* Repeating tasks in an interval
@ 2010-02-03  5:02 Robert P. Goldman
From: Robert P. Goldman @ 2010-02-03  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there some way to specify a repeating task over an interval?  That is a task
that is done, for example, every month, over a finite period?

Here's an example that I tried:

DEADLINE: <2009-12-01 Tue +1m>--<2009-11-01 Sun>

But this one doesn't work --- the tasks keep appearing after November ended.

Is this possible?  Do I just have the wrong syntax?  Or must I do this with C-c
C-x c (cloning)?

thanks,
Robert

* Re: Repeating tasks in an interval
@ 2010-02-03  7:29 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-02-03  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. Goldman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Wed, 3 Feb 2010 05:02:51 +0000 (UTC),
Robert P. Goldman wrote:

> Is there some way to specify a repeating task over an interval?  That is a task
> that is done, for example, every month, over a finite period?
>
> Here's an example that I tried:
>
> DEADLINE: <2009-12-01 Tue +1m>--<2009-11-01 Sun>
>
> But this one doesn't work --- the tasks keep appearing after November ended.
>
> Is this possible?  Do I just have the wrong syntax?  Or must I do this with C-c
> C-x c (cloning)?

You can use sexp diary constructs for this: see the Timestamps section
in the org manual, specifically the DIARY-STYLE SEXP ENTRIES heading.

HTH,
eric

* Re: Repeating tasks in an interval
@ 2010-02-03 13:44   ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-02-03 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e.fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Robert P. Goldman

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> At Wed, 3 Feb 2010 05:02:51 +0000 (UTC),
> Robert P. Goldman wrote:
>>
>> Is there some way to specify a repeating task over an interval?  That is a task
>> that is done, for example, every month, over a finite period?
>>
>> Here's an example that I tried:
>>
>> DEADLINE: <2009-12-01 Tue +1m>--<2009-11-01 Sun>
>>
>> But this one doesn't work --- the tasks keep appearing after November ended.
>>
>> Is this possible?  Do I just have the wrong syntax?  Or must I do this with C-c
>> C-x c (cloning)?
>
> You can use sexp diary constructs for this: see the Timestamps section
> in the org manual, specifically the DIARY-STYLE SEXP ENTRIES heading.

One word of clarification: diary sexp entries behave as timestamps, not
as deadlines.

Cloning an item is probably your best option here.

Another possibility is simply to remove the deadline line with C-u C-c C-d
after you no longer require the item.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Repeating tasks in an interval
@ 2010-02-04  4:18     ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2010-02-04  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks to all for the help!  I'll use the cloning.

Best,

* Re: Re: Repeating tasks in an interval
@ 2010-02-04  7:39       ` Ryan Thompson
From: Ryan Thompson @ 2010-02-04  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rpgoldman; +Cc: Matt Lundin, emacs-orgmode

You could also use Remind along with remind2org. I think there's info
about this in org-hacks on Worg.