* Listing todos which have other todos in the subtree in the agenda
@ 2010-08-13  8:10 Jan Böcker
From: Jan Böcker @ 2010-08-13  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I have a projects.org file with entries like this:

* PROJECT Find the answer to life, the universe and everything
* PROJECT World Domination
*** NEXT build Doomsday Device

(where PROJECT and NEXT are both defined as todo keywords.)

I'd like to define a custom agenda view to get a project list. I tried a
"TAGS search" for '+TODO="PROJECT"'. My problem is that the "World
Domination" project is not shown, because the todo is blocked by the
"build Doomsday Device" next action. I tried setting
`org-enforce-todo-dependencies' to nil in the local settings for the
agenda command, but that did not help.

Setting `org-todo-keywords' to '((sequence "PROJECT")) also did not help.

I'd appreciate any ideas on how to achieve a list of all my projects,
regardless of whether they have next actions defined or not.

(Simply looking at the projects.org file is not enough, as I plan to
make a block agenda which shows projects in groups which have specific
tags, i.e. active (untagged) projects first, then those tagged
SUSPENDED, then SOMEDAY, then MAYBE.)

Thanks in advance,
  Jan

* Re: Listing todos which have other todos in the subtree in the agenda
@ 2010-08-13 16:10 ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-08-13 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Böcker; +Cc: Org Mode

Jan Böcker wrote:
>I have a projects.org file with entries like this:

>* PROJECT Find the answer to life, the universe and everything
>* PROJECT World Domination
>*** NEXT build Doomsday Device

>(where PROJECT and NEXT are both defined as todo keywords.)

>I'd like to define a custom agenda view to get a project list. I tried a
>"TAGS search" for '+TODO="PROJECT"'. My problem is that the "World
>Domination" project is not shown, because the todo is blocked by the
>"build Doomsday Device" next action. I tried setting
>`org-enforce-todo-dependencies' to nil in the local settings for the
>agenda command, but that did not help.

>Setting `org-todo-keywords' to '((sequence "PROJECT")) also did not help.

>I'd appreciate any ideas on how to achieve a list of all my projects,
>regardless of whether they have next actions defined or not.

Bernt's "Org Mode - Organize Your Life In Plain Text!"
(http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html) might be a good starting point.
Especially

 - 6 Custom agenda views -and-

 - 12.2 Project definition and finding stuck projects

A simple check in `bh/is-project-p' if the entry has the PROJECT
keyword should do the job.

HTH,
  -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: Listing todos which have other todos in the subtree in the agenda
@ 2010-08-13 20:47   ` Jan Böcker
From: Jan Böcker @ 2010-08-13 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus; +Cc: Org Mode

On 08/13/2010 06:10 PM, David Maus wrote:
> Jan Böcker wrote:
>> I have a projects.org file with entries like this:
>
>> * PROJECT Find the answer to life, the universe and everything
>> * PROJECT World Domination
>> *** NEXT build Doomsday Device
>
>> (where PROJECT and NEXT are both defined as todo keywords.)
>
>> I'd like to define a custom agenda view to get a project list. I tried a
>> "TAGS search" for '+TODO="PROJECT"'. My problem is that the "World
>> Domination" project is not shown, because the todo is blocked by the
>> "build Doomsday Device" next action. I tried setting
>> `org-enforce-todo-dependencies' to nil in the local settings for the
>> agenda command, but that did not help.
>
>> Setting `org-todo-keywords' to '((sequence "PROJECT")) also did not help.
>
>> I'd appreciate any ideas on how to achieve a list of all my projects,
>> regardless of whether they have next actions defined or not.
>
> Bernt's "Org Mode - Organize Your Life In Plain Text!"
> (http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html) might be a good starting point.
> Especially
>
>  - 6 Custom agenda views -and-
>
>  - 12.2 Project definition and finding stuck projects
>
> A simple check in `bh/is-project-p' if the entry has the PROJECT
> keyword should do the job.
>
> HTH,
>   -- David

Thanks for the pointer -- although experimenting with custom skip
functions did not solve my problem, by reading Bernt's document I
discovered speed keys :)

It turned out the culprit was `org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks', which I
had set to 'invisible soon after I started using Org-mode. Setting that
to nil in the "Settings for the entire command set" of the block agenda
view does what I want.

And now that I know about custom skip functions, I can move stuck
projects to their own section in the project list.

~ Jan