* Finally jekyll and org-jekyll
@ 2010-08-11 16:41 Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-08-11 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've been struggling for already too much time and I really don't get
anywhere the few informations I need.

I want to finally build my page with jekyll and org-mode, and I also
have org-jekyll which looks pretty cool, but anything I tried until now
didn't work

The question basically is, what do I have to write myself and what will
be automatically written?

I see that jekyll wants something like this below, but do I need to
define alli those things even using org-jekyll?

I also tried the test example in org-jekyll but all I get is the same
files repeated again in the directory.

|-- _config.yml
|-- _layouts
|   |-- default.html
|   `-- post.html
|-- _posts
|   |-- 2007-10-29-why-every-programmer-should-play-nethack.textile
|   `-- 2009-04-26-barcamp-boston-4-roundup.textile
|-- _site
`-- index.html

Any simple in two words explanation that could finally enlighten me
please?
Thanks a lot

* Re: Finally jekyll and org-jekyll
@ 2010-08-11 20:55 ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2010-08-11 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 11/08/10 17:41, Andrea Crotti wrote:
> I've been struggling for already too much time and I really don't get
> anywhere the few informations I need.
>
> I want to finally build my page with jekyll and org-mode, and I also
> have org-jekyll which looks pretty cool, but anything I tried until now
> didn't work
>
> The question basically is, what do I have to write myself and what will
> be automatically written?
>
> I see that jekyll wants something like this below, but do I need to
> define alli those things even using org-jekyll?
>
> I also tried the test example in org-jekyll but all I get is the same
> files repeated again in the directory.

> |-- _config.yml
> |-- _layouts
> |   |-- default.html
> |   `-- post.html
> |-- _posts
> |   |-- 2007-10-29-why-every-programmer-should-play-nethack.textile
> |   `-- 2009-04-26-barcamp-boston-4-roundup.textile
> |-- _site
> `-- index.html
>
> Any simple in two words explanation that could finally enlighten me
> please?
> Thanks a lot

Hi Andrea,

I don't use org-jekyll myself. You can view my tutorial on the way I di
it at http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-jekyll.php . Basically
what you need to do is to organize your system so that org publishes
your .org files to html in a place that jekyll can process them.

Are you trying to write a blog ie. posts ordered in date format, or a
static web site, or a combination of both? If you can tell me exactly
what you want to achieve, I'll try and help out.

Ian.

* Re: Finally jekyll and org-jekyll
@ 2010-08-12  8:04   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-08-12  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> writes:

> Hi Andrea,
>
> I don't use org-jekyll myself. You can view my tutorial on the way I
> di it at http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-jekyll.php
> . Basically what you need to do is to organize your system so that org
> publishes your .org files to html in a place that jekyll can process
> them.
>
> Are you trying to write a blog ie. posts ordered in date format, or a
> static web site, or a combination of both? If you can tell me exactly
> what you want to achieve, I'll try and help out.
>
> Ian.

Thanks, I would like to have a mixed approach, but also just a blog with
articles might be perfectly fine for now.

So reading again I think I got it, I create the index.html showing the
lasts posts (for example), I eventually add some CSS and then I export
the org-files in the right place.

Org-jekyll helps giving the right name to the html files so that is
automatically recognized by jekyll.
Then I want to export it to github pages, but that should be already
set up correctly.

Is that correct?
A not about the tutorial (which is very clear): you should quote the "_"
otherwise, like
\_posts or project\_name
for example.

Thanks a lot

* Re: Re: Finally jekyll and org-jekyll
@ 2010-08-12 11:34     ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2010-08-12 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 12/08/10 09:04, Andrea Crotti wrote:
> Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> writes:
>

>> Hi Andrea,
>>
>> I don't use org-jekyll myself. You can view my tutorial on the way I
>> di it at http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-jekyll.php
>> . Basically what you need to do is to organize your system so that org
>> publishes your .org files to html in a place that jekyll can process
>> them.
>>
>> Are you trying to write a blog ie. posts ordered in date format, or a
>> static web site, or a combination of both? If you can tell me exactly
>> what you want to achieve, I'll try and help out.
>>
>> Ian.
>
> Thanks, I would like to have a mixed approach, but also just a blog with
> articles might be perfectly fine for now.
>
> So reading again I think I got it, I create the index.html showing the
> lasts posts (for example), I eventually add some CSS and then I export
> the org-files in the right place.
>
> Org-jekyll helps giving the right name to the html files so that is
> automatically recognized by jekyll.
> Then I want to export it to github pages, but that should be already
> set up correctly.
>
> Is that correct?
> A not about the tutorial (which is very clear): you should quote the "_"
> otherwise, like
> \_posts or project\_name
> for example.

That's right, you are basically using org-publish to create the html
files and put them in the correct directory for jekyll to process.

It's easy to create a mixed site. You need to create separate jekyll
layouts for the static part and the blog part. In the blog index layout
you want something like;

{% for post in site.categories.blog %}
  {% if post.categories contains 'mountaineering' %}
}}</li>

  {% endif %}

{% endfor %}

In your org file you would have:

#+BEGIN_HTML
---
title: Montane Terra Pants.
layout: post
categories: [blog, mountaineering]
excerpt: "Montane Terras are lightweight walking-climbing trousers, with
several neat features."

comments: true
---
#+END_HTML

This would create a page which displayed posts categorized as blog and
mountaineering.

Ian.