* Re: Emacs opens a frame for each file in agenda list on org-mobile
@ 2009-11-23 17:42 Christopher Long
From: Christopher Long @ 2009-11-23 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, steve.stevebrown

Dear Steve and All,

    Was this additional instance of emacs problem resolved?
I am having the same problem also on windows XP.
I wonder whether emacsclient or emacsclientw need to be called instead
of a new instance of emacs.

I am using:

org-mode ver 6.33f
emacs 22.2.1
windows XP

Thanks,

Stoph

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Charles Sebold <csebold <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 9:19 AM, *Steve* *Brown* <*steve*.*steve**brown* <at> gmail.com>

> That does seem odd.  Could you maybe do a M-x org-submit-bug-report, and if
> you aren't doing email in Emacs, copy and paste the output (with your
> org-mode configuration, it will prompt you to include it) into an email to
> emacs-orgmode <at> gnu.org?
>
> I'm running Emacs 23 on Windows, and using MobileOrg, and I haven't seen
> that problem.  But we might have a start on it if you could send along your
> configuration and customizations per the above.
>
> This one seems strange enough that maybe it might even be worthwhile to send
> along the .emacs file, just in case (properly sanitized for personal info,
> of course).

I'll do both of the above when I return to work.

Best,

*Steve*

* Re: Emacs opens a frame for each file in agenda list on org-mobile
@ 2009-11-24  9:59 ` Steve Brown
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Steve Brown @ 2009-11-24  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Christopher,

On 23/11/2009 17:42, Christopher Long wrote:
> Dear Steve and All,
>
>     Was this additional instance of emacs problem resolved?
> I am having the same problem also on windows XP.
> I wonder whether emacsclient or emacsclientw need to be called instead
> of a new instance of emacs.

Sadly, I've not managed to resolve this at all.

I did try using (server-start) but the frames still open and they
bitterly complain that a server instance is already running.

I'm going to strip out everything from my .emacs until I just have the
org-mode settings left to see if that changes anything, but I'm not hopeful.

I haven't seen many complaints about this issue, so I assume that it is
uncommon and possibly difficult to replicate.

Unfortunately I don't know how to step through elisp to debug this
myself ;-) I may have a steep learning curve ahead of me.

If someone could give me a hint as to how to do this I'd be grateful.

Best,

Steve

* Re: Emacs opens a frame for each file in agenda list on org-mobile
@ 2009-11-24 11:32   ` Steve Brown
From: Steve Brown @ 2009-11-24 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Okay, a quick follow up on this.

I have kept the number of cutomisations to a minimum in my .emacs with
no effect at all. That is I still get one frame per file in the agenda
file list.

I can't seem to find any settings that would force Emacs to use a single
frame.

I wonder if I should install a different version of Emacs for Windows?
Perhaps the problem lies there?

To limit the PITA aspect of this - I save all my buffers, run
org-mobile-push then close the group from the Windows taskbar . I can
then re-open a single instance of Emacs.

Is there a command to close all frames but the current one? I could add
this to the post push hooks.

Thanks for all your help,

Steve

* Re: Emacs opens a frame for each file in agenda list on org-mobile
@ 2009-11-24 17:00     ` Steve Brown
From: Steve Brown @ 2009-11-24 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 24/11/2009 11:32, Steve Brown wrote:
> Okay, a quick follow up on this.

> Is there a command to close all frames but the current one? I could add
> this to the post push hooks.

Okay, I'm getting somewhere.

I found out how how to step through elisp (hooray!) and called
(debug-on-entry) on (org-mobile-copy-agenda-files)

The new frame was opened when the *Backtrace* buffer showed:

   call-process("E:/Emacs/bin/cmdproxy.exe" nil t nil "-c" "
\"e:/home/Orgfiles/work.org\"")

[please read as all one line]

Now, I'm afraid I'm at a loss.

This seems to be a result of the environment I'm running in, and I can't
install Cygwin - which is why I run Emacs off a USB stick.

So, could someone show me how to close the frames once the push has been
completed using the post-push hook?

Thank you,

Steve

* org-babel for matlab?
@ 2009-11-26 19:06   ` Christopher Long
From: Christopher Long @ 2009-11-26 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear All,

    Has anyone started on a babel mode for matlab?  Or is anyone else
interested
in making it happen?  Or have a suggestion for a good template to start
from (babel-python? babel-R?)  And anyone has an estimate of how time
consuming such a project would be?

    I'd like it to work on Windows and there isn't a console mode of Matlab
on windows, but you can evaluate code with EmacsLink and likely direct
all output to temporary files.
(I know EmacsLink was dropped in R2009a, but some of us are avoiding
upgrading
and hoping that Matlab will return EmacsLink in the future.)

