client X) will now be archived correctly. But only
because there is already a heading "Client X" in my archive file (and
only one heading "Client X"). The second task will be archived at the
end of the archive file, but not under the first level heading "Tasks".

With the current setup i have to make sure
- that there is already a heading for every client in my archive file and
- that there is only one heading with that name

It would be great if i could tell org, that my level 3 tasks should be
archived under * Tasks -> ** Client X, so that Org will create the
heading "client X" itself (and the heading "Tasks", too, if it doesn't
already exist) at the right position in my archive file.

Any ideas?

Karl