* Sorting of Lists Beginning with a Link Does Not Work as Expected
@ 2009-11-25 11:04 Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2009-11-25 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

- [[./benighted_on_the_ben.html][Benighted on the Ben.]] A Winter ascent
of Glover's Chimney almost leads to bed & breakfast on the summit of Ben
Nevis.
- [[./route_major.html][Route Major.]] We get lost on the famous route
on Mont Blanc's southern side.
- [[file:a_walk_in_the_berwyns.org][A Walk in the Berwyns]]  Just to
show I don't always get lost.
- [[file:castell_helen_gogarth.org][Castell Helen Gogarth]]  Classic
cliff with a cafe at the top!
- [[file:crowberry_left_fork.org][Crowberry Gully, Left Fork]] Buchaille
Etive Mor. Much more fun than the ordinary straightforward route.
- [[file:first_pinnacle_rib_tryfan.org][First Pinaccle Rib Tryfan]] How
not to go climbing with young children.

Again I am not sure if this is expected behaviour. If I try to sort the
above list using any of the available methods, it doesn't get sorted at all.

Using alpha sort I would expect the list to sort starting with the link
description and then to consider the rest of the text.

Ian.

* Re: Sorting of Lists Beginning with a Link Does Not Work as Expected
@ 2009-11-26  6:21 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-26  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lists; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 25, 2009, at 12:04 PM, Ian Barton wrote:

> - [[./benighted_on_the_ben.html][Benighted on the Ben.]] A Winter
> ascent of Glover's Chimney almost leads to bed & breakfast on the
> summit of Ben Nevis.
> - [[./route_major.html][Route Major.]] We get lost on the famous
> route on Mont Blanc's southern side.
> - [[file:a_walk_in_the_berwyns.org][A Walk in the Berwyns]]  Just to
> show I don't always get lost.
> - [[file:castell_helen_gogarth.org][Castell Helen Gogarth]]  Classic
> cliff with a cafe at the top!
> - [[file:crowberry_left_fork.org][Crowberry Gully, Left Fork]]
> Buchaille Etive Mor. Much more fun than the ordinary straightforward
> route.
> - [[file:first_pinnacle_rib_tryfan.org][First Pinaccle Rib Tryfan]]
> How not to go climbing with young children.
>
> Again I am not sure if this is expected behaviour. If I try to sort
> the above list using any of the available methods, it doesn't get
> sorted at all.
>
> Using alpha sort I would expect the list to sort starting with the
> link description and then to consider the rest of the text.

Hi Ian,

the sorting algorithm is not smart enough to analyze links, so this
will be sorted
the the link URL, which it is.

- Carsten

* Re: Sorting of Lists Beginning with a Link Does Not Work as Expected
@ 2009-11-26  7:19   ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2009-11-26  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2009, at 12:04 PM, Ian Barton wrote:
>
>> - [[./benighted_on_the_ben.html][Benighted on the Ben.]] A Winter
>> ascent of Glover's Chimney almost leads to bed & breakfast on the
>> summit of Ben Nevis.
>> - [[./route_major.html][Route Major.]] We get lost on the famous route
>> on Mont Blanc's southern side.
>> - [[file:a_walk_in_the_berwyns.org][A Walk in the Berwyns]]  Just to
>> show I don't always get lost.
>> - [[file:castell_helen_gogarth.org][Castell Helen Gogarth]]  Classic
>> cliff with a cafe at the top!
>> - [[file:crowberry_left_fork.org][Crowberry Gully, Left Fork]]
>> Buchaille Etive Mor. Much more fun than the ordinary straightforward
>> route.
>> - [[file:first_pinnacle_rib_tryfan.org][First Pinaccle Rib Tryfan]]
>> How not to go climbing with young children.
>>
>> Again I am not sure if this is expected behaviour. If I try to sort
>> the above list using any of the available methods, it doesn't get
>> sorted at all.
>>
>> Using alpha sort I would expect the list to sort starting with the
>> link description and then to consider the rest of the text.
>
> Hi Ian,
>
> the sorting algorithm is not smart enough to analyze links, so this will
> be sorted
> the the link URL, which it is.

Thanks. I'll sort them manually.

@ 2009-11-26  9:04     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-26  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Barton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 26, 2009, at 8:19 AM, Ian Barton wrote:

> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> On Nov 25, 2009, at 12:04 PM, Ian Barton wrote:
>>> - [[./benighted_on_the_ben.html][Benighted on the Ben.]] A Winter
>>> ascent of Glover's Chimney almost leads to bed & breakfast on the
>>> summit of Ben Nevis.
>>> - [[./route_major.html][Route Major.]] We get lost on the famous
>>> route on Mont Blanc's southern side.
>>> - [[file:a_walk_in_the_berwyns.org][A Walk in the Berwyns]]  Just
>>> to show I don't always get lost.
>>> - [[file:castell_helen_gogarth.org][Castell Helen Gogarth]]
>>> Classic cliff with a cafe at the top!
>>> - [[file:crowberry_left_fork.org][Crowberry Gully, Left Fork]]
>>> Buchaille Etive Mor. Much more fun than the ordinary
>>> straightforward route.
>>> - [[file:first_pinnacle_rib_tryfan.org][First Pinaccle Rib
>>> Tryfan]] How not to go climbing with young children.
>>>
>>> Again I am not sure if this is expected behaviour. If I try to
>>> sort the above list using any of the available methods, it doesn't
>>> get sorted at all.
>>>
>>> Using alpha sort I would expect the list to sort starting with the
>>> link description and then to consider the rest of the text.
>> Hi Ian,
>> the sorting algorithm is not smart enough to analyze links, so this
>> will be sorted
>> the the link URL, which it is.
> Thanks. I'll sort them manually.

The sorting machine allow for a user-written function to compare
entries....

- Carsten

> Ian.

- Carsten

* Re: Sorting of Lists Beginning with a Link Does Not Work as Expected
@ 2009-11-26  9:30       ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2009-11-26  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Nov 26, 2009, at 8:19 AM, Ian Barton wrote:
>
>> Carsten Dominik wrote:

>>> Hi Ian,
>>> the sorting algorithm is not smart enough to analyze links, so this
>>> will be sorted
>>> the the link URL, which it is.
>> Thanks. I'll sort them manually.
>
> The sorting machine allow for a user-written function to compare
> entries....

Thanks. Time to dig out my regexp book.

Ian.