Thanks,

Stoph

* Re: Emacs opens a frame for each file in agenda list on org-mobile
@ 2009-11-26 20:07   ` Christopher Long
From: Christopher Long @ 2009-11-26 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Brown; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear Steve and All,

  I've been able to suppress the problem by commenting out one line
(line 232) in org-mobile.el
(in the version of org I just recently got from git, 6.33f+).  That line is:

;;      (push (cons file link-name) rtn))

  Unfortunately, this also suppresses the update of the .org file of
interest in the staging directory.
Can anyone fluent in list propose how to update the org file without
having the file "pop" open
on Windows XP?

  Also, it is not simply an "emacsclient" issue as I was first guessing.
If I use a .txt file as my org file of interest this gets opened by
notepad rather than emacs
(since I have not "told" Windows to open .txt files with emacs, but I
have allowed org to use txt files.)
(Also note, .txt files are not supported in the present version of
mobileorg, but Richard has written
a version which should be able to access them in the future.)

  Here are more details:

file: org-6.33f\lisp\org-mobile.el

I traced the problem by following:
1. defun org-mobile-push which calls org-mobile-files-alist
2. defun org-mobile-files-alist contains
      (push (cons file link-name) rtn))

Thanks!

Stoph

Steve Brown wrote:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> On 23/11/2009 17:42, Christopher Long wrote:
>> Dear Steve and All,
>>
>>     Was this additional instance of emacs problem resolved?
>> I am having the same problem also on windows XP.
>> I wonder whether emacsclient or emacsclientw need to be called instead
>> of a new instance of emacs.
>
> Sadly, I've not managed to resolve this at all.
>
> I did try using (server-start) but the frames still open and they
> bitterly complain that a server instance is already running.
>
> I'm going to strip out everything from my .emacs until I just have the
> org-mode settings left to see if that changes anything, but I'm not
> hopeful.
>
> I haven't seen many complaints about this issue, so I assume that it
> is uncommon and possibly difficult to replicate.
>
> Unfortunately I don't know how to step through elisp to debug this
> myself ;-) I may have a steep learning curve ahead of me.
>
> If someone could give me a hint as to how to do this I'd be grateful.
>
> Best,
>
> Steve

* Re: org-babel for matlab?
@ 2009-11-27 19:56     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-11-27 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Long; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Christopher,

I do not know of anyone working on matlab support for org-babel.  I am
attaching a template file which contains instructions for adding support
for a new language.  Depending on your level of familiarity with elisp
it could take anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days.
We're still debugging some of the original language specific files :)

Best of Luck! -- Eric

[-- Attachment #2: org-babel-template.el --]

Christopher Long <stophlong@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Dear All,
>
>    Has anyone started on a babel mode for matlab?  Or is anyone else
> interested
> in making it happen?  Or have a suggestion for a good template to
> start from (babel-python? babel-R?)  And anyone has an estimate of how
> time consuming such a project would be?
>
>    I'd like it to work on Windows and there isn't a console mode of Matlab
> on windows, but you can evaluate code with EmacsLink and likely direct
> all output to temporary files.
> (I know EmacsLink was dropped in R2009a, but some of us are avoiding
> upgrading
> and hoping that Matlab will return EmacsLink in the future.)
>

> Thanks,
>
> Stoph

* Re: org-babel for matlab?
@ 2010-02-16 20:16 Bob Jansen
From: Bob Jansen @ 2010-02-16 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schulte.eric; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi list,

Has any progress been made on this? I'm fairly new to org-mode and
org-babel but this sounds to me like a very useful feature.

> Hi Christopher,
>
> I do not know of anyone working on matlab support for org-babel.  I am
> attaching a template file which contains instructions for adding support
> for a new language.  Depending on your level of familiarity with elisp
> it could take anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days.
> We're still debugging some of the original language specific files :)
>
> Best of Luck! -- Eric

> Christopher Long <stophl...@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
> Dear All,
>
>    Has anyone started on a babel mode for matlab?  Or is anyone else
> interested
> in making it happen?  Or have a suggestion for a good template to
> start from (babel-python? babel-R?)  And anyone has an estimate of how
> time consuming such a project would be?
>
>    I'd like it to work on Windows and there isn't a console mode of Matlab
> on windows, but you can evaluate code with EmacsLink and likely direct
> all output to temporary files.
> (I know EmacsLink was dropped in R2009a, but some of us are avoiding
> upgrading
> and hoping that Matlab will return EmacsLink in the future.)
>

> Thanks,
>
> Stoph

Met vriendelijke groet,

Bob Jansen

* Re: org-babel for matlab?
@ 2010-02-17 12:45 ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2010-02-17 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Jansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This is also important for me (in fact, for octave). For now I used the template
file and I can tangle the code correctly, but since I didn't implement any
function for code execution tangling is all I've got.

- Darlan