* Evangelize the world with Org-mode
@ 2009-10-16  9:29 Sébastien Vauban
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2009-10-16  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

... or, at least, my colleagues.

Hello,

I have the following problem. I write a lot of docs. They were before in
LaTeX, and now in Org. I even write our Web site. Before it was FrontPage or
Muse, now it is Org as well.

Using Org allows a clear separation between the "contents" and the "form",
even for LaTeX, with a minimalistic Wiki-type syntax. That's the message I
convey to try to get my colleagues using this.

Problems:
- They don't use Emacs, but Vim... or Word
- Some know a bit of LaTeX, but only a few
- They're not willing to change so easily...

How do I do, then?  We have to collaborate on docs. Currently, it is mainly
Word or OpenOffice docs with changes to be made written down in an email. Very
efficient!

I absolutely want to change this, but the path is not easy. I cannot tell my
boss: just install and use Emacs, Org-mode, LaTeX and SVN, and you're good.

What we would need, IMHO, is:

- something like TeXMaker: a simple editor that's more or less WYSIWYG, and
  generates a PDF on one click;

- or, even better (as it would be install-less): a Wiki based on Org syntax
  with document generation capability (button to generate a PDF).

That's my current feeling.

Does someone of you have a solution to bridge the editing gap and go in that
direction?

Is the Wiki option fool, or does something exist that's almost doing it?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Evangelize the world with Org-mode
@ 2009-10-16 10:41 ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2009-10-16 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sebastien,

I don't think any of this is crazy.

 The first idea is similar to the HTML composition GUIs which now seem to be
everywhere.  I'm told it's a pretty complex task to get them to reliably be
both WYSISYG and to maintain syntactically correct markup through multiple
edits, but people are attempting it---with some success for HTML and BBcode.

Could org-syntax be used in a Wiki? I suppose so with some elisp or
scripting infrasturcture.  In fact, such an idea is has potential to help
with other problems as well, such as making simple changes to your
server-stored org-documents when at a non-emacs machine or a simple
web-enabled device like a smartphone.   I imagine that the overhead of
processing org-markup to html via Emacs is high-ish in comparision with
traditonal ways of generating html from other markup languages.   But with
static pages and mostly internal use, that should be no issue.

Look at this link for an example of online PDF generation.  In this case
it's from another lightweight markup language called ReStructured Text, and
uses pdflatex on a server to automatically generate pdf's.

http://rst2a.com/

If they can do it.....

Scot

* Re: Evangelize the world with Org-mode
@ 2009-10-16 11:08   ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2009-10-16 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scot Becker; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

There already is Worg for wiki and pdf generation is already a core
function of org-mode.
Not sure if i'm missing something here or not.

@ 2009-10-16 12:09 ` Karl Maihofer
From: Karl Maihofer @ 2009-10-16 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am 16.10.09 11:29, schrieb Sébastien Vauban:
> - or, even better (as it would be install-less): a Wiki based on Org syntax
>    with document generation capability (button to generate a PDF).

Perhaps ikiwiki?

"Ikiwiki is a wiki compiler. It converts wiki pages into HTML pages
suitable for publishing on a website. Ikiwiki stores pages and history
in a revision control system such as Subversion or Git."

"If you prefer to use some *other markup language*, ikiwiki allows
others to easily be added by plugins."

http://ikiwiki.info/
http://ikiwiki.info/features/

Karl

* Re: Evangelize the world with Org-mode
@ 2009-10-16 12:16   ` Karl Maihofer
From: Karl Maihofer @ 2009-10-16 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am 16.10.09 14:09, schrieb Karl Maihofer:
> Perhaps ikiwiki?

Ha! Have a look at this:

http://www.golden-gryphon.com/blog/manoj/blog/2008/06/08/Using_org-mode_with_Ikiwiki/

There was already a discussion about ikiwiki on this list:

http://search.gmane.org/search.php?group=gmane.emacs.orgmode&query=ikiwiki

Karl

* Re: Evangelize the world with Org-mode
@ 2009-10-16 14:20   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-10-16 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Maihofer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Karl Maihofer <ignoramus@gmx.de> writes:

> Am 16.10.09 11:29, schrieb Sébastien Vauban:
>> - or, even better (as it would be install-less): a Wiki based on Org syntax
>>    with document generation capability (button to generate a PDF).
>
> Perhaps ikiwiki?

also blorgit could be relevant http://orgmode.org/worg/blorgit.php

* Re: Evangelize the world with Org-mode
@ 2009-10-16 15:31     ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-10-16 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

How about a click-thru to download a PDF of the current page?

I need to go back and look into Worg some more.

@ 2009-10-16 18:13 ` Nagarjuna G.
From: Nagarjuna G. @ 2009-10-16 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

2009/10/16 Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com>:
> I absolutely want to change this, but the path is not easy. I cannot tell my
> boss: just install and use Emacs, Org-mode, LaTeX and SVN, and you're good.

We need an efficient middleware that transforms org buffer into
html/pdf/latex as a web service.    This, to my understanding is the
bottleneck for achieving the dream. If we do this as web service or as
a corba kind of service in a desktop system then independent of which
template language is used for making dynamic websites, or which
toolkit is used for making the GUI of an application, we will be able
to serve the requests.

Nagarjuna

* Re: Evangelize the world with Org-mode
@ 2009-10-19 14:37     ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2009-10-19 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

"Eric Schulte" wrote:
> Karl Maihofer <ignoramus-Mmb7MZpHnFY@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> Am 16.10.09 11:29, schrieb Sébastien Vauban:
>>>
>>> - or, even better (as it would be install-less): a Wiki based on Org syntax
>>>    with document generation capability (button to generate a PDF).
>>
>> Perhaps ikiwiki?
>
> also blorgit could be relevant http://orgmode.org/worg/blorgit.php

Thank you all for your answers.

As I am in favor of some brainless solution ;-), I first will give IkiWiki a
try. With the plugin of Manosh, and with the already built-in integration with
VC systems such as SVN (that we use at work), it seems exactly to be what I'm
looking for...

As well, moving our current Wiki (DokuWiki) to it seems feasible.

I'll give you my feedback in a couple of days, as soon as I can deploy and
test it.

Best regards,
  Seb

--