* how to show all subheadings of "current level +1", then all of  "current level +2" etc.
@ 2010-08-04 12:23 Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-08-04 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

on any heading in an org file I can easily see all sub headings with C-c C-k.
Is there a possibility to easily see only the sub headings of the next level and nothing more?
And then all headings of the next sub level? And so on?!

Motivation:
C-c C-k can easily show far too many headings.
It would be good to be able to incrementally step into the heading tree ...

Thanks,
Rainer

* Re: how to show all subheadings of "current level +1", then all of "current level +2" etc.
@ 2010-08-04 20:45 ` Juri Krivov
From: Juri Krivov @ 2010-08-04 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rainer,

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Rainer Stengele
<rainer.stengele@diplan.de>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> on any heading in an org file I can easily see all sub headings with C-c
> C-k.
> Is there a possibility to easily see only the sub headings of the next
> level and nothing more?
> And then all headings of the next sub level? And so on?!
>
> Motivation:
> C-c C-k can easily show far too many headings.
> It would be good to be able to incrementally step into the heading tree ...

I use TAB for digging down hierarchy.  But this is so obvious that you
probably
mean something else....?
Greetings
Juri

* Re: how to show all subheadings of "current level +1", then all of "current level +2" etc.
@ 2010-08-04 20:52   ` Fernando Naufel do Amaral
From: Fernando Naufel do Amaral @ 2010-08-04 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Use show-children with a prefix argument.

From the docs:

  show-children is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `outline.el'.
  (show-children &optional level)

  Show all direct subheadings of this heading.
  Prefix arg level is how many levels below the current level should be shown.

Fernando Náufel, D.Sc.
fnaufel@ic.uff.br
http://fnaufel.wordpress.com
http://www.uff.br/llarc

Professor Adjunto
(~Professor Doctor -- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor#Brazil)
LLaRC - Laboratório de Lógica e Representação do Conhecimento
DCT - Depto. de Ciência e Tecnologia
PURO - Pólo Universitário de Rio das Ostras
UFF - Universidade Federal Fluminense
Brazil
--

@ 2010-08-05  7:50   ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-08-05  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Krivov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

 Hi Juri,

TAB works like

,-> FOLDED -> CHILDREN -> SUBTREE --.
'-----------------------------------'

what I want is something like

FOLDED (headline level n) -> CHILDREN (headline level n+1) -> CHILDREN (headline level n+2) -> ... SUBTREE

and maybe the other direction  also ..

Best,
Rainer

@ 2010-08-05 11:35     ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-08-05 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Fernando, thank you.

Excellent! Couldn't find that in the org manual.
Maybe its worth including it?

Rainer

@ 2010-08-06  9:33     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-08-06  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: Juri Krivov, emacs-orgmode

Hi Rainer,

Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> writes:

> FOLDED (headline level n) -> CHILDREN (headline level n+1) -> CHILDREN
> (headline level n+2) -> ... SUBTREE

My feeling is that this would be too much.

Maybe what you need si simply to *navigate* among items, not to (un)fold
them.  Speedy keys make it very convenient: use `n' to go to the next
heading, `c' to cycle thru.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: how to show all subheadings of "current level +1", then  all of "current level +2" etc.
@ 2010-08-06  9:56       ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-08-06  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Juri Krivov, emacs-orgmode

 Hi Bastien,

navigation is not the issue in my case.
It is simply to have to see all subheadings and contents in one step.

Imagine having:

* IT Projects
** Project 1
*** 2009
**** 01
***** Meeting on [2010-01-04 Mo]
****** participants
****** topics
******* subtopic 1
******* subtopic 2
******* ...
****** open issues
******* general
******* specific
******* ...
****** ...
***** Meeting on [2010-01-11 Mo]
***** Meeting on [2010-01-18 Mo]
***** Meeting on [2010-01-25 Mo]
**** 02
***** Meeting on [2010-02-01 Mo]
***** Meeting on [2010-02-08 Mo]
***** Meeting on [2010-02-15 Mo]
***** Meeting on [2010-02-22 Mo]
**** 03
**** 12
*** 2010
** Project 2
*** 2009
**** 01
***** Meeting on [2010-01-04 Mo]
****** participants
****** topics
******* subtopic 1
******* subtopic 2
******* ...
****** open issues
******* general
******* specific
******* ...
****** ...
***** Meeting on [2010-01-11 Mo]
***** Meeting on [2010-01-18 Mo]
***** Meeting on [2010-01-25 Mo]
**** 02
***** Meeting on [2010-02-01 Mo]
***** Meeting on [2010-02-08 Mo]
***** Meeting on [2010-02-15 Mo]
***** Meeting on [2010-02-22 Mo]
**** 03
**** 12
*** 2010

With current folding standards <TAB> what you get today is:

* IT Projects

then

* IT Projects
** Project 1
** Project 2

and then ... all!

wouldn't it be nice to be able to easily step into:

* IT Projects
** Project 1
*** 2009
*** 2010
** Project 2
*** 2009
*** 2010

and then into the next level etc.
As already said, I can achieve this with "<number> C-c <TAB>"
but this is not an easy "shift in and out" solution, I have to "count" the levels by myself and provide it in the command.

Thanks for considering,

Rainer

@ 2010-08-17 18:32         ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2010-08-17 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: Juri Krivov, emacs-orgmode, Bastien

Hi Rainer

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 11:56, Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> wrote:
> As already said, I can achieve this with "<number> C-c <TAB>"
> but this is not an easy "shift in and out" solution, I have to "count" the
> levels by myself and provide it in the command.

I think you are looking for almost exactly the depth stepping which I
have described and implemented here:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/17581
Please let us know what you think about it.

My implementation shows the same level always for _all_ headings in the
file. Showing or hiding more or less levels for only the _current_
heading as I understand you would like, is too hard for me to implement
without help.

Michael

* Re: how to show all subheadings of "current level +1", then all of "current level +2" etc.
@ 2010-09-01 17:13           ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2010-09-01 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: hsitz, emacs-orgmode

Hi Rainer

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 20:32, Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com> wrote:
> My implementation shows the same level always for _all_ headings in the
> file. Showing or hiding more or less levels for only the _current_
> heading as I understand you would like, is too hard for me to implement
> without help.

It was not that hard for me to eliminate this limitation, see
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/17581/focus=29518

Michael

* Re: how to show all subheadings of "current level +1", then all of "current level +2" etc.
@ 2010-09-30 13:41             ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-09-30 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: hsitz, emacs-orgmode

Hi Michael,

Am 01.09.2010 19:13, schrieb Michael Brand:
> Hi Rainer
>
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 20:32, Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My implementation shows the same level always for _all_ headings in the
>> file. Showing or hiding more or less levels for only the _current_
>> heading as I understand you would like, is too hard for me to implement
>> without help.
>
> It was not that hard for me to eliminate this limitation, see
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/17581/focus=29518
>
> Michael

I finally tried your code! Excellent, thanks! Works as expected!
One thing I noticed. It will continue to increment the "Content view to relative level" counter even when all levels are expanded.

Rainer