* C-a marks whole buffer instead of moving to beginning of line
@ 2009-11-18 16:30 Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2009-11-18 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have

Org Special Ctrl A/E: Hide Value Value Menu reversed: true line boundary first

Emacs still marks the whole buffer with C-a instead of setting point to begin of line.

C-e works as expected.
Where is emacs overriding my C-a setting? I can't find it.

Rainer

Org-mode version 6.33trans
GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-10-14 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)

* Re: C-a marks whole buffer instead of moving to beginning of line
@ 2009-11-18 17:28 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-18 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 18, 2009, at 5:30 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> I have
>
> Org Special Ctrl A/E: Hide Value Value Menu reversed: true line
> boundary first
>
> Emacs still marks the whole buffer with C-a instead of setting point
> to begin of line.

What does `C-h k C-a' give you?

I guess the culprit must be something like pc-select or cua-mode
or similar, because C-a on windows is supposed to select the buffer.

- Carsten

> C-e works as expected.
> Where is emacs overriding my C-a setting? I can't find it.
>
> Rainer
>

> Org-mode version 6.33trans
> GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-10-14 on
> LENNART-69DE564 (patched)

- Carsten

* Re: C-a marks whole buffer instead of moving to beginning of line
@ 2009-11-18 20:28 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-11-18 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:30:32 +0100,
Rainer Stengele wrote:

> I have
>
> Org Special Ctrl A/E: Hide Value Value Menu reversed: true line boundary first
>
> Emacs still marks the whole buffer with C-a instead of setting point to begin of line.

This sounds like a cua setting?  Do you remap other keys like C-c and C-v etc?

* Re: C-a marks whole buffer instead of moving to beginning of line
@ 2009-11-19 14:45   ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2009-11-19 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I get:

C-a runs the command mark-whole-buffer, which is an interactive
compiled Lisp function in `simple.el'.

It is bound to C-a, C-x h, <menu-bar> <edit> <mark-whole-buffer>.

(mark-whole-buffer)

Put point at beginning and mark at end of buffer.
You probably should not use this function in Lisp programs;
it is usually a mistake for a Lisp function to use any subroutine
that uses or sets the mark.

I can't seem to find the beast. I already switched off cua mode.
How can I find where this setting is done?

Thanks,
Rainer

@ 2009-11-20  7:58     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-20  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 19, 2009, at 3:45 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> I get:
>

> C-a runs the command mark-whole-buffer, which is an interactive
> compiled Lisp function in `simple.el'.
>
> It is bound to C-a, C-x h, <menu-bar> <edit> <mark-whole-buffer>.
>
> (mark-whole-buffer)
>
> Put point at beginning and mark at end of buffer.
> You probably should not use this function in Lisp programs;
> it is usually a mistake for a Lisp function to use any subroutine
> that uses or sets the mark.
>

> I can't seem to find the beast. I already switched off cua mode.
> How can I find where this setting is done?

Hi Rainer

clear out your .emacs file and add stuff back in until the
problem appears.  If your .emacs file is big, do the
adding/removing in a bisecting way.  If it gets frustrating, see
it as an opportunity toe clean up this file :-)

HTH

- Carsten

> Thanks,
> Rainer
>
> Carsten Dominik schrieb:
>>
>> On Nov 18, 2009, at 5:30 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:
>>
>>> I have
>>>
>>> Org Special Ctrl A/E: Hide Value Value Menu reversed: true line
>>> boundary first
>>>
>>> Emacs still marks the whole buffer with C-a instead of setting point
>>> to begin of line.
>>
>> What does `C-h k C-a' give you?
>>
>> I guess the culprit must be something like pc-select or cua-mode
>> or similar, because C-a on windows is supposed to select the buffer.
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

>>> C-e works as expected.
>>> Where is emacs overriding my C-a setting? I can't find it.
>>>
>>> Rainer
>>>

>>> Org-mode version 6.33trans
>>> GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-10-14 on
>>> LENNART-69DE564 (patched)

>> - Carsten

- Carsten

* Re: C-a marks whole buffer instead of moving to beginning of line => solved
@ 2009-11-25 15:40       ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2009-11-25 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

solved.

Anyway I could not find the setting at all,
but after upgrading to

GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-11-04 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched)

(from the emacsw32 site) and in the initial setup switching most of the special windows stuff "off" C-a finally stops marking the whole buffer.

Thanks,
Rainer